Any people here that DIDN'T gain weight with Mirena

Options
13»

Replies

• crazyincolorado84
    crazyincolorado84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was on it for the full five years and was probably the thinnest I've ever been in my life. I ate right and exercised a few times each week and weighed about 135lbs at 5'7". I did have secondary infertility after taking it our though. I can't say for sure it was the mirena, but I got pregnant with my first child within one month of trying and then when we couldn't get pregnant after the mirena I got tested and it turns out I was possibly in early menopause......at 27!!!!! So, basically do what feel right for you, and if you tart to gain a bunch of weight despite good diet and physical activity it's super simple and painless to get removed. Good luck!
  • yesImanaturalblue
    yesImanaturalblue Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Had the Mirena for a full 5 years, lost 100lbs during that time. Though, it did make me a little crazy sometimes. I noticed a change once I had it taken out. My moods calmed down quite a bit.
  • ashleeei
    ashleeei Posts: 35
    Options
    Cant say anything for Morena except my doctor suggested it for my next form of BC. 2.5 years ago I got paragard and I LOVE IT! It does create heavy and more painful cramps but I had the before too and its really not any different and its nothing I cant handle. There were months the 1st year that were VERY heavy but it has gone back to a normal heavy. The doctor said that morena has only 1 type of hormone in it and will get rid of my period which 1. I DO NOT want hormones, and 2. I like to get my period monthly and know its normal and I am normal and not pregnant, etc.... (if that makes sense) lol

I will be removing paragard tomorrow to try and conceive and plan on having paragard after again.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for a year, have lost 90 lbs, and haven't gotten pregnant. It's cool with me.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second mirena, and I've also lost weight just fine with it. It's my favorite out of every method I've tried.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    That would be me. I didn't notice any weight changes except those caused by restricting calories and exercising more. I love my Mirena. My periods are much lighter now.
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My point was simply that it was a minimal amount in comparison. Anything that is put into the body to stop a "natural" occurring process of a woman's cycle or pregnancy has the potential to have side effects. For me, it was a safer option to have this per my doctor, due to migraines and other health concerns. While I don't discredit the fact that some women gained weight on the Mirena, I do think it is more plausable that the pill or depo would cause more of this reaction as the increased amounts hormones can throw the body's metabolism off. Additionally, women with PCOS (myself) could have issues with this as well. Of course every woman is different and discussing risk factors with their own doctor is most important.

I have the Mirena and have had it for the last year and a half. I gained no weight on it. My doctor put me on it because it only releases hormones into the uterus, not the blood stream like other birth controls (which can make you gain weight). The first month I had it I was absolutely miserable--constant cramping, surprise spotting, etc. and I even made an appointment to had it removed. That said, after the first 3.5 weeks I LOVE it. Non-existant periods (though some minor PMS symptoms still), I don't worry about pregnancy or forgetting to take my pill, etc. It's been fantastic for me. Stay away from forums--they were terrifying when I first got mine and had such miserable cramping.

The hormones might not be released directly into the blood, but you can't just contain hormones in the uterus. Even the Mirena site states that some hormones will enter the blood stream.

In comparison to birth control pills and other contraceptives and just hormone concentrations in general, the amount that makes it into the bloodstream is negligible, no?

20 mcg of levonorgestrel a day is released initially. This amount is decreased by about 50% over the five years. In comparison, at least 0.18 MG, not MCG are released into the bloodstream daily on your typical low dosage birth control (I'm using thepill, or ortho tri cyclen lo, for reference here).

That means 0.02 mg of levonorgestrel is released into your uterus initially, which is a relatively small amount to be released overall, making the amount that makes it into your bloodstream insignificant.

I wouldn't say anything is negligible. It might be a small amount, but it's still there. It's also impossible to tell how much each woman might have make it into her blood because that would vary.

I'm someone who had a positive experience on it. I've also had a positive experience with Ortho tri cyclen. I wasn't saying she shouldn't, I was just pointing out that the hormones can make it into the blood.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for a little over a year now and I LOVE it! I DID gain weight at first though, with no change in eating or exercise habits. I am steadily losing weight now, perhaps because my body has gotten used to the hormones. I've only had one period while on it as well, which is amazing. I absolutely love mine and highly recommend it.

Edit: Mistype.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm reporting back in. I got it on July 25. I know it hasn't been all that long, but my weight is still going down (about 2lbs lost since the 25th). I had some bleeding/spotting for the first couple of days after getting it put in and I just started my period (pretty sure it is, since it's about that time anyway). So far I'm loving it.