Eating your exercise calories!!

Options
People are telling me that eating your exercise calories is a good thing.I understand their reasoning but I have a question.If my calorie allotment for the day is 1500 and I have 1000 exercise calories & I eat 2500 calories how can I keep the other numbers down ?Sodium is my main concern.That number doesn't change if I add exercise calories.My sodium number 2500 is hard enough to stay under when I eat 1500 calories.Any suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks

Replies

• MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    That's a good question! Personally I don't eat my exercise calories, but if I go a bit over my allowed cal's then I just say; well I didn't count my exercise.
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    Do you eat a lot of processed foods? Those will really raise your sodium levels.
  • tishieb
    tishieb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am SOOO battling this too :(

How can we be sure the accuracy of allotted exercise free to eat calories ?

I've been steadily losing weight for months, on average 2 pounds per week and I do NOT eat my exercise calories
    No matter what I do in the day in terms of exercise I always stay within the 1500 calorie zone.
    I realize everyone is different but I seriously look at a cookie and gain weight.
    I had a really bad day yesterday and ate nearly 2000 calories OVER my already consumed 1500 and I gained 2 pounds today :(

Back on track today :)

I hope someone can help you ... I tend to just listen to my body ... how I am going about things seem to be working
    out okay so I'm sticking with it. I suggest perhaps testing the water ?
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    i do not eat my exercise calories either!!! if i go over a lil bit then i am relieved to have them but if i dont then i think its good!! why would i wanna eat what ive worked so hard to burn off...defeats the purpose if you ask me!! thats when it becomes a thought of...are you working out to get healthy or are you just working out so you can eat more?!?!?! i wanna be healthy! :)

People are telling me that eating your exercise calories is a good thing.I understand their reasoning but I have a question.If my calorie allotment for the day is 1500 and I have 1000 exercise calories & I eat 2500 calories how can I keep the other numbers down ?Sodium is my main concern.That number doesn't change if I add exercise calories.My sodium number 2500 is hard enough to stay under when I eat 1500 calories.Any suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i exercise my eating calories most of the time! lol if i do have some cals left from exercise i TRY not to eat them
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You only really need to eat enough exercise calories to net 1200 calories. Going under 1200 risks sending your body into starvation mode.

And as far as your sodium goes, try eating less processed foods. Eating more fruits and vegetables and cooking for yourself (without adding salt, use herbs and spices for flavor) will keep your sodium under control.
  • brockly25
    Options
    do not eat your exercise cals.... its not good for you... if you want to lose weight

if you want to gain muscle yes eat them

if your Michael Phelps and you need it for energy yes eat all your exercise ... look what he eats ... its crazy but he workout like a machine....

but i want to stress much as possible ... if you want to lose weight do not eat your exercise cals :)

it like your didnt even workout .... how would i put it so you can understand .... ok ok ... you mom ask you to fill the car up with gas ... so you put 10 gallons of gas in and then you drive 3 hours around town with your buddy and bring the car home on Empty... thats like eating your exercise cals :)

i hope that helps :)
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    I'm pretty sure MFP sets these numbers by percentage of your calories, not a set number.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think it totally depends on the person, My cals are set at 1200, I am hardly going to be able to eat EXACTLY that without going under (into starvation) or over my calorie allowance. So I eat some of my exercise calories normally, also if I don't tend to feel faint!

But if you are safely over 1200 calories and don't feel hungry or want to be building muscle by all means don't eat them - its a personal thing :)
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    do not eat your exercise cals.... its not good for you... if you want to lose weight

if your Michael Phelps and you need it for energy yes eat all your exercise ... look what he eats ... its crazy but he workout like a machine....

but i want to stress much as possible ... if you want to lose weight do not eat your exercise cals :)

it like your didnt even workout .... how would i put it so you can understand .... ok ok ... you mom ask you to fill the car up with gas ... so you put 10 gallons of gas in and then you drive 3 hours around town with your buddy and bring the car home on Empty... thats like eating your exercise cals :)

But MFP has already set you calories to deficit from your maintenance, so you will be losing weight regardless, not eating your exercise cals will help you loose FASTER but eating them won't prevent you from loosing weight if you don't eat over! The system isn't hinged on whether or not you workout...
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Read this thread on Exercise calories ... It explains why you SHOULD eat them. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/117726-eating-exercise-cals-slowing-your-weight-loss-read-this

It's kinda simple math ...

1500 calories base less (example) 1000 exercise calories = 500 net calories.

If you think you can survive on 500 calories / day then by all means, keep at it. I started this program in September 1, 2010. I have lost 24 lbs so far and I eat about 75% of my exercise calories. I think what people fail to realize is that this site builds in a DEFICIT to your daily calorie goal. I don't know ANYONE who can survive on 500 calories a day. In fact, on your news feed page it will show you what your net is minus exercise calories. That is the NET YOU HAVE CONSUMED MINUS CALORIES BURNED IN EXERCISE. You should eat enough so that NET number equals your calorie goal/day.

I really REALLY urge you all to read that link I posted. It may be the difference and may explain why you aren't losing the way you should be.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Totally untrue. You will lose weight if you eat your exercise calories. Weight loss is a simple mathematical equation. If the calories you use up in a day is greater than the calories you consume, then you will lose weight. The bigger the difference in those two amounts, the more weight you will lose. In order to lose at the rate you indicated you want to lose at when setting up your MFP profile, eat those calories. To lose a bit more weight, don't eat those calories.

Working out has benefits other than using up calories, so even if you know exactly how many calories you burn during exercise and eat every last one of them, you still get benefits from your workout... Things like stronger muscles, higher metabolism and more stanima.
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    First and foremost MFP is a company that most protect itself above all else. They are going to go by the book, period. Hence, even tho it is possible to lose more than 2lbs a week they will only let you choose 2lbs as to protect from any finger pointing (AKA law suits) if something happens to someone.

Now: Pure and simple. Starvation mode is absolutely true but it is COMPLETELY blown out of proportion on MFP. Starvation mode takes weeks at a severe calorie deficit. Starvation mode will not make you stop losing weight. Sure, absolutely, it can slow your metabolism down to as much as 40% but if you are at a calorie deficit you are going to lose weight. Like everyone has said "it is simple math".

If starvation mode prevented weight loss I'd imagine all those lap band and gastric bypass people wouldn't be losing the enormous amounts of weight they do.

If you guys are seriously concerned about starvation mode then consume all the calories it says to. Or you could always try the zig-zag approach and do your deficit for 5 days then eat the calories states for 2.

Anyways here are some links about "starvation mode":

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1574882/starvation_mode_dispelling_the_myths.html
    http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science
    http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/the-truth-about-starvation-mode-fast-metabolisms-983959.html
    http://stardusticsjourney.blogspot.com/2010/04/starvation-mode-myth-protein-and-water.html
  • KarenBorter
    Options

If starvation mode prevented weight loss I'd imagine all those lap band and gastric bypass people wouldn't be losing the enormous amounts of weight they do.

As an aside, I personally know 3 people who have had these surgeries ... they have gained the weight back and then some.
    I only know what's worked for me ... and eating has been working. Not eating exercise calories contributed to me gaining the 40lbs I am now trying to lose. My personal trainer never told me about this and I would work out hard and hardly eat anything thinking that calories in had to be less in order to lose weight. I have done all this loss without the aid of personal training and working myself out and eating right. Like I said in my example above ... if you have a goal of 1500 calories and you exercise 1000 calories away you are left with 500 calories consumed on the day ... if you can survive on that great :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

no, it's like putting the gas in the car an then expecting it to drive across country. If you exercise more, your body needs more fuel and more nutrition. Please don't make blanket inaccurate statements, this info is NOT true.

I eat mine, and LOOK at my progress.

MFP has already calculated a deficit for you. You should eat them in order to fuel your body and maintain proper nutrition.
  • MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    Oh yeah, Bonyta is really pretty! Thanks, I have posted a picture of my girl on my profile page, she was 5 months in the photo, now she's 7 months. her name is "Josie" I call her "Josie Wales" from the movie.
  • KarenBorter
    Options

I have tried posting this numerous time ... I have also posted another one and it's also linked on my profile. I think it's a matter of people stopping their progress and finally figuring it out. Heck, it took me 6 weeks to wrap my head around this. I even did a blog recently.
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    The link about eating exercise calories was written by one of the guys who founded the site *shrugs*