weighing bananas

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
when you weigh a banana to work out its calories do you weigh it with skin on or peel it first then weigh it?

Replies

• Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you eat the banana peel or not...
  • TimTomakin
    TimTomakin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Weigh it with the peel off.

Only weigh the edible portion of all foods.
  • MWShep
    MWShep Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I weigh with skin on and then weigh the skin after eating and subtract the two.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    MW Beat me to it ...
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I don't bother weighing them .... that is just obsessive. Never did .. never will. Fruit and veggies are pretty safe .. they are not usually the reason we have weight loss issues.

But .. to answer your ? ... I agree with the above, unless you intend on eating that peel do not weigh it.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options

I do this... bananas and anything that I'm not eating the whole thing(a mango is about 2/3 edible by weight seriously)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I just take the most common amount in the database. Average banana is about 7-8 inches with about 110-120 cals from what I remember.

I'm more interested in getting as close as I can without being neurotic about it. It's like getting to the point of eating an apple then weighing the core. I really don't want to be that guy.
  • JosieRawr
    Options
    I don't bother weighing them .... that is just obsessive. Never did .. never will. Fruit and veggies are pretty safe .. they are not usually the reason we have weight loss issues.

If you do not weight your fruits and veggies and have a small deficient you could easily have no deficient when you're done...
  • sullus
    Options

I actually don't do whole fruits by weight. Medium Banana - close enough. Like an apple - is there anyone who would actually take the time to weigh an apple, eat it, then weigh the core, then do math? Yeef ..
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

But .. to answer your ? ... I agree with the above, unless you intend on eating that peel do not weigh it.
    If someone is on a 250 a day deficit, not weighing fruits and vegetables can be a problem.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    when you weigh a banana to work out its calories do you weigh it with skin on or peel it first then weigh it?

Only weigh what you will eat, so yes peel it, same with apples and stuff like that, if you don't eat the peel then peel it first, core it too... and with meat, remove the bone and fat then weigh it...
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I actually don't do whole fruits by weight. Medium Banana - close enough. Like an apple - is there anyone who would actually take the time to weigh an apple, eat it, then weigh the core, then do math? Yeef ..
    I don't know, but there's at least one person who quarters them, cuts off the seeds, and weighs what he's going to eat. I also take grapes off the stem before I weigh them.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,429 Member
    Options

I do that with whole fruit, like if I take an apple in my lunch. But at home I prefer to core/slice it up, then I do weigh the slices. Also, I tend to buy apples in 3lb bags (I have 4 kids too!) and all the apples tend be be closely sized, so even if I don't core it, I can use that weight for a whole apple from the same batch. If anything, that overestimates then as for some reason, I don't eat as close to the core as the little gadget cuts.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I would never weigh banana. I don't want to trade one mental illness (my former eating disorder) for another: OCD.
  • sullus
    Options

I don't know, but there's at least one person who quarters them, cuts off the seeds, and weighs what he's going to eat. I also take grapes off the stem before I weigh them.

I can't be bothered to do that - but we all gotta do this the way that works for us.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

How do the calories found in bananas count for any more or less then the calories found in any other food? If you bother to weigh everything else why would you not weigh bananas?
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    since the price per pound is with the skin on, at the store, I would think that in the database it is the same thing. calories are based on weight with skin on, even tho you don't eat the peal.
    as an aside: Potatoes offer the choice of with or without skin. I select the without skin in database.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I can't be bothered to do that - but we all gotta do this the way that works for us.
    No one asked you to.
  • macfaydengirl
    macfaydengirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I do this... bananas and anything that I'm not eating the whole thing(a mango is about 2/3 edible by weight seriously)

Silly me... I had a mango today and freaked out at the amount of calories. I watched it, weighed it and got 490 grams, then peeled, sliced and of course discarded the pit. I had bit more wiggle room calorie wise than I thought I had!
  • JosieRawr
    Options

I take my grapes off the stem and weigh the remains (core and any unwanted peels- like mango, orange etc) when I'm done lol. If I'm unable to do this way I'll estimate, but generally I weigh everything I can. If I'm going to count it, I'm going to eat it...(not counting if not eating)