No carbs?

Options
jacksplum
jacksplum Posts: 18 Member
I've been told that no carbs are a good way to go for losing weight..
No bread, rice, pasta, cous cous etc...
Is this a healthy idea, if so what are good replacements?

Replies

• Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a deficit and the weight will come off. There is no reason to eliminate a food group.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Carbs are a lot of things. A lot of yummy things. Is it healthy to eliminate a whole macro? I don't know. Is it sustainable for life? Probably not.

If you don't eat carbs, the only other things to eat are protein and fat.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Carbs are also in vegetables. You need your vegetables. Don't go zero carb.
  • hawaiiandream
    hawaiiandream Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but any time you cut out certain amounts or different kinds of foods you will end up losing faster. When you quit carbs your body goes into ketosis and then it goes directly to burning fat. I hear a lot people say their cholesterol and blood pressure get better. I've been trying it for 3 weeks and did OK then fell off. Its very hard for me to figure out new foods to eat that are not loaded with fat! Plus after while for me anyway, i really start to crave those carbs..
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    Most people on here are going to tell you no that it's not.
    I, however, am not one of those people. I truly believe it is up to the individual.
    I am a low carber. I don't eat anymore than 20-25 carbs a day of which most are vegetables.
    I have lost the last 35 lbs of my weight doing this.
    I feel great, am never sluggish and do not have acid reflux anymore since I have stopped eating bread, rice, potatoes etc.
    Again, this is me and it works for me.
  • jacksplum
    jacksplum Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm still eating veg and nuts, but i've been told to cut out things like bread, rice and potatoes?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've been told that no carbs are a good way to go for losing weight..
    No bread, rice, pasta, cous cous etc...
    Is this a healthy idea, if so what are good replacements?
    I eat over 300g of carbs most days doesn't seem to have stopped me losing weight

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    They do contain a lot of empty useless calories, and if you are sticking to counting calories alone, I'd try to avoid eating them often.

But you can't avoid them all together forever. Well I'm convinced I can't anyways. lol
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have tried the South Beach diet, which in the first phase for two weeks I believe is "no carbs" you lose alot of weight in those 2 weeks, I lost as much as 15 pounds one cycle of 2 weeks.

The diet was alright, but when I went to phase 2 and 3 and added carbs in, I just found I was gaining back what I lost in the first phase.

Sorry to go off topic but that is my experience with no carbs, I think it works but why not eat a food group if there is diets out there that allow you to? I am 100 % calorie counting, I dont like the no carb diets, too much good stuff comes from carbs
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I'm still eating veg and nuts, but i've been told to cut out things like bread, rice and potatoes?

"white" bread, "white" rice, and "white" potatoes

ezekiel bread is a good one if you love bread, quinoa is a good replacement for rice and sweeeeeeet potatoes!!! LOVE em
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    OP--no carbs makes no sense. And depending on your fitness goals, low carbs may not be a good idea. A balanced diet which provides for MARCOS at reasonable levels is needed. Also, you need to think about what is sustainable for you.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but any time you cut out certain amounts or different kinds of foods you will end up losing faster. When you quit carbs your body goes into ketosis and then it goes directly to burning fat. I hear a lot people say their cholesterol and blood pressure get better. I've been trying it for 3 weeks and did OK then fell off. Its very hard for me to figure out new foods to eat that are not loaded with fat! Plus after while for me anyway, i really start to crave those carbs..

There is your problem. If you are trying to go with a low carb diet, you should be trying to find foods high in fat.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a deficit and the weight will come off. There is no reason to eliminate a food group.

this so this. you need some carbs in your diet. focus on a rounded diet and eat at a deficit.
  • justincook
    justincook Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There are and were entire cultures that did just fine without bread, rice and pasta. http://discovermagazine.com/2004/oct/inuit-paradox

Some people like non-starchy vegetables as replacements. Spaghetti squash, zucchini, cauliflower are good starting points if you choose to forgo grains.

Oh and prepare to be insulted on this board.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    ZERO CARBS WILL KILL YOU. You can read about this from the 1970's when Atkins was mis-used by some dieters.

You need carbs for your body to make the triglycerides that mobilize your fat from storage.

You can restrict carbs to lose weight (I do)--but stay above 20g a day.
  • hawaiiandream
    hawaiiandream Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Lol, you're right, I think I just was! (two above)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

??
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    mean-girls-36.gif?w=560

Unless you have a medical reason, no need to cut carbs.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    They do contain a lot of empty useless calories, and if you are sticking to counting calories alone, I'd try to avoid eating them often.

But you can't avoid them all together forever. Well I'm convinced I can't anyways. lol

Empty calories? They are full of carbs which are great for energy.

The only thing that has empty calories is alcohol, and I still consume that weekly.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Using the quote function below each post would really help us to follow your conversations. I'm going to assume that this is in reply to the user suggesting you would be insulted on this board? If any user has personally insulted you then you should use the report function at the bottom of the insulting post so that the mods can remove it. However, in this case, I don't think this would qualify.