Protein powder in hot coffee?

Options
13»

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yes, i have vanilla in my coffee. Don't put the powder straight in though - mix with some milk or cold water first.

i haven't tried it with chocolate flavour though - i have my chocolate as 'hot chocolate' (mixed with cold milk then microwaved).
  • greenstar25
    greenstar25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Zardoz : Very good point! No need to ruin a perfectly good cup of coffee :-)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Zardoz : Very good point! No need to ruin a perfectly good cup of coffee :-)

I still enjoy regular coffee, this is just a good way to get some protein in the am without actually eating anything, lol.

This morning, I added an extra ounce of milk and whipped it in the blender and holy mother of ravening space monsters, it came out frothy and delicious. It also, however, likely made it more work than I want to do at 5:30 in the morning (mostly because of the setup/cleanup, as I have an oooold fashioned blender, which works like a champ but is huge and heavy).

Thanks for all the input folks!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Not a fan. However it is good mixed in with my morning greek yogurt
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    As with the others that said, I would mix with milk or almond milk first before putting in your coffee. If you like ice coffee or cold coffee drinks, you could also blend it with some cold coffee, milk and add some fruit or cocoa powder. I've tried it with cocoa powder and it makes it like a malt milkshake.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Yea or nay? I don't like to eat in the A.M. but I always have coffee. I ordered 1lb of the ON gold standard double chocolate to try and it would be really ideal if I could just mix it into my coffee.

I have found if you add hot coffee to protein powder you end up "cooking" the powder and it ends up clumping in the coffee. The best way to do this is to use a shaker cup. Add either a little water or milk to the powder first, shake until it is smooth, then add the coffee.

I have found cold-brewed coffee is better than brewed coffee, so now I add chocolate powder to my cold brewed coffee.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    This doesn't sound very appetizing to me, but one of my favorite afternoon pick-me-ups is a Vanilla Protein shake with about half a teaspoon of instant coffee crystals. It makes for a very smooth coffee flavored shake. Very pallatable and very yummy. I prefer to have this cold.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Wow this is an awesome idea. I never even thought of putting it in coffee!
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    :noway: why have I never thought of this?!

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!