No carbs?

Options

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Do you mean me, Hawaii? It's not personal, its biochemistry.

I just don't want people trying anything dangerous.

It's a good thing you "fell off" zero carbs after only 3 weeks. If you want to go ultra-low carb, try 20g/day as your target (no obvious carbs, only the hidden ones in veggies). Not only is it safer and easier to stick to than attempting the potentially-lethal zero-carbs, but you should get better weight loss because you have the chemistry on-hand to mobilize your fat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    They do contain a lot of empty useless calories, and if you are sticking to counting calories alone, I'd try to avoid eating them often.

But you can't avoid them all together forever. Well I'm convinced I can't anyways. lol

Empty and useless? You do realize that Carbs are a macronutrient, right?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    They do contain a lot of empty useless calories, and if you are sticking to counting calories alone, I'd try to avoid eating them often.

But you can't avoid them all together forever. Well I'm convinced I can't anyways. lol

:noway: :noway: :noway: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Hmmm.....
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Not only that, they are huge in signaling muscle growth
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that a person needs 130 grams or more of carbs a day for healthy brain function. I think it depends on what type of carbs you eat to be honest. Non processed food carbs are much better than junk food carbs. Carbs with high fiber are very good too like Quest bars. Most of the carbs are fiber carbs so that is good for you.
    Good luck!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Not only that, they are huge in signaling muscle growth

and taste yummy...
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Each day threads come up like this; I'll leave the gif and just let it roll

bloody_keyboardguy.gif~c200
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    I'm no expert, but any time you cut out certain amounts or different kinds of foods you will end up losing faster. When you quit carbs your body goes into ketosis and then it goes directly to burning fat. I hear a lot people say their cholesterol and blood pressure get better. I've been trying it for 3 weeks and did OK then fell off. Its very hard for me to figure out new foods to eat that are not loaded with fat! Plus after while for me anyway, i really start to crave those carbs..

There is your problem. If you are trying to go with a low carb diet, you should be trying to find foods high in fat.

exactly!!^^

i have PCOS (insulin resistance is a symptom) so i follow (try anyway) a low carb/high fat/medium protein diet. by that i mean, 10% carbs, 15% protein, 75% fat diet. i am not a success story (yet) as i've only been here for a month and 'only' lost 5 lbs.

i also agree 100% with another poster - EVERY BODY IS DIFFERENT! what might work for some might not work for others! you really just have to try some things out for yourself and see how your body responds.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are essential for proper brain function and energy. White bread, pasta, and rice are not essential. Just choose whole grain bread, brown rice and whole grain pasta for a more nutritious choice.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    No carb isn't doable really. LOW carb on the other hand CAN help some people lose weight. It helped me lose 30 lbs. Eating low carb and high fat creates a deficit because the fat and protein is so satiating. I love eating this way because I feel full and energized.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    IN for white carb demonization
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    No carb isn't realistic -- vegetables are carbs. I don't think anyone with an ounce of sense is going to tell you to cut vegetables out of your diet.

Low carb is good for some people. Not a catchall solution, but certainly it works for some people, especially people who have certain medical issues (diabetes, PCOS, some thyroid issues, etc.). I don't think there's a lot of harm in trying it for a while to see if it works for you, but I'd also recommend talking to a registered dietitian before doing something like going below ~100g carb per day.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that a person needs 130 grams or more of carbs a day for healthy brain function. I think it depends on what type of carbs you eat to be honest. Non processed food carbs are much better than junk food carbs. Carbs with high fiber are very good too like Quest bars. Most of the carbs are fiber carbs so that is good for you.
    Good luck!

I eat less than 30 net carbs a day. My brain is functioning very well, thanks.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

Quest bars are very processed.
  • justincook
    justincook Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Macronutrient? No I didn't realize that. What does that mean exactly?
  • jacksplum
    jacksplum Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I didn't actually mean cutting out veg etc.. i couldn't survive without vegetables. Maybe i didn't explain myself well enough, i mean cutting out bread, rice, cous cous, pasta etc.. Not carbs such as veg, nuts and some fruits like bananas
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    I didn't actually mean cutting out veg etc.. i couldn't survive without vegetables. Maybe i didn't explain myself well enough, i mean cutting out bread, rice, cous cous, pasta etc.. Not carbs such as veg, nuts and some fruits like bananas

So in other words, you want to try low-carb? That's different and very doable. People on here will ridicule the low carb eating plan, but it can be beneficial for some. It's up to you whether or not you want to give it a try.
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would suggest anyone planning to make radical dietary changes to do it based on a bit more than vaguely hearing someone say something about it. Calorie limiting is sufficient. Low card is a specific strategy that you need to research to see if it might help your specific situation. It is not a panacea.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Life without carbs is worse than death!!! Everything in moderation. All fruits and veg have carbs, so don't even try to cut them out, impossible!!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    No carbs = No life.