What was your "wakeup call"?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    When I realized that I had less than a year until my husband comes home, and I want to be in the best shape of my life by the time that happens :)

I have four years! But it's worth it, right? Good luck on your journey :)
  • jmariscal3
    jmariscal3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Mine was taking my first ever family photo with my then three-year-old. I looked at the photos and saw someone I did not know. She had a belly, and her face was so round my features were lost. I was always really thin, a cheerleader and beauty pageant contestant, and the girl in the photo did not look like me. Two years for my MS/P did me in. Fast food, no exercise, and she was lost. I started working out like crazy, eating way less- pretty much doing it the wrong way. I am still 30 pounds away from goal. I have tried numerous things and failed, but I won't quit because I know she is in there somewhere!
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Buying 38" waist jeans. That was when I decided that enough was enough. I still have them now that I need a belt to keep my 32" waist jeans from falling down!
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Being told 1 month after my 32nd birthday that I was a diabetic. With 2 young kids at home I said enough and did this. Now off of Diabetes and Cholesterol meds and working on getting rid of my blood pressure and Acid Relux meds!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Buying 38" waist jeans. That was when I decided that enough was enough. I still have them now that I need a belt to keep my 32" waist jeans from falling down!

Right there with ya brother!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Right there with ya brother!

I kept one XL dress shirt and pair of 40 Dress pants and some old work uniforms. I'll put them on from time to time just for kicks lol.
  • superjules17
    superjules17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Asking a friend to take a photo of me for a book I'd co-written and rejecting every one because I looked so fat in them. Took me a while to realise the photos were a faithful representation of the person I was and who was fat. I submitted a photo that is 5 years out of date and hit the gym.
  • FattyInDenial
    FattyInDenial Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not being able to fit into my favourite pair of jeans anymore.

Time to do some work, lol.
  • missy5290
    missy5290 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Getting out of the shower, looking in my mirror and I finally told myself that this was not okay. I danced up until high school and I wanted a better body and more confidence.
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Being diagnosed with pre-diabetes :sad: but in three months I have been able to significantly reduce my blood glucose from the top of the pre-diabetes range, go the bottom of the range.
  • ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101
    Options
    Me in a photo next to my cousins at 276lbs I was the smallest.....I was going to beat this no matter what it took....surgery, changing lifestyle, and lots of sweat later 133lbs...
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I started talking about getting married someday and I started browsing wedding dresses online for fun. I went straight to the plus size section and realized I would look bad no matter what kind of dress I got. I realized that I wasn't condemned to plus size clothing and for the first time in my life I wanted to discover what it was like to be fit and healthy.

Started with 60 pounds to lose, today I'm slightly over halfway there.
  • kathyrbl
    kathyrbl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Looking at a BMI chart and realizing I was one box away from being obese. This kicked me in the butt ... especially as a 10 year breast cancer survivor who knows that being overweight is a major factor to recurrence.
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    "Almost" not fitting into an amusement park ride with my kids. It was a very tight fit and I got some looks from the operator of the ride... that was it.
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Aprilfoolbride Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I was very motivated after my son was born three years ago. I have everything to live for.

Went to personal trainer who I asked frankly, "Is being fat the worst thing in the world?"
    "No," she said. "It's okay to be fat. But just not so fat."
    She showed me how if I could move from Obese 3 (morbidly obese) to Obese 1 (where I am now), it would reduce my risk of heart disease, cancers, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, stroke, etc, and add on a good 10 years to my life. And that it would be the difference between seeing my son graduate high school and dancing at his wedding.

I chose wedding.