Do you eat at the dinner table?

Options

Replies

• icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    We have a dining table, it's a new addition in recent months. It's covered in 40K miniatures and boxes full of paints. We usually sit on the sofa, or better yet have a living room picnic on the floor.
    My daughter and I stay with family on the days I work though, as I work in a different town/free childcare, and we'll usually eat at the table there.

I don't find much of a difference between the two though, to be honest.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    We rarely eat together or even eat the same things (I'm vegetarian, he's not) and it's just the two of us, so we rarely eat at the table. But I do still eat healthy, nutritious food most of the time.

Where I eat doesn't affect me in that way. But you are you and if it helps you to eat at the table, then eat at the table!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any magic trick to it. It's all about calorie deficit. But I have noticed that ever since I've started this weight loss journey, I tend to naturally eat at the table. Whereas before, I always ate at the couch (I'm single with no kids). So, I wonder if there might just be some mental thing that it does. Kinda like how they encourage people to not read, watch TV, or work in bed so that your brain only associates bed with sleep. Maybe eating at the table does the same thing for us. If we only associate food with the table... Maybe we are less likely to snack mindlessly. Honestly, I don't know! Just thinking out loud, because I've noticed that in my own behavior.
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't have a kitchen table. My husband and I have a really tiny house, and since we never ate at the table anyway, we just got rid of it because it was taking up too much space. Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to eat at a table though, but now we don't have one... lol
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    We have a table, but rarely eat at it. I prepare my food in the kitchen so it really makes no difference where I eat it.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I don't have a kitchen table. My husband and I have a really tiny house, and since we never ate at the table anyway, we just got rid of it because it was taking up too much space. Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to eat at a table though, but now we don't have one... lol
    Where do you collect all your junk mail??? lol
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    95% of the time we eat dinner together at the table. I have one daughter. We have always done this it is a time for us to sit as a family and talk to each other, the only time we don't is if she has practice or a game.

I like to eat breakfast on the coach watching tv.

Lunch is kinda of whatever, sometimes at the table, sometimes on the coach, sometimes while I am walking around doing other things to prepare for my day.

It doesn't really change my eating habits but I could see how some people all I to mindless eating while watching tv.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Nope never..... The table is used for folding towels and putting clutter on.... I eat in my recliner at just about every meal, unless we are eating out.. haven't figured out a way to take the recliner with me.... :tongue:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    All nutrition aside, I personally think it's important for a healthy family dynamic to have a scheduled uninterrupted time to sit and be with each other. Most families make that dinnertime. I try to make sitting at a table for dinner a priority.
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Coffee table. LOL
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Yes we have our meals at the dinner table.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    All nutrition aside, I personally think it's important for a healthy family dynamic to have a scheduled uninterrupted time to sit and be with each other. Most families make that dinnertime. I try to make sitting at a table for dinner a priority.

I would agree with this, we always sat at the table as kids.

Me and my fiance don't have kids yet (well, we have our dog) but I would like to think we will do this when we do. It has nothing to do with portion control though.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Coffee table. LOL
    Ah. Yes, that works. I don't have a coffee table so the kitchen table is essential.
  • amatolauren
    amatolauren Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    we have a Dining room table ... but my boyfriend and i tend to still eat in front of the tv. we have a couch but i like sitting on the floor i don't know why ::weird:: i know . but when the table is cleaned off from laundry we tend to eat at the table. now my bf is a gamer...and he loves his games and tv so its a little fuss but all ends well, we eat at the table .lol
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dinner table. I can't afford one and there's no room for one in my tiny kitchen (no dining room either).

I eat at my computer desk, as does DH at his.

My daughter eats at her kiddy table.

I don't think it really effects anything. I prelog everything and just fine tune weights and stuff after I'm done cooking.

And Junk mail goes in the trash.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    We have a table, and a bar. Unless we have company over, we sit at the bar and eat. The TV gets turned off during meal times.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dinner table. :-(

You prelog your food no matter where you eat it though right? It doesn't matter where you eat so long as you prelog it.

I guess that is my main problem....associating dinner with curling up in front of the TV often makes me want to throw out whatever I had planned for dinner (not literally) and get McDonalds or something. So really, I'm hoping eating at the table changes my overall view of dinner to make me want to eat a healthier, home cooked portion controlled dinner.

When I cook, it is rare that I would get more than my original portion....it's just following through with the plan of cooking and not hitting the drive thru is where my issue lays.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Nope my husband and I usually eat dinner while watching TV unless we sit outside for dinner. When the kids were still living at home we did because it was a great time to sit and talk.
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Eat at the Table majority of the time. But we love the dining room. We sit around the table and talk when it's not meal time. We play games, and just spend time together there.

I don't know that it has a positive impact on my weight loss as it is closer to the stove for second helpings ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I eat at the table. I don't think it affects my weight at all, I just think eating on the couch is gross.

+1......plus eating at the table is a good way for a family to spend time together with no other distractions (even if it's an empty nest)