Muscle weighs more.....what?

Options
1235»

Replies

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Lots of LOLZ at all the armchair physicists and engineers on here.
  • rjmudlax13
    Options
    okay we all know a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat...

but what about an ounce of muscle...does it weigh the same as an ounce of fat? New argument...go!

Pound force (or ounce force) of something is dependent on location.

Pound mass of something is the same no matter where it is.
  • rjmudlax13
    Options
    This is supposed to be a support group but rather things get taken too literal or generalised. Disappointing to say the least.

like those people who get all nitpicky over the phrase "muscle weighs more than fat", yes we all understand why, but really typing out 25 sentances about M=VD gets old

or F = mg
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options

but what about an ounce of muscle...does it weigh the same as an ounce of fat? New argument...go!

Which was the OP talking about. Wait...did we measure the pound of fat on a balance or on a scale with a force sensor? Oh great...start over...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I had my body fat % checked on the regular so i know exactly how much fat was lost and how much muscle was gained and where even got it on paper and no where did i say you shouldnt weight lift as an average joe ..... im pretty sure a few posts ago i even said what a benefit it is to losing weight

I'm going to say this as nicely as I can. Unless you died (multiple times) and had full post-mortems performed, you really don't know exactly how much fat and muscle you had. My guess is your trainer used the calipers? If so, there are quite a few potential flaws in their (mis)use. And if you used bio-electric impedance (such as a scale or the handheld device), those are almost always very far off.

and what is the amount of variance for ct based body comp scanning?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Which was the OP talking about. Wait...did we measure the pound of fat on a balance or on a scale with a force sensor? Oh great...start over...

Force sensors only help detect Jedi and Sith. :bigsmile:
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    The pen is mightier than the sword.

You have penis mightiers! You've been holding out Trebeck.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Please no one listen to anything op has said.
    that is all.

But she worked with a PT for several MONTHS!

Yes months because unfortunately not all of us can afford one longer then that... also during that time i lost over 50 pounds and gained several pounds in muscle so no im not clueless. Peoples need to make someone look a fool on here is sad. This is supposed to be a support group but rather things get taken too literal or generalised. Disappointing to say the least.
    Disappointing is when people come to the interwebz trying to be an expert on something because they worked with a trainer for a few months. ..... that is disappointing to say the least.

but she's had literally TENS of workouts....TENS of them!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Muscle can't be more compact than fat because an inch of muscle takes up the same amount of space as an inch of fat.

Unless we're assuming all other variables are equal. In which case both ways of phrasing it (muscle weighs more or muscle takes up less space) are equally correct (and equally wrong at the same time).
    There's no point in even weighing anything or having scales, because everything weighs the same as everything else. A feather weighs the same as a galaxy.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    There's no point in even weighing anything or having scales, because everything weighs the same as everything else.

Drug lords disagree.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    There's no point in even weighing anything or having scales, because everything weighs the same as everything else.

Drug lords disagree.

The incredible power of the free market!