The Biggest Loser show seems to contradict what were taught

Options
1234568»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Their food is mostly protein. It's a myth that you need as much protein as usually advocated to retain muscle mass. 500-600 calories of protein would be enough. Don't forget that these are people who work out for hours every day, people who didn't work out before, so you can expect some newbie gains too

I think you are saying it wrong because 500/4= grams of protein.

You are right, I did mean 125-150 grams, but I chose to use calories to put it into perspective that it is entirely possible to get enough protein on a 800-1200 calorie diet.

Most women only need 40-60g unless you're an athlete. I lose about 2-3 pounds week sticking to 800-1200. I do light home strength training and walking. That's it.

What you do and claim is working for you would not work for many women here and in general. Please don't use the term 'most women' when you're just using yourself as your evidence.
    The general rec for women is usually 46-50g.

While I could argue that these numbers should be a bare minimum, not a goal, I will leave that for another thread. The contestants, including women, are anything but general. They are a specific group who participates in heavy physical activities 3-6 hours a day, not your average office worker.
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    MFP does teach starvation mode. It's right in their software message. Or did they finally get rid of it?
    Nope. Saw the "warning" three days ago.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The human body is far more efficient and resilient than the average dieter seems to realize.

How many Jews actually managed to survive during the Holocaust on water and porridge mixed with sawdust? There was an obese man medically fasted, i.e. no food, for around a year. Hundreds of millions of human beings around the world undereat, and many of them have done so for years and years.

Our current dieting mentality is based off a lot of bullocks and alarmist fears. You have people thinking that missing a day of food is the end of the road, and that under eating for a couple weeks is going to permanently kill their metabolism.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Just a casual reminder that general protein recommendations are for your average sedentary person of average weight, not looking to lose or gain weight.

And that need =/= optimal.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Okay okay I decided to find a free stream of two episodes of the Biggest Loser and watched them back to back. I must say that is one of the most obviously staged completely fake "reality" TV shows I have ever seen. How anyone can look at that and say "seems legit" especially after the personal trainers look directly at the camera and hold up some "Extra sugar free doublemint gum" to take the time to explain how Extra sugar-free gum (specifically the Extra brand) is a great way to lose weight (complete with smile and nod and holding up of the product) I do not know.

It is editing smoke and mirrors mixed in with fake drama and product placement....

but damn if it isn't entertaining. Might have to watch more of that.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I live every aspect of my life as if it were reality television.

I live mine like a japanese game show.

In - to see where this goes.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I may have posted this earlier in this thread, I can't remember. The final edited product does *seem* to contradict what we were taught, but the reality is - it doesn't contradict anything. The final product is a fantasy.

http://www.cracked.com/article_21137_5-details-they-cut-from-my-season-the-biggest-loser_p2.html
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it until i saw it on Netflix 2-3 years ago. Binge season 1 to 11 in a matter of weeks..All this while laying down going to town with potato chips.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it until i saw it on Netflix 2-3 years ago. Binge season 1 to 11 in a matter of weeks..All this while laying down going to town with potato chips.

watched a marathon while eating mcnuggets and icecream.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I may have posted this earlier in this thread, I can't remember. The final edited product does *seem* to contradict what we were taught, but the reality is - it doesn't contradict anything. The final product is a fantasy.

http://www.cracked.com/article_21137_5-details-they-cut-from-my-season-the-biggest-loser_p2.html

"Hey, losing meniscus still counts as weight loss."
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I think that ultimately calories in calories out is the biggest factor in losing weight like you said. The difference with "junk" food is that it causes you to crave more food. Therefore it is hard to maintain a calorie deficit.

Huh?

to put it simply, everything that comes out of a nutritionists mouth is opinion, not science.

simply put, NO one knows if eating less processed sources, more raw sources of different foods which contain different levels of nutrients all in different bio-available forms are any better or worse for us than a multivitamin, which have been argued to be almost worthless.

"You need to eat nutritious food, clean calories, and cut out the empty calories."

But, why can't I enjoy a coke with some Jack at the end of my day, and plan out my 2000 calorie diet around that? If I eat a multivitamin and greens throughout my week..

There was a guy in kansas, wanted to prove his students wrong, so he ate chips and little debbies and junk, but in a calorie deficit, and he lost weight. In fact, all his markers for health at his physical afterwards had improved.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

It doesn't matter what you eat, your body will break down the complex carbs into simple glucose, and send that into your bloodstream. It doesn't matter if you eat an apple or a snack cake (albeit the sources and ratios of the types of sugar will be different, the effect on calories is the same... hmm....)

protein powder vs meat

bread vs no carbs.

it doesn't matter what you eat, it matters how much you eat, in terms of energy. You can count calories if you want, but I just watch the scale over time.

Did that make more sense?

ETA: Bombshell, I meant we should eat what we want, and we should all choose to refrain from overeating. As to HOW each of us comes to Jesus, I don't really think I'm an authority to tell someone else how to eat, I dunno what they like. Less processed food has less calories in it though, and that will make it easier for someone to stick to a calorie goal..
  • Wasatcher
    Wasatcher Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    is it wrong to have both ice cream and potato chips while watching one broadcast of the biggest loser?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Okay okay I decided to find a free stream of two episodes of the Biggest Loser and watched them back to back. I must say that is one of the most obviously staged completely fake "reality" TV shows I have ever seen. How anyone can look at that and say "seems legit" especially after the personal trainers look directly at the camera and hold up some "Extra sugar free doublemint gum" to take the time to explain how Extra sugar-free gum (specifically the Extra brand) is a great way to lose weight (complete with smile and nod and holding up of the product) I do not know.

It is editing smoke and mirrors mixed in with fake drama and product placement....

but damn if it isn't entertaining. Might have to watch more of that.

None of which alters the fact that, season after season, groups of people lose an incredible amount of fat very fast.

Some of which, having been booted off the weight loss ranch, continue to cut weight very fast while back at home.

And a few of those people have maintained their losses years later.

I'm not speaking to the rightness or wrongness of this extreme, but the OP is asking why all the weight loss "rules" don't seem to apply to some contestants from a reality show that's been running for over 10 years now.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    is it wrong to have both ice cream and potato chips while watching one broadcast of the biggest loser?

I don't think so. In fact I think they should make a "drinking" game out of the Biggest Loser but instead of drinks have spoonfuls of ice cream.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    No, the reality is much simpler. Nutrition is bullsh*t.

My 3 month old daughter needs only milk to thrive and have the energy to get through the day, and the contestants, and anyone else with that level of bodyfat...

Will use the stores of fatty acids on their body as food. So long as essential vitamins and minerals are ingested, along with essential amino acids, you don't need to eat.

There was a 400 pound man in the 70's who fasted for 380 days under doctor's supervision. Couple missteps in refeeding him, but he got to 180 or something like that, and to this day he's slightly overweight, not obese like he used to be.

What we NEED for nutrition is only what this magnificent machine requires.

Most of the starvation mode, eating to fuel, it's all hype.

Coma patients exist on protien powder with added carbs and fats, in a shake, fed through a feeding tube.

I mean, honestly, the fact that we all haven't woken up to this realization before now is astounding. At least, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm ashamed of myself for not following common sense.

Huh?

:laugh: glad I wasn't the only one :blushing: