Anyone actually open to getting picked up at the gym?

Replies

• blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    I know most people who go to the gym are there to get their workout in and leave, I'm the same way. But I think I am more open to finding someone at the gym as opposed to the bar or club (I'm shy and don't like going to either of these). I try to look somewhat 'approachable-looking' at the gym: no ipod, no makeup, cute workout clothes but nothing trashy. Every now and then I'll see cute guys checking me out (one even smiled at me today:D) but they don't approach ..I guess they do not want to break the unspoken rule of not approaching girls at the gym? Or just wanna focus on their workout.. Any thoughts?

Good for you, gym`s are full of great people.

Years back, gym`s were also a TRUE social place. Sadly now, the majority walk around looking at the floor with ear buds in. Then, they beeline for their cars. My old gym use to have a juice bar, and people hangout and talked. People everywhere are losing their social skills and don`t know how to communicate with one another anymore.

And all of this, worried about looking like a creep or being creep`d stuff is pure crap. I look at everyone, that's how I learned to lift properly many years ago. I have not built all this muscle just to look at in the mirror and talk about on the internet. But then again, I`m open and outgoing. Flirting is great, fun and makes me even workout harder.

So I say, your AWESOME. Don`t let all of the anti social ear bud wearing freaks get you down. Keep doing your thing, I`m proud of you.

This,, with the exception of the building all this muscle part-- still working on that
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    nope nope nope nope.

Had bad experiences with a creeper type- had to change my whole schedule- and it makes showing up and working out so awkward- so no. I don't want to spend my workout dodging and ducking people.

I have a no work- no gym- no "anywhere I regularly go and would have to drastically change my standard operating procedures" policy.

Oh yeah this, I change my answer to this, I forgot about stalkers and how you then have to change your whole life. That's annoying as all get out.
  • AshleyM71
    AshleyM71 Posts: 3,029 Member
    Nope. Not unless they run out of barbells and need to actually pick me up. Lol
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Gyms are not for dating.

Hell, even in a gym full of other people when I get into the zone, no one else is there.

Ain't nobody got time for that.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    A dude smiled at you at the gym? He wants your babies
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Typically I think most people don't want to be bothered when they're at the gym because they're there to get a job done, not socialize. But hey... if someone shows interest why not approach them? It's 2014 for heavens sake :)
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    I have learned from MFP that anyone checking me out at the gym is creepy unless they're hot. I think the right answer to this question is I am not open to anyone talking to or hitting on me at the gym unless they're hot.

This isn't exclusive to the Gym.. it's pretty much a good lesson for life in general.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    I'm afraid he will drop me.
  • tillycrooke
    tillycrooke Posts: 15 Member
    I don't want anyone even looking at me at the gym let alone trying their moves out on me..

Yuck
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Your cute and he smiled at you...he's into you! End of story!
  • pokeytoemomma
    pokeytoemomma Posts: 18 Member
    I have two rules... i don't hit on women in the gym and I don't hit on women who are at work (waitress, bartenders etc...)

Especially bartender. Of course there going to flirt for a better tip.

Uh oh, I married my bartender..... boy o' boy, has he had to work for that tip =P
  • You are a girl, no problem with you going up and talking to a guy. Guys on the other hand run the risk of over sensitive girls putting on the "perv" or "he's a creeper" label very easily, so guys tend to shy away from doing this. At least with the guys I know.

I used to be more friendly working out, but I've become very much "in my own world" as time goes by too. The whole "If I think he's good looking, its OK, otherwise he's creepy" thing sure does apply though. I've seen a girl even complain about a guy looking at them too much and have the staff talk to the guy who was most probably "innocent" of the "crime of looking". I know it was probably all in her head, since I found her raising eyebrows at me thinking I was staring at her sometimes too, when I wasn't...she apparently liked me, not that other guy because I wasn't complained about. Not that I don't ever look, but I don't stare, and I sure wouldn't be staring at a crazy lady who's known to complain about guys staring at her!

Anyways...sure sometimes there is a real creepy guy too, but this is the kind of stuff a guy has to think about when approaching a girl in the gym: is she going to go nutty on me and make things uncomfortable/ unpleasant/ cause me consequences I may be better off leaving this gym over??? I've never had it happen, and usually I've been in a relationship so its not something I do, but I've seen the results of those who have. Just go talk to him don't expect him to talk to you!
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    I wouldn't be totally against the idea but preferably not while I'm cycling like crazy with sweat pouring down my face or mid set of weights reps.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    i think if most people are single and attracted to you wont mind you hitting on them in the gym if the timing is right (not interupting them when they REALLY dont want to be)

the problem is that its hard to determine who is and is not single without interupting them and the time that they least want to be interupted could be different for everyone.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    when I got to the gym people think I am there to clean the floors or something.

don't even lift maybe why, but unlikely to happen
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    heh heh heh....

wanna_spot_me_womens_tank_top.jpg?height=460&width=460&padToSquare=true
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Sure, I know some people that are up for it.

http://youtu.be/N7ph-1rlaZE?t=3m26s
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Just so you know the proper etiquette:

tumblr_m6s3etD0O11rslvvzo1_500.jpg
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    It's all about the community. If I can help a fellow lifter by allowing myself to be picked up, then I see no problem as long as they put me back down (gently).
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Just so you know the proper etiquette:

tumblr_m6s3etD0O11rslvvzo1_500.jpg
    note to self: i'm going to make firm eye contact with absolutely Everyone on my next leg day.