Does low carb make you lose faster?

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a trend with people who post about their weight loss stalling is that they are all on low carb diets.
    I think a large part of that is that the huge initial drop a lot of people see when they switch to low carb gives them unrealistically high expectations for the coming months. We see a lot of people here saying they've stalled when they've lost like 7 lbs in a month.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0100652
    FTA:
    Our results show that the weight loss in overweight and obese subjects with or without diabetes on isoenergetic low CHO or balanced weight loss diets was similar at 3–6 months and at 1–2 years. Thus, the weight loss is the result of a reduction in total dietary energy intake rather than manipulation of macronutrient contribution. It follows that when considering dietary strategies for weight loss, less emphasis should be placed on an ‘ideal’ macronutrient composition and more emphasis on reduction in total energy intake, as well as improvement of behavioural adherence to reduced energy intake. This will go a long way to ensure that weight loss is achieved and maintained to gain health benefits. Guidance on macronutrient composition to meet nutritional requirements and prevent disease [12]–[15] remains integral to healthy sustainable weight management.

The problem with that study is they call anything under 40% carbs "low carb". Eating a pretty aggressive deficit, that means I'd be eating up to 200g+ of carbs and being counted as low carb. The one study they considered (Lim) that considered that involved a ketogenic-level of carb restriction showed better success in terms of weight loss for the low carb dieters (although Lim itself is more focused on the notion that dietary adherence sucks for the most part and how to help improve adherence). That said, it's hard to argue with their conclusion that calorie-restriction is the most important aspect of any diet.
  • tracy_getsfit
    tracy_getsfit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I know that when I hit a plateau I go to a two weeks of 15 -20 net carbs. But normally I prefer to be around 50-60 carbs. Under 13 months I have lost 157pounds I consider that to mean it is working. I have had cheat meals...and do not gain. Because I know how to be healthy and still have fun with my food.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Don't bother. This is an old argument that gets done over and over again. Some will say it's all purely CICO and then in the next breath talk about macros and micros. They don't see the inherent contradiction that if micros and macros are important, then it can't be all about CICO only. The way most try to reconcile it is by making this silly differentiation between health and weight loss, and even that doesn't fully reconcile the contradictions.
    No. What you fail to realize is that we are talking about 2 different things that at the end of the day for our situations go hand in hand.

If I simply wanted to lose weight I would eat at a deficit, simple. I wouldn't bother with food selection or macros, if pure weight loss was my goal.

However, my goal isn't pure weight loss. It's body composition and overall health. Being stronger and seeking full vanity goals that I desire. Simple. And yes for that paying attention to macro and micronutrients are important.

You seem to think that if someone says the one thing then they say the other then they are contradicting themselves. With that said, I won't really waste my time with you because as always it will eventually turn into a conversation on how diabetes, PCOS, blah, bla, blah. Sorry boring circle with you.

I know, all those other situations and examples that don't fit into your nice little black and white world. Continue to ignore them and think that weight loss is this simple black and white situation for everyone -- or that your personal experience applies to everyone. Ignore the fact that if you lose different proportions of muscle versus fat, the number on the scale is different. Ignore complex hormonal issues, which we're only starting to scratch the surface of in research. Whatever makes you feel safe and secure regardless of the objective reality. But continue to use things like IFing yourself, which acknowledge these things. Nope, no contradiction and hypocrisy there. None at all.
    Not ignoring metabolic issues that can be addressed. Just not willing to debate with a wall who prefers to use that all as an excuse and allow everyone to play the victim. You are the queen spokeswoman for the MFP pity party. You're not worth my time or effort.

Talk about defamatory statements. Feel free to ignore my posts -- remember, you responded to me, not the other way around. But not hypocritical there either.

I'm about getting the best information to people. CICO is a great guideline, but it's not perfect nor absolute. And getting information out there to people that are frustrated to help them optimize their results is my goal. It's about working smarter, not unnecessarily harder.

What is smarter for any individual varies -- some will fare better with more carbs, some will fare better with less carbs. Protein helps maintain LBM in a deficit. If they're having trouble with a deficit, look to other issues that may impact them as there are quite a few out there. Thyroid 8% of the US population. PCOS 5-10% of the US female population. Insulin resistance over 40% of US adults at prediabetic or diabetic levels.

Those are important issue, especially because so many of them are unknown or undiagnosed. And because they often contribute to weight gain or make it difficult to lose without some adjustments to CICO, the numbers are probably even higher for those looking to lose weight.

This complicates things and makes people expand their perspectives of their nice black and white world. But, it helps people who actually have these issues to know that they aren't necessarily doing something inherently wrong. There may simply be a better system for them as individuals. They aren't necessarily lazy, not working hard or want pity parties as people like you will throw around. Why you feel the need to denigrate people is beyond me. It seems to speak to a bigger psychological issue you must have to put others down or insist that your truth is the only truth.

+1
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Yes it does if you have diabetes, insulin resistance, PCOS, etc.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I know that when I hit a plateau I go to a two weeks of 15 -20 net carbs. But normally I prefer to be around 50-60 carbs. Under 13 months I have lost 157pounds I consider that to mean it is working. I have had cheat meals...and do not gain. Because I know how to be healthy and still have fun with my food.

That’s weird, I have lost roughly 200 pounds, when I do low carb I stall out. I guess this means low carb doesn’t work.

Side note to all the people who talk about “low carb and insulin resistances.” Low carb diets cause insulin resistance in themselves. It’s called physiological insulin resistances. What happens when you don’t eat carbs for a long time? Your body adapts to the lower carb intake. Once you eat more carbs (normal intake) your body can’t handle it, it doesn’t produce enough insulin. There you are, insulin resistances due to low carb diets.
    I won’t say anything about T3, one of the most important hormones that effect metabolic rate produced in the thyroid. How low carbs also lower T3 production which slow down metabolic rate.

False. Insulin resistance is when the pancreas overproduces insulin…………..
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

That’s weird, I have lost roughly 200 pounds, when I do low carb I stall out. I guess this means low carb doesn’t work.

Side note to all the people who talk about “low carb and insulin resistances.” Low carb diets cause insulin resistance in themselves. It’s called physiological insulin resistances. What happens when you don’t eat carbs for a long time? Your body adapts to the lower carb intake. Once you eat more carbs (normal intake) your body can’t handle it, it doesn’t produce enough insulin. There you are, insulin resistances due to low carb diets.
    I won’t say anything about T3, one of the most important hormones that effect metabolic rate produced in the thyroid. How low carbs also lower T3 production which slow down metabolic rate.

:laugh: hoo boy.
  • hookilau
    Options

What came first the chicken or the egg?

Your body doesn’t produce enough insulin as before to handle the carbs so the pancreases makes more insulin than before.

In that case...
    tumblr_mcfleirpEI1qih9gi.gif
  • hookilau
    Options

Your body doesn’t produce enough insulin as before to handle the carbs so the pancreases makes more insulin than before.

In that case...
    tumblr_mcfleirpEI1qih9gi.gif

I don’t get what you’re trying to say, you’re saying if what I said is true you’d be dying?? If that’s what you’re saying, no.

Low carb diets effect the insulin receptors in the muscle. As I said previously, If you don’t eat enough carbs for a while the insulin receptors in the muscle don’t need as much insulin. You now have a lower insulin tolerance. When you eat higher amounts of carbs(go back to a moderate carb diet). Your low tolerance receptors get large amounts of glucose, which it cannot handle. You’re left with a higher glucose levels. Of course this causes the body to produce more insulin trying to lower the glucose concentration level. It can get to the point where supply and demand aren't met. Hence insulin resistances.

Have no plans to ever go back to eating more than 25g of carbs per day, so...
    Also, for those of us who are on low carb diets, this is not news. It is also not the primary mechanism for IR.
    FUD.
    I call FUD.
    and shenanigans.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    yes i seem to lose alot more weight eating low carb even when consuming the same amount of calories, not sure why.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

-pic removed-

In that case...

I don’t get what you’re trying to say, you’re saying if what I said is true you’d be dying?? If that’s what you’re saying, no.

Low carb diets effect the insulin receptors in the muscle. As I said previously, If you don’t eat enough carbs for a while the insulin receptors in the muscle don’t need as much insulin. You now have a lower insulin tolerance. When you eat higher amounts of carbs(go back to a moderate carb diet). Your low tolerance receptors get large amounts of glucose, which it cannot handle. You’re left with a higher glucose levels. Of course this causes the body to produce more insulin trying to lower the glucose concentration level. It can get to the point where supply and demand aren't met. Hence insulin resistances.

Have no plans to ever go back to eating more than 25g of carbs per day, so...
    Also, for those of us who are on low carb diets, this is not news. It is also not the primary mechanism for IR.
    FUD.
    I call FUD.
    and shenanigans.

I don’t know how you can call shenanigans on this, you even admit it. Weight loss journeys have a ton of “nevers.” As I discussed I have been doing this for a very long time. Things like, “I will never eat x again” or, “This diet isn’t hard, I’ll stick to it the rest of my life. Never go back. ”, “ill never stop exercising.” Yet all those nevers never last. We cycle through life. When I lost my weight, I said “ill never go back to the old weight.”, I even though “exercise is now a habit, I will do it for the rest of my life.” Then reality hit, life happens. Diet got bad, stopped working out. Before I knew it, I was up 50lbs. I handled it eventually, got back down.

We can’t predict the future, stuff happens. 25g is low, I am sure probably within a few months you’ll go over that. You’re never going to eat a higher carb intake? Weddings, parties, etc…? That’s an extreme claim if you put it in to context, 26g of carbs is over your “lifelong plan.” Pretty unrealistic.

What I would suggest to avoid the issues I mentioned previously. Doing something like CKD(cyclical ketogenic diet). If you really like your life style. It’s pretty simple, do the low carb 5 days a week, day 6 and 7 increase carbs, pretty much carb load. This will prevent the suppression of T3 and avoid the physiological insulin resistance. The system with most flexibility is the one that has most control.

What if someone stayed Keto but used a T3 on a regular basis to supplement?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen on the subject, low carb diets tend to improve insulin sensitivity in overweight and obese individuals by inducing weight loss. If you stick with a standard ketogenic diet at an otherwise healthy bodyweight, and particularly if you aren't active, there may be some tendency to develop physiological insulin resistance. But I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that overweight individuals who stay active and use a low carb diet to drop body fat to a healthy level are likely to develop insulin resistance. Rather, studies I've seen suggest these individuals will improve their insulin sensitivity. Possibly if you're maintaining on a SKD, but it's pretty rare to see someone using it for maintenance.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    So much non-sense in this thread.
    <clipped>
    When I did a high fat diet, I was always over my calories on very little food. Some do well on this type of diet, I do not as reasons already discussed.

Low carbers like to think that doing low carb burns more fat. Honestly it does. The fat their oxidizing is dietary fat, not body fat. In the end, it doesn’t matter. It always boils down to Calories In Versus Calories Out. No exceptions.

Ironic post is ironic. :laugh: :noway:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen on the subject, low carb diets tend to improve insulin sensitivity in overweight and obese individuals by inducing weight loss. If you stick with a standard ketogenic diet at an otherwise healthy bodyweight, and particularly if you aren't active, there may be some tendency to develop physiological insulin resistance. But I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that overweight individuals who stay active and use a low carb diet to drop body fat to a healthy level are likely to develop insulin resistance. Rather, studies I've seen suggest these individuals will improve their insulin sensitivity. Possibly if you're maintaining on a SKD, but it's pretty rare to see someone using it for maintenance.

+1