If every day were like today... You'd weigh...

Options

Replies

• cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's accurate, but I find it to be useful in motivating me. If I have a bad day, and it says I will weigh a larger amount in five weeks, I'm motivated to do better, and if I have a really good day, and it says I'll weigh some tiny number in five weeks, then I'm pleased and motivated to see that small number again. I do wish it was accurate, though!
    ^^This is EXACTLY how I feel!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I have found it pretty accurate in my case. I love this function and use it to motivate me.
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think that is how MFP tries to motivate us, but it's not entirely accurate.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Mine said I'd weigh 100.4lbs in 5 weeks when I closed my diary last night. I weigh 200lbs right now...then again I did log that I burned 10,000 calories yesterday during my workout...
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 5:2 and today is a fast day. 14 calories from my coffee is all I'll probably consume, and tomorrow I'll enjoy a giant healthy meal. So I clicked it to see what I'd weigh in five weeks if every day really were like today. 102? Really? That's all I'd lose in five weeks of no food whatsoever? 15 pounds?

Not that I wouldn't be dead probably by then regardless, but it's a bit shocking how little I'd lose if it's accurate. I guess I'll just continue to eat on my feed days!

Edit: Even more discouraging still, if every day were like my big feed day this week, I'd weigh 138 in five weeks. Definitely easier to gain than to lose!
  • Fentyman
    Fentyman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My only complaint is the starvation mode message it gives you when you eat under your calories because everything I read and hear says that starvation mode is a complete myth.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My predictions have been fairly accurate.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I wish they would remove it. I hate it. :/
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I adore this particular inaccurate function! ..... Yes, I am shallow and motivated by bright, sparkly things like random numbers, but whatever works! :D

LOL...THIS^^^ Of course it's inaccurate, but it can be motivating to just keep doing the right things. "Whatever works"
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yup, just don't complete my day!! I couldn't stand seeing that message or the one that says "you're not eating enough" if I happened to have a day that was lower than 1200 calories (which rarely ever happened, lol). Sooo, just stopped completing the day - problem solved!
  • camy_chick
    camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i have followed this before - i found that if i take a the numbers, and AVERAGE them(without changing my weight during the 5 weeks) it is actually pretty close - within 2-3 pounds either way.......but, it really depends on your dedication, and how "regular" you are eating - not wildly changing your caloric intake from one extreme to the other.....
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't pay any attention to that.
  • dagonet8500
    Options
    So far it has been fairly accurate. I typically lose 2 pounds a week on average. However I always eat at a deficit and typically work out 5 days a week minimum.
  • homemadehippy
    homemadehippy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Actually for me, since I track my weight daily ( I know you're not suppose to but it motivates me whether it goes up or down) it is pretty right on and I don't eat the same thing every day but I do eat about the same calories and burn the same amount of calories everyday.

I agree. It's been pretty accurate for me. I was just mentioning to someone last night that this is my favorite feature of MFP.
  • LadyArchangel
    LadyArchangel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wish on my best days it would be accurate! Too bad I do have bad days, as well as good ones. It was pretty accurate in the beginning where I was losing about 13lbs a month. Of course it's slowed down since I'm almost at the 1 Year mark.

Now I just don't pay attention to that number. I'll get there when I get there.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mva2zmOTFC1qkq4j4o1_500.gif
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I jest went back to the first week I logged, and it was not even in the ballpark!
  • 7w6sxChris
    7w6sxChris Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I actually like the feature, I guess I am on my own with that though haha. :-) Mine is never a wacky number though...I have it set to lose 1 lb a week and if I stick to my calorie intake for the day then it basically says I will lose 5 lbs in five weeks....pretty accurate and the whole reason I am keeping track so I am pleased with it!! Even if it isn't an exact science, it is good, realistic motivation for me, so I am pleased :-)
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is saying its way out, but in reality its probably not. IF you ate EXACTLY the same thing every day for five weeks AND burnt EXACTLY the same amount of calories every day it is probably reasonably close. But no one does. Everyday is different.

Exactly this... "If EVERY day were like today" it's not MFP that is off, we are off! If you are set up to lose 2lbs a week then if you truly follow your calories you should be down 10 lbs in 5 weeks. But most people are not that consistent. Best of luck to everyone!!:drinker:
  • troutrouter
    Options
    You wouldn't have to eat the exact same thing each day. You would just have to eat the same number of calories.