Any other divorce/break-up weight loss successes???

Options

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My fiancé of 3 years left me December of 2012 (turned out to be the best Xmas present ever).

I've since accomplished the following:

*Quit smoking tobacco
    *Quit diet soda (was drinking this all day; every day - now occasionally drink a Zevia)
    *Quit coffee (turns out this was a major contributor to my anxiety attacks - still occasionally have a cup or something fancy at the coffee shop once a month)
    *I've been eating much healthier (no more fast food every day - yeah, I was sick all the time because this was all we ate)
    *I've lost 22 pounds
    *I'm finally starting to get my business off the ground, and have had features on Cosmopolitan (their website, not their magazine) and Buzzfeed
    *My anxiety has eased up significantly
    *My blood sugars are under better control

This completely kicks *kitten*, but I'm never quitting coffee. I do drink it unsweetened now though :)
  • Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone through a relationship break up BUT I recently cut off ties with some very toxic friends and honestly that is what motivates me at the gym most days haha. I don't even know I'd be so focused if I didn't have that OTHER weight off my shoulders!!
  • Fat2Fit2Fineee
    Options
    I'm going through a divorce and I haven't been this on track EVER!! Anyone else having focused success changing their lives after a break-up?

This is truly the happiest I've been in a really, really long time!

Bye_bye_bye.gif

Been there and done that, sorry to hear you have to go through it.

Short term, you can use the divorce to motivate you to get in shape but at some point it has to be about wanting to make yourself better and not about making him jealous/sorry he left/etc.

Stay smart, eat right, and don't overtrain and you'll be fine. It really does feel like a weight off your shoulders when you finally sign the papers.

@BostonWolf LOL! you've misunderstood... I have ZERO intentions of making him jealous or saying "look what you're missing out on" it's ALL ABOUT me getting my life on track in everywhere possible. I do agree fitness should never be about "getting back at someone" tho... so thanks for the concern but not even close to that. :)
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yep fiance of 1 year left me for someone in better shape which in turn motivated me to get back into peak physical condition. Like the above response it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I now eat healthier, work out more and am way less stressed.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Fiancee and I split in January 2013. A month later she announces that she's in a new relationship with Porsche-driving 27 year-old.

I guess my pics might count as a success, but mentally definitely not so.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Separated almost a year ago and although my results are creeping along like a drunken snail, they are coming and I want her drooling and slapping herself in complete regret.

Totally immature reasons but they're mine LOL!
  • Fat2Fit2Fineee
    Options
    YESS!
    My boyfriend of 5 years left me in November, (Well, I kind of left him, after discovering all my fears were justified, he WAS notoriously cheating on me)
    After the initial confusion and depression I picked myself up off the floor, and I have now lost 66 pounds, and have a new lease on life. Feel SO good, and am so immensely relieved to have my life back, in every way.

Life is strange.

So awesome! Why people cheat is beyond me!! Sorry you had to go through that but on the same note good for you for coming out of it stronger!!
  • Fat2Fit2Fineee
    Options
    GROUP WIDE: For all the stories of come backs from bad relationships to a stronger, better you!!!!

Phil-Thumbs-Up.gif
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't have any divorce in my life but you are all doing great! Congratulations!

Meg

This, whatever makes you happy.
  • Fat2Fit2Fineee
    Options
    I totally feel where you are coming from as when I first separated from my ex, I lost about 60lbs in 6-7 months and it felt darn good. That was almost 3 years ago, I am still maintaining about 50 of those pounds lost. I have gained lots of muscle, confidence, focus and other things the scale can't measure. My divorce was the best thing that ever happened to my health. It was a struggle but it was worth it.

#AMEN
  • adance7636
    Options
    Yes!!! When I tell people how much weight I lost, I always add in HIS total weight!!!
  • dru8376
    dru8376 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When my ex g/f left me in 2012, I somehow managed to lose 50 lbs JUST because of her leaving me. Despite how negative it was, it turned out to be a huge positive for me. Then joining MFP, I lost another 54 lbs giving me a total loss of 106 lbs.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Nothing like loosing a hundred and 90 pounds in one night ;)

I've just left mine too, it will be 2 months on the 23rd, I am weighing myself for the first time tomorrow!
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Ditto here!
    I'm going through a divorce and I haven't been this on track EVER!! Anyone else having focused success changing their lives after a break-up?

Bye_bye_bye.gif
  • Alice_in_VVonderland
    Alice_in_VVonderland Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This completely kicks *kitten*, but I'm never quitting coffee. I do drink it unsweetened now though :)

Oh, I'll never COMPLETELY give up coffee. I'll just never go back to drinking 2-3 cups a day along with nothing but diet soda, with maybe a glass of water as a 'treat'.

I actually really love coffee (I wonder how many calories are in chocolate covered espresso beans...), but parallel to booze, I need to make sure I've eaten enough food to help slow down the caffeine absorption into my system and limit myself to one cup of coffee. Otherwise, I spend the day a jittery mess of anxiety blob.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My ex left me while I was still breastfeeding our second baby in two years, because "You are everything I wanted in a woman; kind, loving, sweet... but you just aren't attractive enough for me". I weaned the baby when she turned a year and lost the 30lbs of baby weight in 6 weeks once my hormones shifted a couple of weeks later. I am now another 15lbs smaller than that and look better than I ever have (even when we first started dating)

and he is getting fat, and my boyfriend is amazingly sweet, kind, good looking, so much taller, and makes 3 times more money than him..... so yeah, I win. His dumping me was the best thing for me personally. My kids suffer, but I do that best I can.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My default reaction to a break up seems to be to do all the things to improve myself that I was being complacent about while in a relationship. When my longest relationship ended I decided to get my teeth straightened with Invisalign because I never had braces as a kid. So glad I did that. I also decided to get my ears re-pierced. Glad I did that too.

I haven't had a boyfriend in awhile so this weight loss doesn't have the compulsive IMPROVE YOURSELF motivation behind it. But I definitely understand how that can be motivating. If weight loss had been my biggest wish at the time that probably would have been the thing to happen. I've gotten to the point where I've decided to stop waiting around for things to happen for me, though. I got tired of waiting for somebody to have the great idea of giving me a gift certificate to get a massage, so for my birthday this year I bought one myself. Got tired of never having any rings so I decided every year towards Christmas I would buy myself a fairly nice pretty ring that I liked. (Not as expensive as fine jewelry, but not so cheap it turns my skin colors.) Might as well do it myself, ain't nobody else here to do it with or for me.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Bye_bye_bye.gif

Been there and done that, sorry to hear you have to go through it.

Short term, you can use the divorce to motivate you to get in shape but at some point it has to be about wanting to make yourself better and not about making him jealous/sorry he left/etc.

Stay smart, eat right, and don't overtrain and you'll be fine. It really does feel like a weight off your shoulders when you finally sign the papers.

Agreed on the making sure it's all about making yourself better, and not making him jealous. This is about you and making you happy. Break-ups are some of the most difficult things you will face. I guarantee you this will also be challenging (personal health). Keep at it. Don't ever give up. There may be good days, and some rough patches. You'll get through them. Looks like you are already well on your way. Great job there.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    after my first divorce I lost like 60 pounds in five months without trying ( I suspect it was all of the pacing I was doing, as well as not eating from being upset which is really unusual for me. Usually I eat when I am upset.) My picture is from after that divorce.

This time I am trying to be more healthy about it. Slow and steady...one healthy habit at a time so I won't relapse. Back then I just wanted to disappear. I am striving for a healthier attitude this time. (an out of town friend came and insisted on the pictures. Hind sight, I am glad she did.)

I'm glad you are coping so well!!! Keep it up!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!