Fitbit..or nah?

Options
2»

Replies

• kitza101
    kitza101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what works for you and your personality - for me, I find it really motivating to be able to see the stats on what I am doing each day, in terms of walking around. I find I go out of my way to walk more - why park right at the entrance when you can park at the back and get those extra steps? Or why not get off the bus a stop early so you can walk more? Things I wouldn't have thought about in the past, but now I feel motivated to do. Plus the exercise calories that come with it are a nice bonus! :)

I have the Fitbit One. I've been using it since November 2012, and it is in my Top 5 list of the best products I have ever purchased. I'd tried to lose weight before, and never stuck with it long term - I'd gain it back. I know weight loss is about diet, but for me my Fitbit and the helpfulness of MFP are intertwined - both motivate me and keep me on track. Mine is quite accurate too - I have checked my usual routes and the kilometres match pretty closely. I always take exercise calories with a grain of salt, but I do that with any logged exercise on MFP.

In the year and a half I've had my Fitbit, there have only been a couple of days I haven't worn it - and most of those were days when I was in transit via planes. A few times I forgot I had my Fitbit on my bra, and the one downside (or perhaps a perk for some!) of wearing a Fitbit in an airport is that it will you a free breast exam :P
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I bought a used off craigslist for 20 bucks; never really used it so I gave it to my and loves it --so yes I think it's beneficial
  • cyncynmar
    cyncynmar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE mine, I have the force. It syncs with all my app...MFP, Pact, EveryMove I have since last Oct and I have walked more, lost 22 pds and made a ton of friends. I also have the aria scales, I would highly recommend it. If you are worried about the cost, dl the PACT app, it pays you to eat fruits/veggies, exercise and log your food. :love: :laugh:
  • klfoster88
    klfoster88 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a fit bit and I would not trade it for the world!!!!!!!!!! I've had it a month now and it really helps me see what I'm burning all day not just in workout sessions. I know no calorie measuring device is 100 % effective but it helps me see when I need to move more in comparison to my eating.
  • graceyykim
    graceyykim Posts: 17
    Options
    I absolutely love my fitbit!! I think it was a good investment. I have the fitbit one and it's been so useful to me so far as well as keep me motivated! The only thing is that it can't track resistance activity such as elliptical well.. it is not a heart rate monitor.... So usually i take it off while doing activities other than running or walking and then log them seperately.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! I have it linked to my ipod, phone, and desk top. It's awesome. :)

Edit to add: I have fitbit One.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've worn a fitbit daily for two years. I credit MFP and my fitbit for helping stay on maintenance for about that long. I also use an HRM for formal exercise, but glancing at my fitbit a few times a day reminds me to move more in my general activities. I am absolutely sure I burn more calories by being aware of wanting my step number to be as high as possible.
  • TwistedSpinster
    TwistedSpinster Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit flex and tried it for 4 weeks, (after the force was recalled). I wish I would have read more reviews before the purchase. Its a good piece but its too high of a price. Mine broke, Its not really water proof. I work at a hospital and am consistently washing my hands soon water got trapped in the band and then made its way into the tracker. when I looked it up, I realized that fitbit flex doesn't stand up to the companies claim of water resistant. I bout the Garmin vivofit for 20$ more then the flex and think that its a much better system for what I need. I've heard good reviews on the Polar Loop also. If fitbit came out with another Force I would give it a try. Also fit-bit offers a 45 day return period on their website so I would buy it directly just in case.
  • Twignasty
    Twignasty Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have heard some say get a HRM with the fitbit. So many options!
    Really trying to accurately track my calories burned and activities so maybe both would be best. :)
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have heard some say get a HRM with the fitbit. So many options!
    Really trying to accurately track my calories burned and activities so maybe both would be best. :)

You can not integrate a Fitbit with a Heart Rate Monitor. The only activity tracker I know that connects to a HRM is the Garmin VivoFit. It tracks steps like the fitbot but also can connect and track your HR via a HRM.

Fitbit is fine if you are just tracking steps (walker). Thats all it really does.
  • BeautifulSoul705
    BeautifulSoul705 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info. Very informative thread. :)
  • Healthy07
    Healthy07 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've had the Fitbit Zip for 16 months now. I love it! I've set a daily goal of 12,000 steps and my Fitbit really motivates me to get those steps in. If this one wears out, I will definitely buy another one. I can't imagine being without it.
  • Twignasty
    Twignasty Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That helps out alot. I'm glad you all have so much helpful information. Got exactly what I needed :)