If every day were like today... You'd weigh...

Options

Replies

• dogpaws4ever
    dogpaws4ever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just went back to my start date on May 26th and counted out 5 weeks to see what the difference was from that very first prediction to June 30th.
    I still needed to lose 7 pounds to fit MFP's prediction...but I still enjoy seeing it pop up at the end of the day. It always reminds me that I WILL get to that next goal.
  • japaneseboy
    japaneseboy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So far it has been fairly accurate. I typically lose 2 pounds a week on average. However I always eat at a deficit and typically work out 5 days a week minimum.

Same here. Plus i eat the same basically every day so there's really no reason for it to be off.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I was *just* thinking about this since the number it's giving me is so absurd. Mine told me for a while that I'd be 20# less than I was at the time. How the hell, then, did I gain 10#? Yeah. Nice.

(PS-I gained because of medical stuff, so I know I'm an extenuating circumstance. :grumble: )
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Try quick adding 1,000,000,000 calories and see what it comes up with. Hilarious.
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    it's pretty spot on for me (i bet the five week goal sometimes), but I had over 100lbs to lose.
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    So far it has been fairly accurate. I typically lose 2 pounds a week on average. However I always eat at a deficit and typically work out 5 days a week minimum.

Ditto!
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    No one's a robot doing the same thing every day! It's more of a encouragement if anything. If you have a big deficit and did it every day you're going to lose weight, and visa versa. I would focus on building a healthy lifestyle and setting realistic goals for yourself and then going out and achieving them. :)
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    Everyone here is saying its way out, but in reality its probably not. IF you ate EXACTLY the same thing every day for five weeks AND burnt EXACTLY the same amount of calories every day it is probably reasonably close. But no one does. Everyday is different.

I'm sorry but I actually do stay under my limit 99% of the times and I'm not even close to what the app says. Losing weight is not a linear process like this app assumes and results can vary greatly based on many physical characteristics which this app does not take into consideration.

The lighter you are, the more inaccurate the number gets
  • mcusumano95
    mcusumano95 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do love this inaccurate bit of information, because it does challenge me to stay on track!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's accurate, but I find it to be useful in motivating me. If I have a bad day, and it says I will weigh a larger amount in five weeks, I'm motivated to do better, and if I have a really good day, and it says I'll weigh some tiny number in five weeks, then I'm pleased and motivated to see that small number again. I do wish it was accurate, though!

I have the same thought :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Nope. I use the TDEE method at a 10% deficit and don't log my exercise, so it usually tells me I'll weigh the same or more than I do now in 5 weeks. Yet the scale says I went down a pound this week.

Plus I eat less on weekdays than on weekends as long as I stay under my weekly goal.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I enjoy seeing it even though it is extremely inaccurate. I already know that I lose weight WAY quicker than that-- and I am not counting water weight (that's why I won't weigh myself until diet is over-- to get an honest weight, not a water-weight-affected number). I've been down this same road a zillion times. Their number is an extreme underestimate.
  • Sue_D
    Sue_D Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's crazy. It says I'll be exactly the same weight the same if I ate 1089 calories per day which is at least half as much as I usually eat
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I lose more quickly than it predicts.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It is math. The same math you use when you use calorie budgeting to lose weight. You tell it that on this day, you ate at a deficit of xxx.x calories. It multiples those xx calories by 35 days, then divides that by the number of calories in a pound. Less your current weight, boom. Hard to be inaccurate with simple math. But I know very few people who eat at the same xxx.x calories all of those 35 days. Or that their weight day of was definitely xx.x. We fluctuate, our deficit fluctuates. And if you're following a plan with .5-1 lb/week loss, there's not a lot of room for deviation. But it should be close to accurate if you're eating at the same deficit every day.

For those that don't want to see it, stop hitting complete. It doesn't serve any purpose other than to play this math for you and post to all your friends. I stopped completing my diary months ago as I don't find the numbers helpful and I don't want to clog up my friends newsfeeds every day with the fact that I closed my diary or ate under my limit.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I shoud've been 120 5 weeks ago but instead I'm 129.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    It isn't way off for me only about 3lbs out but I am very close to maintenance but I like this function because even though I know it wont happen in 5 weeks it will happen that's a good reason to keep logging and doing what your doing
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I spent some time putting the weights in my outlook calendar on the date it would be - eg counting 5 weeks ahead

and tbh - they weren't half bad for the weekly average weight - kind of in the ballpark
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    cybernet00 wrote: »
    Actually for me, since I track my weight daily ( I know you're not suppose to but it motivates me whether it goes up or down) it is pretty right on and I don't eat the same thing every day but I do eat about the same calories and burn the same amount of calories everyday.

It is right on for me. It usually say 10lbs down in 5 weeks I know this will open up a big debate, but I think the cleaner you eat the more accurate I don't beleive the 'calorie is a calorie nomatter what what it is' Eatting your calories in jelly donuts will give a different result then the same amount of calories in chiken and veggies. Like I said, it usually says 10 down in 5 weeks for me and I hit. One thing is I don't log my stegnth traing, just my cardio, so that might be the difference.
  • njkokomo
    njkokomo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love it because it does motivate me. If I am putting down an extra snack and then see the weight, I remove the snack.