Anyone actually open to getting picked up at the gym?

Options
I know most people who go to the gym are there to get their workout in and leave, I'm the same way. But I think I am more open to finding someone at the gym as opposed to the bar or club (I'm shy and don't like going to either of these). I try to look somewhat 'approachable-looking' at the gym: no ipod, no makeup, cute workout clothes but nothing trashy. Every now and then I'll see cute guys checking me out (one even smiled at me today:D) but they don't approach ..I guess they do not want to break the unspoken rule of not approaching girls at the gym? Or just wanna focus on their workout.. Any thoughts?

Replies

• agousetis
    agousetis Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your gym, but at mine, the guys spend more time staring at themselves in the mirror, than they do checking out the ladies around them!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You might have to approach them first.

It is a unwritten rule for me to not approach a girl at the gym. I might break that one though for someone.

I have had girls approach me at the gym all the time.

Ask them you watch you do a lift for technique? Ask them how to do something?

There is no approachable look at the gym I have notice.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Sure, just catch me on my way out or I'll knock you out for interrupting me.

Also, my gym is in my house so this makes getting hit on and picked up quite difficult.
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't want to look like a creep. It's easier for the girl to approach a guy, especially if it's with a lifting related question (Yeah, you might know more than the guy does!). Of course, that's easy for me to offer feedback on hooking up at the gym having been married for 30 years. lol.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I have two rules... i don't hit on women in the gym and I don't hit on women who are at work (waitress, bartenders etc...)
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I have two rules... i don't hit on women in the gym and I don't hit on women who are at work (waitress, bartenders etc...)

Especially bartender. Of course there going to flirt for a better tip.
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Good rules. I'm a teacher. I've had dads hit on me. It was creepy.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Sure, just catch me on my way out or I'll knock you out for interrupting me.

Also, my gym is in my house so this makes getting hit on and picked up quite difficult.

Speaking of difficult, could you open your curtains a bit more in the morning? Thanks. :bigsmile:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Not really. When I am at the gym I am sweaty and flushed. Not to mention trying to get through my workout without injury. If someone comes up to chat during rest sets, that is fine, I am not rude enough to tell them to gtfo. But there really isnt a point between walking into the gym and walking out that I want to be hit on.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    find someplace close to the gym where you can grab a coffee or tea... stop in before your workout.. stop in after your work out.. chances are.. other folks from the gym are stopping in there too. it is a far more social atmosphere... ALSO... take in fitness classes... look at it as a networking opportunity more than a chance to make your self "available" chances are once you have made it known to some "gym girlfriends" your social circle and potential suitors will pick up significantly.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    When I was single, gym time was my time. It's akin to having a coworker interrupting me during business hours while I'm working on a very important project. I hate when I get interrupted in the middle of concentrating on something I need to get done. When I go to the gym, I'm there for a purpose, so I put the blinders on. Picking up a male friend is not part of that.
  • laureneliset
    laureneliset Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'd be open to it, the problem is the gym is such an awkward place. I fairly regularly end up having a bit of banter with the guys at the gym, but it's always quite short (one or both of us are between sets) so it's nothing more than a bit of friendly chat, whereas the same thing in a bar could easily end up in a longer conversation and getting "picked up" so to speak.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to go beyond the quick friendly banter with a guy at my gym - we're both there nearly every day but we're both fairly into our routines so sometimes we don't speak. We have smiled and said hi the couple of times we've seen each other out on the street. Any tips welcomed!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Definitely.

I'm actually an extreme extrovert and talk to people at the gym all the time if they approach me.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I'd be open to it, the problem is the gym is such an awkward place. I fairly regularly end up having a bit of banter with the guys at the gym, but it's always quite short (one or both of us are between sets) so it's nothing more than a bit of friendly chat, whereas the same thing in a bar could easily end up in a longer conversation and getting "picked up" so to speak.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to go beyond the quick friendly banter with a guy at my gym - we're both there nearly every day but we're both fairly into our routines so sometimes we don't speak. We have smiled and said hi the couple of times we've seen each other out on the street. Any tips welcomed!

If you are interested why can't you just ask him out to do something?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    My mom usually picks me up when I'm done.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I know most people who go to the gym are there to get their workout in and leave, I'm the same way. But I think I am more open to finding someone at the gym as opposed to the bar or club (I'm shy and don't like going to either of these). I try to look somewhat 'approachable-looking' at the gym: no ipod, no makeup, cute workout clothes but nothing trashy. Every now and then I'll see cute guys checking me out (one even smiled at me today:D) but they don't approach ..I guess they do not want to break the unspoken rule of not approaching girls at the gym? Or just wanna focus on their workout.. Any thoughts?

Good for you, gym`s are full of great people.

Years back, gym`s were also a TRUE social place. Sadly now, the majority walk around looking at the floor with ear buds in. Then, they beeline for their cars. My old gym use to have a juice bar, and people hangout and talked. People everywhere are losing their social skills and don`t know how to communicate with one another anymore.

And all of this, worried about looking like a creep or being creep`d stuff is pure crap. I look at everyone, that's how I learned to lift properly many years ago. I have not built all this muscle just to look at in the mirror and talk about on the internet. But then again, I`m open and outgoing. Flirting is great, fun and makes me even workout harder.

So I say, your AWESOME. Don`t let all of the anti social ear bud wearing freaks get you down. Keep doing your thing, I`m proud of you.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yup as long as my boyfriend doesn't find out. :laugh:
  • focusedonfitness2015
    focusedonfitness2015 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your gym, but at mine, the guys spend more time staring at themselves in the mirror, than they do checking out the ladies around them!

THIS!!! HA!

Personally I get annoyed when I'm at the gym and a guy tries talking to me. I've usually got my music on and I'm focused on the task at hand. Not to mention I'm a bit sweaty and this is never a good look. But then, I've never gone to the gym with intentions of meeting someone either. I think it actually may be a good place to find someone, if you're looking. At least you would have one thing in common. :smile:
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    Definitely.

I'm actually an extreme extrovert and talk to people at the gym all the time if they approach me.

Good for you too. Glad I broke my rule and actually read comments today.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If someone tries to flirt with me at the gym, then I will just go ahead and marry them. I don't care about my appearance at the gym, which is probably bad. I wear baggy clothes, I smell like wet dog and sweat, I don't wear any makeup, I don't always shave my legs while wearing shorts, and sometimes a little toot comes out when I'm squatting.