Sore from Lifting

Options

Replies

• G3nome
    G3nome Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Usually the second day is the worst, for the pain. This is completely normal.

Maybe you can reconfigure your lifting schedule to allow more time inbetween lifting? Or work different muscle groups, so legs on Tuesday, Arms on thursday, or something?

Back in the day when I worked out solo in a gym I rotated and it helped. I did arms one day, legs the next, and cardio and abs at every visit. They taught me that at an all women's gym, and it proved to be very effective. I only used machines, though.

Now I'm lifting with a barbell with my boyfriend. In each session we do 3X10 Barbell Curls, Military/Overhead Press, Deadlift, Bench Press and the Squat.

I like the idea and the feelings you get from lifting like this, but holy jacked up moly it is hard/hurts/ouch!

You do that routine every time?

1. Drop the barbell curls. That's such a bro thing. As a newbie, you really have no use for them.

2. Even if you're doing a full body routine, you're doing too many big lifts, too many times a week. What program are you following? If you're not following a program, there's your problem. Get on a program and stick with it.

3. You're not recovering - no wonder you're sore. See point 2.

4. Drink the protein. Eat the protein. Protein does not make you gain weight, excess calories does.

Protein and Amino Acids should help with recovery/soreness; at least it did for me.
  • patb987
    patb987 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Usually the second day is the worst, for the pain. This is completely normal.

Maybe you can reconfigure your lifting schedule to allow more time inbetween lifting? Or work different muscle groups, so legs on Tuesday, Arms on thursday, or something?

Back in the day when I worked out solo in a gym I rotated and it helped. I did arms one day, legs the next, and cardio and abs at every visit. They taught me that at an all women's gym, and it proved to be very effective. I only used machines, though.

Now I'm lifting with a barbell with my boyfriend. In each session we do 3X10 Barbell Curls, Military/Overhead Press, Deadlift, Bench Press and the Squat.

I like the idea and the feelings you get from lifting like this, but holy jacked up moly it is hard/hurts/ouch!

Free weights are a lot harder than machine weights, the reason being is that you are now using secondary stabilizing muscles that you never used when using machines. Keep it up and the pain will start to go away, you just found some muscles that you didn't know you had ;-)
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I love the DOMS! Just make sure you are stretching, drinking plenty of water, and taking in enough protein. I've heard a quick warmup before lifting (i.e. 5 min on treadmill/elliptical) and then stretching afterwards is best. The pain should decrease after every time you lift if you are consistent. You should try to push through on your scheduled lifting days, but if it's really too bad and don't want to push yourself, opt for some walking or yoga instead and make it up another time.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I can't remember that last time something wasn't sore :-) As long as it's DOMS and not an injury keep at it. The worst I have had DOMS it only lasted 72 hours. Also, the longer I go without exercise the worse DOMS is.

Like others have mentioned, more water, more warming up, more stretching/rolling. A little extra Magnesium and Potassium can help too.

Good luck!!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

You do that routine every time?

1. Drop the barbell curls. That's such a bro thing. As a newbie, you really have no use for them.

2. Even if you're doing a full body routine, you're doing too many big lifts, too many times a week. What program are you following? If you're not following a program, there's your problem. Get on a program and stick with it.

3. You're not recovering - no wonder you're sore. See point 2.

4. Drink the protein. Eat the protein. Protein does not make you gain weight, excess calories does.

Protein and Amino Acids should help with recovery/soreness; at least it did for me.

Agree. I haven't played with BCAAs yet, but I can always tell if I don't eat enough protein after working out...I can't move the next day.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of ways to get protein without going to protein shakes. Eggs, meats, dairy, etc.

I would be willing to bet that if you had been calorie counting when you were drinking protein shakes that you were going over your daily limit. Protein powders can vary widely in the amount of calories per scoop depending on the source of the protein and what other stuff the manufacturers add to it. Always check the labels to find the lowest calorie/protein ratio if you're concerned about fitting it into your daily calorie allowance.

Also, according to research your body only has the ability to make bio-active (meaning: use for building muscle) somewhere in the range of 20-30g of protein at once. Anything more than that gets converted to energy - and if you're not using it at the moment, that equals storing it as fat. It's better to space out your protein intake throughout the day than to get your daily protein requirements by massively dosing it all at once with a big protein shake with 2 scoops of protein in it.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    If it still hurts after two days should I even keep pushing myself?

1) Water. Drink more
    2) Protein. Eat more (lean red meat is most effective, in my experience)
    3) Warm up before
    3) Stretch after
    4) Deload
    5) Sleep!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    While I got you all here... can anyone recommend a stretching routine that will optimize the time I do spend stretching?

I've been afraid of stretching myself after a stint this year that I seemed to have irritated my IT band.

I know that's completely counter productive, but it seemed like the less I used it, the less I was affected.

But I think it's still messed up.

I haven't been to a doctor or anything for it (as you can see from my previous post, I already have all the scripts they'd give me anyways.)
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Third vote that you are doing too many big lifts on one day. Programs are written so that you don't overtire the same muscle groups on the same day. I do Stronglifts 5x5 (newbie) and even when I'm really sore, I find a 10 minute cardio warmup, a warmup set with just the bar, and some kind of protein after workouts helps. If I'm REALLY sore, esp from squats, since on my program you do them three times a week, I just deload a little for that next workout for the first set or two and see how I do. Lifting should fit well into a busy routine, for Stronglifts my workout is usually 10 min cardio warmup, 35-40 minutes lifting. done. If I have time for a walk or jog after (and energy) I do it, if not, no worries. Stretching helps too! Take care of yourself chica! :flowerforyou:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I can't remember that last time something wasn't sore :-) As long as it's DOMS and not an injury keep at it. The worst I have had DOMS it only lasted 72 hours. Also, the longer I go without exercise the worse DOMS is.

Like others have mentioned, more water, more warming up, more stretching/rolling. A little extra Magnesium and Potassium can help too.

Good luck!!

I do take a magnesium supplement and try to eat a lot of bananas, those definitely do help.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've been afraid of stretching myself after a stint this year that I seemed to have irritated my IT band.
    Roll it, that shizz won't get better with good thoughts.
    I haven't been to a doctor or anything for it (as you can see from my previous post, I already have all the scripts they'd give me anyways.)
    Don't be a jon snow. See the doctor and get the PT in for that. It takes a while to rehab that IT band silliness, and then you have to be good about rolling it out.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    the muscle recovery.

Sleep also I read cold showers helps with muscle recovery from workouts.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I do lift before dinner.

So after the workout I have to spend about an hour cooking, then we can eat. Sometimes less. (I'm cooking for a family, not just me.)

But that's when I have good proteins like fish, beef, and chicken.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping those lifts are divided somewhat. Those are great lifts but I don't think they're supposed to all happen on the same day, at least not for a beginner.

I also think you need to deload and start off at a weight that lets you do the routine 3x per week. DOMS can be a nuisance but they shouldn't be so bad that they're preventing you from your scheduled workouts (especially at the beginning of a compound lift program). It sounds like you're headed for injury.

Also, foam roller. Get it, use it, hate it, love it (it happens in that order).

Lastly, have a glass of chocolate milk after your workouts. They're awesome for recovery (especially when you're not eating until an hour+ after your workout).
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I will definitely get a foam roller and somehow cram stretching into the schedule.

Should I be stretching before the workout or after? Please don't say both.

LOL. There is not enough time for tons of stretching and rolling, I'd like to be able to knock it out in 5-10 minutes tops.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    BTW, thanks to you all for the advice.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I will definitely get a foam roller and somehow cram stretching into the schedule.

Should I be stretching before the workout or after? Please don't say both.

LOL. There is not enough time for tons of stretching and rolling, I'd like to be able to knock it out in 5-10 minutes tops.

You know the answer. Stretching can actually big muscle better than not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Key phrase I caught: "sometimes we skip the lifting".

If you skip, you give the muscle more chance to "de condition" and the next regular workout will more than likely cause soreness.

Soreness also happens ALOT if nutritional values aren't met. Rebuilding needs nutrients and lack of them reduces the effectiveness of the process.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Key phrase I caught: "sometimes we skip the lifting".

If you skip, you give the muscle more chance to "de condition" and the next regular workout will more than likely cause soreness.

Soreness also happens ALOT if nutritional values aren't met. Rebuilding needs nutrients and lack of them reduces the effectiveness of the process.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

+ over 9000

Also how do people effectively lift heavy squat, dead lift, bench, and overhead press in the same session? That is immortal status.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    + over 9000

Also how do people effectively lift heavy squat, dead lift, bench, and overhead press in the same session? That is immortal status.

It can be done, but definitely not in an efficient min/max manner.