I Cant seem to get in the required amount of calories..HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• ginnyroxx
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! add in trying to watch my sodium level and it's a tricky balance, i'm finding.

I've added peanut butter into my snacks and breakfasts. Also fruit is awesome! 1 small banana is just over 100 calories and no sodium!

avocado is high in calories but healthy for you.
    almonds - i found some salted w/ sea salt (lower in sodium)

good luck :)
  • byebye200
    Options
    also, get a Heart Rate Monitor to be sure of your burn if you don't have one already. 700-1000 is a LOT and would be a full hour to hour and a 1/2 at max heart rate. if you're going by the machine, it might be telling you over double what you are really burning! And then you might overeat thinking you need more cals.

Yes i go by the machine and use the monitors on it, i add my weight n age as well to get an "accurate" acct of wat i am burning...and i workout a lil shy of 2 hours most days, but mostly 1.20 min....elliptical training on the interval prog, burns over 700 cal easy....it goes from resistance 1 to 8 then back to 1 every minute ( i love it too )..also i have 2 small children, i work full time, cook all my dinners, and a fiance 7 years younger than me..lmao so My calories burned are pretty accurate..im going to up my eating nxt week anyway to change up things so that i wont plateau....i just fin lunch n didnt even eat the whole steamer...uugghh it wsnt that good for one and i think eating the pear first ruined it...now im ful like i ate a steak sandwich...smh...this poor body of mine..lol
  • autumnbaby1234
    autumnbaby1234 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i too was wondering how you were getting your calories burned. the only safe way is by a HRM. if you are going by the machines at the gym they are not accurate at all and you may be over estimating. just a thought
  • pattysw17
    Options
    Hi Byebye200! Don't dismay...according to my calculations, you should be eating beween 1700 and 2000 calories a week. Try adding some additional protein to your diet, not carbs...this will help you to burn fat when you are exercising....but EAT because you are starving yourself BIG TIME!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Yes i go by the machine and use the monitors on it, i add my weight n age as well to get an "accurate" acct of wat i am burning...and i workout a lil shy of 2 hours most days, but mostly 1.20 min....elliptical training on the interval prog, burns over 700 cal easy....it goes from resistance 1 to 8 then back to 1 every minute ( i love it too )..also i have 2 small children, i work full time, cook all my dinners, and a fiance 7 years younger than me..lmao so My calories burned are pretty accurate..im going to up my eating nxt week anyway to change up things so that i wont plateau....i just fin lunch n didnt even eat the whole steamer...uugghh it wsnt that good for one and i think eating the pear first ruined it...now im ful like i ate a steak sandwich...smh...this poor body of mine..lol

I used to go by the machine, but when i got my HRM I found out that even after putting my weight and age in the machine it was telling me in one hour on high intervals I burned about 750 calories and my HRM told me it was actually about 450.

Also, be sure to shake up your gym routine sometimes too for a weight loss jumpstart and work in weights too if you don't already!
  • byebye200
    Options
    OK REALLY??...THANKS..I THINK I WILL PICK ONE UP THIS WEEKEND...AND MAYBE IM NOT IN SUCH BAD SHAPE FOOD WISE ANYWAYS...
    oH yes i plan to do some classes next week instead of machines..and yes i do weights after or b4 my cardio workouts.....
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    OK REALLY??...THANKS..I THINK I WILL PICK ONE UP THIS WEEKEND...AND MAYBE IM NOT IN SUCH BAD SHAPE FOOD WISE ANYWAYS...
    oH yes i plan to do some classes next week instead of machines..and yes i do weights after or b4 my cardio workouts.....

Before you buy one - do some looking - general consensus is Polar is the "best" and people love the F6 (that's what i have) and there are a couple other models too. Watch out with lower # models in the Polar range because they are not coded and can pick up other machines and monitors - they're not made for gym use.

Also, check ebay and also ask around. I got mine 2 yrs ago for $75 from one of the Y instructors who I learned was a dealer and could get them for Y members at cost. It was one of my best purchases ever. I use it ALL the time! (I learned I burn over 500 cals an hour playing in the snow! LOL! And was VERY surprised that walking 4 mi an hour burns 700 an hour for me! I was shocked there!)
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Hi Byebye200! Don't dismay...according to my calculations, you should be eating beween 1700 and 2000 calories a week. Try adding some additional protein to your diet, not carbs...this will help you to burn fat when you are exercising....but EAT because you are starving yourself BIG TIME!

Ummm.... I hope you are trying to say 1700-2000 per DAY not week!

Don't forget that the calories on MFP have already been -500 of what you need so you can lose. If you eat 1200, then exercise and -500 you are only giving your body 700!