Will someone please explain to me what "Skinny-Fat" is.

Options
JG762
JG762 Posts: 571 Member
I mean WTF?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Someone who is skinny but not very toned. They usually look very, very good.

The traditional skinny fat person is the one that will look very good but they arent really in shape. Ask them to run very far and they usually cannot and they arent very strong.

Nothing wrong it them, most look extremely good.

and they whine alot.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Someone who is skinny but not very toned. They usually look very, very good.

and they whine alot.

Or someone with little muscle mass who technically meets the definition of a normal BMI by weight and height but in actuality is carrying an unhealthily-high percentage of body fat. In other words: Me.

I do whine a lot, though. A lot is supposed to be two words. Waaah! :tongue:
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    and they whine alot.
    Truth. :laugh:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Miley Cyrus
  • thavoice
    Options
    ...and many think they are "in shape" because they arent big but can easily be outran by a much bigger person who may be overweight but conditioned.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
    I had no idea what its meaning was and now at least it makes sense.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think it's just a new term for women to use to body shame themselves and each other. It makes no sense. Fat is fat. Lack of fat is skinny. I don't hear it used like 'skinny and weak'. I hear it as 'small but not a hardbody'.

Really, Miley Cyrus? She looks pretty hardbody to me!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I think it's just a new term for women to use to body shame themselves and each other. It makes no sense. Fat is fat. Lack of fat is skinny. I don't hear it used like 'skinny and weak'. I hear it as 'small but not a hardbody'.

I'm going to have to agree with you. Dare to say you don't want a lot of visible muscle around here and people will jump all over you and women will start posting pics asking "Do I look big to you?" Many times my answer would honestly be yes. Not that I think it's a bad thing, not at all, it's just not the look I, personally, am striving for. I'd like to be a normal BMI with a healthy percentage of body fat. That's it. I'd give my left pinky toe to look like Miley Cyrus. If she's skinny-fat, I'll take it! :laugh:
  • thavoice
    Options

There was a time she could have been considered it, but most could contribute that to just growing up and puberty and such.

Guys def fit the def of skinny fat as well.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'd think Miley is just skinny, not skinny fat. She doesn't look like she has a high body fat percentage.

I think skinny fat is all about body fat percentage and normal/low weight. It's people who's weight is in the "normal" range, but have a higher than expected body fat percentage because they have so little muscle.

You see this a lot when people just lose weight through dieting and don't lift heavy or otherwise exercise. They get smaller, but they don't reduce much in body fat, and some even have their body fat percentage increase. So, now they're in the "thin" category for weight, but quite flabby and usually not very active/athletic/fit.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I guess skinny fat would be at a low weight, but still have excess fat. So, usually would mean a droopy butt (because of lack of muscle), and fat around the tummy.

A lot of what people call skinny fat is actually just skinny.
  • hmontigney
    hmontigney Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As far as Miley Cyrus goes, she may or may not be "Skinny Fat" but I'd bang that like a screen door ina hurricane.
    Oh yes....

^ This made me literally laugh out loud....
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    As far as Miley Cyrus goes, she may or may not be "Skinny Fat" but I'd bang that like a screen door ina hurricane.
    Oh yes....

I had quite the opposite reaction.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Someone who is skinny but not very toned. They usually look very, very good with their clothes on.

FIFY!

Skinny fat = look good with clothes on, but not so much when the clothes come off.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Oh yes....

I agree, I thought it was a disgusting comment for him to make about a young girl that could be his daughter's age.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Someone who is skinny but not very toned. They usually look very, very good with their clothes on.

FIFY!

Skinny fat = look good with clothes on, but not so much when the clothes come off.

this 100%
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Skinny Fat is when a person has a normal BMI but an overweight body fat percentage.

This is why two people of the exact same weight and height can look remarkably different standing next to one another. It all boils down to toning and body composition.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Oh yes....

I agree, I thought it was a disgusting comment for him to make about a young girl that could be his daughter's age.

Well at least the Morality Police are out in force. ETA: She's a young WOMAN.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Or someone with little muscle mass who technically meets the definition of a normal BMI by weight and height but in actuality is carrying an unhealthily-high percentage of body fat.

This.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
    I had no idea what its meaning was and now at least it makes sense.
    Oh yes....

Ew.