Do you eat at the dinner table?

Options
For years my husband and I have ate dinner in front of the TV. Up until recently we had no kids (we have a 4 month old now) but she isn't on solids yet so it still didn't seem like a big deal to eat in front of the TV.

But I couldn't figure out why I can eat a healthy breakfast and lunch (at work) and view it as fuel for my body, but at dinner I just want to pig out and eat comfort food, and I think it is because of eating in front of the TV. So last night I put my daughter in her highchair for the first time, she had a bottle and I ate my dinner at the table (my husband was still at work) and it seemed to help shift my view.

So, do you eat at the table and do you think it helps, or do you think it would help?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I eat at the table. I don't think it affects my weight at all, I just think eating on the couch is gross.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i do and i do. if you separate eating as a separate activity you are less likely to overeat because it makes you more conscious of what is going into your mouth
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I eat at the table because I'm usually cutting things and that's tricky.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    YES! My husband and I have no kids (two dogs - fur kids) lol

But yeah, every night regardless of what we are eating, we sit at the kitchen table together and enjoy dinner together and have some conversation. Granted, many nights the TV is on in the back ground to catch up on some news. But for the most part we eat and talk to each other. I find this helps because watching TV is a trigger for me to snack. Also, by having dinner conversation we both tend to eat slower than normal because we are talking. So we feel full in an appropriate time frame vs. eating fast.

I also try to do other things when I am eating. While I like to take great care in preparing my food and eating thoughtfully (taste/sense/smell/looks), etc. I also find that if I am reading, typing, writing, etc. just something casual while eating I tend to eat slowly as I am doing other things in-between. This has worked well for me as I was always a fast eater and would tend to over eat as a result.

For example... Just now while typing this, I was eating a peach. I would stop, look at my food, take a bite, enjoy the flavor/sensation, chew, swallow, and type then type more.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I always eat at the table. I am not comfortable eating off my lap on the couch on at a small TV tray. Hubby on the other wants nothing but TV time during dinner. I let him eat there if it's a casual dinner, and eat at the table if it's a "nicer" dinner. I think eating at them table puts you more in a mind set that pays attention to what you ARE eating. Eating in front of the TV can very easily slip into mindless eating, and before you know it, you have eaten way more than you had intended to.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dinner table. :-(

You prelog your food no matter where you eat it though right? It doesn't matter where you eat so long as you prelog it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    We eat as a family at the table or out on the patio table a few nights per week...usually Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday nights. The other nights, my wife and I eat after the kids go to bed and we usually eat in front of the t.v. I don't eat any more or less in front of the t.v. than I do at the dinner table....i practice the same portion control either way.
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have 1 child (3) we always eat at the table. Find it much better for eating but don`t think it helps weight loss, however its better to engage in conversations with everyone than sat in front of TV, we tend to have music (quietly mind) playing in the background.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    When I'm alone I'll usually be on the sofa. When guests are round we'll eat at the table. I haven't noticed it make any difference in terms of what I eat / want to eat / how much I eat.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I found that when I eat at the couch, I just kind of shovel food into my face. Where as when I eat at the table, I focus on it and really am aware of the act of eating.

While I still enjoy munching away in front of my shows in the evening, I feel more satisfied when I eat my meal at the table.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dinner table. :-(

You prelog your food no matter where you eat it though right? It doesn't matter where you eat so long as you prelog it.

This here... I eat it directly from the pan after I cook it.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    the only time we ever eat at the table is Christmas day
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I have 1 child (3) we always eat at the table. Find it much better for eating but don`t think it helps weight loss, however its better to engage in conversations with everyone than sat in front of TV, we tend to have music (quietly mind) playing in the background.

Yes... I think this is so important. My husband and I both grew up in families where dinner time was 5 PM, everyone had better be at the table, the TV got shut off and the phone was taken off the hook. It was family time for conversation and sharing food. That is a precious value to me that I wish was sustained. Unfortunately everyone is so busy these days most kids are eating quickly in front of the TV.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I eat on the sofa (well off of a tray) and don't think it makes a difference. Saying that, our living room/dining room is open plan so even at the table we put the TV on lol!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I weigh my food in the kitchen, so I don't think it affects what I eat at all.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

I agree with this, I always pre-log so it makes no difference
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are three of us and we almost always eat at the dinner table. The TV is often on in the background, though, and the dining and living areas are one big room. We do have a no cell phone rule, though. The exception is the rare occasions when one of us picks up pizza or fast food on the way home because everyone got home late that day.

I'm not sure how sitting in front the TV would change how much I eat except that I might eat even less. I make up a plate of food and I eat it. The serving dishes would be in the kitchen; I'm not going to bring them into the living room with me. In order to have seconds I'd have to get up from the sofa, go into the kitchen, serve myself more food then go back into the living room and sit down to eat it. That's not likely to happen.

If you're bringing the meal into the living room with you perhaps that is what needs to change? Just put your portioned/weighed servings of food with you to the TV and leave the rest in the kitchen.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    No kids, but my husband and I eat at the table most nights. We will sometimes have snacks or whatnot in the living room though. I think as long as someone is conscious about the food they are eating and the portions it shouldn't matter too much. Back when I lived by myself I ate most meals in the living room, but that was mostly because I couldn't see my TV from the kitchen, I would get bored!