Let's talk about Peanut Butter!

Options

Replies

• Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE peanut butter. I make my own out of roasted peanuts *lightly salted* in a food processor. I only allow myself 28 grams per day because I know me. If I kept the jar out...it would be gone before I realized it so I get out my portion and put the jar back up.
  • jenness_m_1101
    jenness_m_1101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    PB2 is a pretty good replacement. It's a powdered peanut butter you mix with water. It has 85% less fat calories than regular and is only 45 calories per serving as opposed to 190. It's not quite as rich as regular but the taste is good. Kind of like whole milk and lower fat milk, but I like low fat milk.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I DO got through a jar a week! I'm addicted to it. I'll skimp on something else just so I can have Peanut butter.

Like I can eat it by the spoon fulls!! :tongue:

But does it have bad fat or just the good fats?
    Read the ingredients. Don't buy anything with partially hydrogenated oils!
    Transfats are very bad for you.
    I buy the natural kind with just peanuts and a little salt. You can also grind your own peanuts at some markets.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories AND healthy eating plan - it's all good! I eat nut butters often.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    PB2 is a pretty good replacement. It's a powdered peanut butter you mix with water. It has 85% less fat calories than regular and is only 45 calories per serving as opposed to 190. It's not quite as rich as regular but the taste is good. Kind of like whole milk and lower fat milk, but I like low fat milk.
    I tried this but I preferred the real deal!
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Buy from Flannery's or similar Health food store or make your own from peanuts in a vitamix and I promise you will stop at a couple of tablesponns in your porridge per day. Horrible stuff without the added sugar and salt.
  • peanutbutterlover14
    Options
    My name says it all I :love: Peanut butter! I'm trying to quit it but its to hard :smile:
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've been eating PB2 once or twice a day lately, just had it on a banana and pb sandwich... love it on pancakes!
    The first time I tried the stuff a few years ago, I couldn't take it, but now I'm liking it, thank goodness (45 calories is way easier to fit in than 200!)
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    As for staying under calories and eating anything, that's not a good idea. You can eat nothing buy chips and ice cream and stay under your calories. But, are you going to be healthy and fit? I'm sure you know the answer to that. We all need a balanced diet - at least on most days.

Peanut butter is a good healthy food if eaten in moderation. As you know, it's high calorie. I generally eat 1 TBS on bread for my evening snack and sometimes add one tbs to my morning protein shake or just have a TBS alone sometime during the day. But I do almost always eat some daily. I could eat it out of the jar but won't let myself.

I suggest you make it a part of your diet. One or two TBS per day served in whatever way appeals to you. Of course, you can swap something else for PB sometimes and have a bit extra. But I wouldn't eat much more than two servings per day and less on most days.

Also, you want to make sure your PB is natural and/or organic and has no sugar or other ingredients in it unless it's a small amount of salt and in some cases a very small amount of sugar. Smucker' s natural is a great choice. Lots of PB had a whole lot of bad stuff in it and you want to avoid that.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Half my nights I have a scoop right before I go to sleep. Protein & healthy fats are the best things to go to sleep with.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just got pb2. 45 Cal for 2tbsp.

How does it taste when compared to regular peanut butter? Did you think it was worth it pricewise? I noticed that if you get it on the Bell Plantation site it's around half the price of GNC or Amazon. I'm thinking of trying it out.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    In moderation, pb is awesome. One of my favorite snacks is an apple with peanut butter. (disclaimer: the amount shown in picture is WAY more than 2 tbsp. - and I learned the hard way. Always weigh the peanut butter.)

apples+and+peanut+butter.jpg
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I gave up on PB when I discovered almond butter which is even nicer and better for you
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    1 TBS and 3 or 4 apple slices (about 1/2 apple) for a snack.
  • kissmeplease305
    Options
    It's peanut butter jelly time!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    In moderation, pb is awesome. One of my favorite snacks is an apple with peanut butter. (disclaimer: the amount shown in picture is WAY more than 2 tbsp. - and I learned the hard way. Always weigh the peanut butter.)

apples+and+peanut+butter.jpg

Damn it, gypsyrunner, you beat me to it. I love this! Our kiddos also eat the heck of PB and apples
  • lcangelini
    lcangelini Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    PB2 is a godsend <3
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3047-peanut-butter-addicts

I do flexible dieting so typically no foods excluded but during this contest prep I had to finish off all of my PB and not buy anymore. I know that if I start on it, my cal deficit can be wiped out QUICKLY!

In the mean time I use defatted protein plus peanut flour a lot! I mainly use it for mixing in with protein puddings, proats etc. It currently handles my peanut fix :smile:

September comes around and I'll be back into it :laugh:

P.S one of my favourite PB "recipes"
    http://cdnutritionandfitness.com/elvis-oats-37p73c23f/
  • lornabfitness
    Options
    It's a healthy fat, go for it! Try to eat it as natural as you can, it will cut down on sodium w/o the added salt. Best of luck!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Buy from Flannery's or similar Health food store or make your own from peanuts in a vitamix and I promise you will stop at a couple of tablesponns in your porridge per day. Horrible stuff without the added sugar and salt.

absolutely not correct.

Have eaten 500g tub of natural peanut butter at once.