LADIES: Skipping exercise for that time of the month?

Options
I'm not gonna get to graphic but I haven't been dieting and exercising for a full month yet, so this is the first time I will be on my period since exercising. My periods are usually quite painful and exhausting on their own, so I honestly don't think I will be able to exercise during it. Will a week of not exercising set me back a lot? Any tips? Sorry if it is TMI.

Replies

• MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think it would matter than much if you adjust your calories accordingly.

I usually only have a bad first day of my period, so after one day of sweatpants and Midol, I can get back up & running.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I think if you don't work out, you'll be upset about it in the long run. If I am feeling icky during that time of the month, I will ride the stationary bike instead of run. Or, I will go on a walk. SOMETHING to keep me moving.
  • lottieb123
    lottieb123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've always found that exercise makes my period pain better and gives me more energy. Only some exercises help though; with sit-ups or riding a stationary bike being my favourite. It might be worth trying a few things out to see if you feel better. If you really do feel awful then just skip it - it's better that you don't associate exercise with feeling bad!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna get to graphic but I haven't been dieting and exercising for a full month yet, so this is the first time I will be on my period since exercising. My periods are usually quite painful and exhausting on their own, so I honestly don't think I will be able to exercise during it. Will a week of not exercising set me back a lot? Any tips? Sorry if it is TMI.

Your calorie recommendation from MFP is at a deficit without exercise, meaning you would lose weight without any exercise at all. So no, skipping a few days of workouts shouldn't affect your weight loss.
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I think if you don't work out, you'll be upset about it in the long run. If I am feeling icky during that time of the month, I will ride the stationary bike instead of run. Or, I will go on a walk. SOMETHING to keep me moving.

This.
  • BeccaJane_x_
    BeccaJane_x_ Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Mine can be extremley painful to the point where I physically can't move! After the major pain goes, I find walking helps. Also, I don't know why, but doing lunges help the pain! :smile:
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Generally the first day I may have to skip, but exercise does help with cramps and flow.
  • summer92008
    summer92008 Posts: 202
    Options
    For some reason exercising doesn't help my pain. It somehow makes them worse. Like, I will be walking and I will have to stop from the cramps being so bad. It doesn't go away for whatever reason. I know my weight loss will be slower if I don't exercise, but I'm still eating at a deficit. So I don't know. Just looking for opinions.
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hi

Although my first two days of menstruation and the last are the worst I usually don't feel extreme pain anymore after my children. I was doing the same thing not exercising during this time until people started telling me that's not an excuse. The pain is a problem though and if its too painful skip it if you take meds then you may be able to do small exercises. Try dancing, cleaning, doing laundry just try not to stay sedentary that coupled with cravings during this time are a bad combo. Good luck and feel better. I am happy you shared I was thinking this same thing.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Exercise tends to ease the cramping (if you have that, I was blessed and never have experienced cramps and only a two day period since I was 12 but have many female running partners who do ) and bleeding of menstruation. There's no reason not to exercise.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    We are all different, so it's difficult to say whether it's going to be good or bad for you. Personally I find my excruciating cramps get (a little) better with gentle exercise like walking. But other women find that it makes it worse. So go with what feels right to you.

I would say that if you have a full week of bad cramps to the point where you can't exercise each month, I would see a doctor and get it checked out. A full week of being unable to do anything due to pain is severely debillitating.
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I never skip exercise unless I'm sick and only then only if I'm running a fever. During that time of the month, it's business as usual as far as workouts.
  • summer92008
    summer92008 Posts: 202
    Options
    Well I sucked it up and went on a 5 miles walk this morning. It wasn't pleasant feeling, but I'm glad I did it instead of sitting at home like a bump on a pickle. Thanks guys.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    An entire week of doing nothing? Really? I mean you don't have to exercise ever but I just can't see putting my life on hold for an entire week every month. I behave as normal while on my period.
  • CarlaMichelle
    CarlaMichelle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    skipping a week won't hurt anything BUT in my experience getting exerices during my period not only take away some of the pain, but it also make it end sooner than it would if i was not active.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    ^^ good. Usually cycle day 1 is a toughie for me, but I'll at least get in a walk. I'm not doing abs that day though. :noway: :tongue: The other days are workout at usual.
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am sitting here at the computer cuz there was no bloody way I was gonna get to my aquacise class today...I am not feeling well either, but I'm gonna try to get on my elliptical today anyway...don't stress out about it, it's only a day here or there, and there probably is still something you CAN do if you feel like you just can't miss a day of exercise, discipline-wise.
  • CarlaMichelle
    CarlaMichelle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    For some reason exercising doesn't help my pain. It somehow makes them worse. Like, I will be walking and I will have to stop from the cramps being so bad. It doesn't go away for whatever reason. I know my weight loss will be slower if I don't exercise, but I'm still eating at a deficit. So I don't know. Just looking for opinions.

i've never had it that bad, i don't even know anyone who has it that bad... you probably have but have you seen a doctor about that?
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating at a deficit, it won't matter. Exercise is for fitness, not weight loss.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I suffer with incredible discomfort for the first 2 days and I'm so tired and drained throughout, so I usually stick to walking, or if I can muster up the energy I use the seated machines (I feel too yucky to do the cross trainer).... I definitely don't avaid exercise because that makes me feel even more rubbish and I just want to eat everything in the house.

That said I have forced myself to do my usual routine this time round and it has really helped beat the fatigue and I have had a lot less pain.

Do what you feel is best for your body xXx