What is in your diet drink?

Options
trm68
trm68 Posts: 55 Member
The Atkins products are popular, so this is what is really in them- can you pronounce all the words, better yet, google all the ingredients and see for yourself...

Water, Milk Protein Concentrate, Sunflower Oil, Soy Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Cellulose Gel, Magnesium Phosphate, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Cellulose Gum, Sucralose, Carrageenan, Vitamin Mineral Mix (Zinc Gluconate, Ferric Orthophosphate, D-L Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Manganese Gluconate, Maltodextrin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Beta Carotene, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Chromium Chloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin K-1 and Cyanocobalamin), Salt, Acesulfame Potassium and Sodium Ascorbate. Contains Milk and Soy.

***** If its not fresh or not from the garden,,should you be drinking this stuff....

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    ***** If its not fresh or not from the garden,,should you be drinking this stuff....

Says who? I can pronounce all of those ingredients, as can anyone who has taken chem 101. I eat mac and cheese most days, complete with cheese powder. I have low-normal blood pressure, the weight is falling off me due to a combination of deficit, weight lifting, and light cardio. So where's the problem?

All ingredients in food and beverages are thoroughly tested by the FDA before they can be used in commercial foods and drinks. If you want to follow more stringent standards, like the EU's standards, go nuts. However, it is irresponsible and uninformed to post scare threads about ~things outside the garden~. We developed preservatives, jelling agents, artificial sweeteners, and other items on that list in order to create better tasting food and drink with greater shelf life and greater variety for consumers. Most grocery stores can't buy locally made smoothies and sell them before their shelf life expires.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    This is an apple. You were saying?

appleingredients.jpg
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    1395220754193.jpg

edit:
    This is an apple. You were saying?

appleingredients.jpg

Beat me to it.
  • trm68
    Options
    I see your point, we will most likely eat what we want to, just be careful over processed foods, imho.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Yawn. Why do you feel that you have the power to tell me what to eat or drink? I am an adult, and well informed of my choices.
  • CloudyMao
    Options
    Cooking is a process, but ok.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    You want to know what's in my diet drink? Ice.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I see your point, we will most likely eat what we want to, just be careful over processed foods, imho.
    Careful why? What makes a food 'processed' and why is it something one needs to be careful about?
  • CloudyMao
    Options
    IN most processed foods there's a chemical called dihydrogen monoxide, this plays a role in causing many cancers like tumours, leukaemia and malignant melanoma. It is found in acid rain, can cause severe burns, and even death if accidentally inhaled.
  • trm68
    Options
    It appears I have caused some folks to be offended which was not my intention. I am just one of those folks that looks at processed can goods carefully thats all. It would be nice to hear from a 1000 folks to see what they think.
  • CloudyMao
    Options
    No-one thinks your opinion on their eating habits is significant enough to be offended by it.
  • JTick
    Options
    IN most processed foods there's a chemical called dihydrogen monoxide, this plays a role in causing many cancers like tumours, leukaemia and malignant melanoma. It is found in acid rain, can cause severe burns, and even death if accidentally inhaled.

I agree with this. Studies have shown that 100% of people who ingest dihydrogen monoxide will die.
  • CloudyMao
    Options

I agree with this. Studies have shown that 100% of people who ingest dihydrogen monoxide will die.

The studies are truth, I've known loads of people die after ingesting dihydrogen monoxide. It's pretty scary.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits into my calorie, macro and micro goal, I will drink whatever I want in moderation, of course. Quit guilting people (not just you, by people in general) into thinking that they have to follow restrictive rules in order to reach their goals. There is nothing wrong with my Dr. Pepper 10, red wine, Capri sun, beer, or whole milk.
  • JTick
    Options
    It appears I have caused some folks to be offended which was not my intention. I am just one of those folks that looks at processed can goods carefully thats all. It would be nice to hear from a 1000 folks to see what they think.

I see you're new here, so I'm going to try to help you out. There's a wide array of people here - from "clean" eaters to "dirty" eaters to everything in between. A LOT of us practice moderation...which means we eat some chicken, we eat some vegetables, we eat some fruit, and we eat some cake and cookies and diet coke. I doubt any of us will ever change our mind. If you want to eat unprocessed food, that's AWESOME...for you. But I'm probably not going to take kindly to someone who tells me to give up my Diet Coke...you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. :wink:
  • CloudyMao
    Options
    trm68 if you want a genuine response, you'll find that the opinion of the vast majority on here is;

Enjoy everything in moderation.
    Eat mostly 'cleanly' unless you don't feel like it.
    Exercise regularly.
    Make adjustments to your lifestyle.
    Don't restrict any kinds of foods.

You will find that most people will encourage some "processed indulgence" if you will. It it makes HEALTH a sustainable lifestyle.

I only came in here because I needed somewhere to eat a bucket of popcorn.
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I struggle to pronounce avocado (no idea why, it just comes out wrong) - does that mean I can't eat it anymore?
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking a Diet Dr. Pepper right now straight from the garden at McDonalds. I didn't read this thread, but I wanted to let you know anyways.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    besides don't you want to take in all the preservatives you can. If it preserves the food it will preserve you... #Immortal