Is it OK to skip breakfast?

Options

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    if you are to skip a meal, breakfast is the last you want to skip. It is the most important meal of the day, the one that gets you started and fuels you for the day.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I eat breakfast. If I'm not I don't. Even when I do eat breakfast it's still a good 4 hours after I wake up. It's not uncommon for me to eat two meals a day plus snacks. Eating breakfast doesn't ruin my day, but forcing my self to do something that my body is telling me I don't need to do does.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I come from Europe. Breakfast with cereals are very rare there. That is not what we mean by breakfast

Your specific country in Europe may be, breakfast cereals are pretty much the go to for a lot of people in the UK.

Personally I can't eat when I get up but will have my breakfast when I get to work after the gym.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast every day! It may not be until 2pm, but I break my fast every day. ;)
  • RealtyGoddess
    RealtyGoddess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate to admit it. I do much better when I eat breakfast. Thank GOD I have a husband who is a breakfast freak and fixes it or else it would be burnt eggs and whatever else! Even if you juice you should have something to start your day off right. Just my 2 cent.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    dont worry about it just keep hydrated i dont eat breakfast either :)
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Weeelllll how do you define breakfast?
    I wake up. Not usually hungry for 2-3 hours. So usually I eat "breakfast" at about ten am at work. I guess that counts? It's more like a snack..
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You should try to eat something within a couple hours. My trainer says within an hour of waking but I don't even do that. I can't eat for a couple hrs after getting up but you definitely shouldn't wait until noon to eat.

You need to be consistent with giving your body food. If you have dinner at say 7pm and you don't eat again until noon the next day that's over 12hrs your body is going without food. That is not good. Your body needs to know that it is getting food at regular intervals. My trainer keeps telling me I need to be eating every 3-4 hrs to keep up my metabolism.

By not eating for long periods your metabolism takes a nose dive and you don't burn calories at the optimal level.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    You should try to eat something within a couple hours. My trainer says within an hour of waking but I don't even do that. I can't eat for a couple hrs after getting up but you definitely shouldn't wait until noon to eat.

You need to be consistent with giving your body food. If you have dinner at say 7pm and you don't eat again until noon the next day that's over 12hrs your body is going without food. That is not good. Your body needs to know that it is getting food at regular intervals. My trainer keeps telling me I need to be eating every 3-4 hrs to keep up my metabolism.

By not eating for long periods your metabolism takes a nose dive and you don't burn calories at the optimal level.
    wrong. ever heard of intermittent fasting?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    proven wrong by who? american dietetician?

considering the track of record of health and nutrition in the US, I stay with the European thinking...

No - by peer reviewed studies - some can be found here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

None of this is true. Your trainer is misinformed.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Your traineris talking crapola.

OP: eat to a frequency that suits adherence, preference and energy levels.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

This is incorrect. By not eating for long periods, your resting metabolism speeds up.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

Break+Fast=breakfast. Breaking the fast. This can happen at anytime during the day. It's not a law to eat foods as soon as you wake up. Your metabolism is constantly running. It will not take a "nose dive" if you don't eat every X amount of hours.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Get a new trainer. Preferably one that doesn't push nonsense.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I can't understand how people don't get hungry :( My breakfast is just over 700cals and my biggest meal. Also breakfast food is the best kind of food there is :D
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I can't understand how people don't get hungry :( My breakfast is just over 700cals and my biggest meal. Also breakfast food is the best kind of food there is :D

*shrug*. If I don't eat in the early AM, I don't get hungry until 1 or so. If I do .. I'm ravenous by 11:00
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No it is not okay at all, if you never break your fast (breakfast) you will eventually die within a couple weeks or so.

That said there is no time of the day that you have to have break-fast, eat when it best suits you. 2 big meals or 10 snacks will result in the same weight loss, though may affect energy levels differently.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    yes, it's okay since 2nd breakfast can make up for it.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast foods... I tend to make them for dinner though. I'm not a breakfast eater. I haven't been for as long as I can remember. I gained weight not eating breakfast, and now I'm losing weight still not eating breakfast. I'm more hungry in the evenings, so I usually have a couple smallish meals/larger snacks in the afternoon, a large evening meal, and another small snack at bedtime after my evening workout. (Because I'm SO VERY MUCH not a morning person and prefer to exercise at night).