Water or Soda? which do you drink?

Options

Replies

• whipsmart10014
    Options
    Try La Croix water. Its carbonated, comes in various flavors, but doesn't have any calories, artificial sweeteners, or sodium.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Tea in the morning, water during the day, a diet soda as a treat. I filter my water to make it taste better. Maybe a beer once a week.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I pretty much live on Coke Zero. I can't stand water, hate the 'taste', and like you I feel almost like it's choking me in a way, I will literally gag if I try to drink a cup too quickly. I'm losing weight just fine on one or two cups of water a day, sometimes none, and soda the rest of the time; yet at the same time, I wouldn't recommend that to anyone, because drinking water is so good for you and I leave myself dehydrated due to how little I drink, I am fully aware that I really need to take in more water, I just cannot bear the stuff!
  • HazelMayes
    HazelMayes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I mostly drink ice cold water with lemon. I usually have a cup of coffee or two in the mornings. Sometimes I have unsweetened tea with lemon (I do NOT like sweetened tea. At all. The only time I sweeten my tea is if it does not taste good but I'm thirsty and it's all I have LOL). Soda is an occasional thing for me--I do like it but I drink the regular stuff. Artificial sweeteners make me ill--the older I get, the worse my reaction is. I can't even chew gum because of the artificial sweeteners in it :\
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Looking to kick soda? Do what I did...First go from regular soda to diet soda (truly bad because the diet soda slows your metabolism).

Then go from diet soda to essence flavored seltzer. READ THE LABEL! Make sure there are only two ingredients: Carbonated Water and Natural Flavor. No sugar, no sweeteners.

Then go to straight seltzer (Carbonated Water Only)

Then go to water only. This is best for your body.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I have been told, "Don't drink soda, drink water its better for you." So that is why I tried just water to see what the outcome would be. I'm glad I did that experiment.

Who told you that?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    One can of diet soda with dinner (unless I eat out or am stressed at work and need the caffeine), water the rest of the time
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I drink flavored water throughout the day. Usually flavored with blue hawaiian punch or crystal light packets. Also drink a lot of green tea with mango. I have one , sometimes two diet sodas a day though. I used to be able to drink a 2 liter of regular cherry coke in one sitting! Now I'm down to one or two cherry coke zeros or diet cherry vanilla dr peppers.
  • megaen29
    megaen29 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I only drink plain water. I can't stand carbonation or the fake sweet taste of soda. I get my taste fix from food. I also don't like artificial sweeteners to put in my water either. If I can't pronounce the ingredients I don't use it. A little fruit in the water is a good idea though!
  • jjdiggy
    jjdiggy Posts: 172
    Options
    I had Diet Coke the other day for the first time in 3 months. Safe to say I didn't enjoy it as much as I used to.

Either water or tea for me now. Flavored water is my substitute for juice.
  • angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've always drank ALOT of diet coke... that being said when I started myfitnesspal I also started a couple of 21 day challenges one of which didn't allow soda. I drink Water,flavored water, and diet tea. I feel Soooo much better than I ever have before and the pounds are melting off. 19lbs in 65 days :)
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I prefer water because it's free and I sweat a lot at work so its important for me to stay hydrated. I also drink a lot of other things such as diet sodas, low calorie gatorade, juices, wine, beer, tea, coffee, milk, hot chocolate, etc. If you take in fewer calories than you need, your body will use your fat for energy and you will lose weight. It doesn't matter what you drink as long as it fits your calorie and macro nutrient goals. Diet sodas have no calories therefor they won't make you gain weight. And it's a myth that the water in soda doesn't count toward your water intake. You body will do the same thing with water whether it's mixed with carbonation, food coloring, sweeteners, and flavor or if it's just plain old water. Your stomach doesn't know the difference, it breaks everything down into it's various individual parts. Caffeine is a diuretic so it can dehydrate you though. . . so it's probably a good idea to drink non-caffeinated beverages as well.
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I probably drink 1-2 gallons of water a day along with some coffee and tea.
    If I want something sweet and fizzy I Ice flavored waters:)
  • MichaelDByers
    Options
    I'm the same way. I drink a LOT of diet soda's throughout the day. I've never been a coffee guy. As for your weight loss, congrats and keep up the good work!
  • jjdiggy
    jjdiggy Posts: 172
    Options
    I read somewhere that soda, such as Cola is only a temporary fix for dehydration meaning it actually leaves you feeling MORE thirsty than before.

Water has literally changed me. My skin is clearing up, and I feel MUCH more healthier. I feel a lot better in myself too, it's great.

Water over soda (or any drink for that matter) any day, be it flavored or not.
  • arayatac
    arayatac Posts: 3
    Options
    water definitely, i haven't had soda in over 2 weeks and I already feel healthier.
  • summer92008
    summer92008 Posts: 202
    Options
    I haven't had soda (or where I live we call it pop) since the 8th of May, I think. I know it was the beginning of May. I mainly stopped drinking it because it was causing me to get cavities. I craved it for a while but I sucked it up and stuck with water. I haven't had any since and the craving for it are long gone. Your body hasn't gone long enough without it to forget about it yet, so give your body time. It will adjust, and soon you won't crave or even miss pop.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I drink both, but I drink more water than soda. I only drink diet and I have maybe a can of soda a day, if that.
    My husband is a big soda drinker, and part of the reason I don't drink much soda is because of the added expense and because I'd have to go to the store more often than I already do to get more soda. I like soda, but not so much that I'd find it worthwhile to put up with all of that.

I like having a soda in the afternoon, about when it's the hottest outside. A super cold can of crisp diet coke is hard to resist.

I prefer coffee over both water and soda, though. I drink a lot of coffee, avg about a 12-cup pot a day.
  • PeanutButterByTheSpoon
    Options
    Water. I know you are gonna hate me. But I hate soda. Its just i hate the carbonation in it. I don't know why. Its just not yummy to me....
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,159 Member
    Options
    I was drinking 4-5 16 oz Coke and Pepsis a day until I lowered, then stopped them a year ago in February. I was then drinking one Diet Sprite a day until I stopped those, mostly to say I gave up soda. I drink water but have also learned to like flavored seltzers. I bought a Soda Stream so I can also make my own and love doing that. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, but right now I like being "soda free" - I can see going back to the diet Sprite but I went a bit crazy with the regular Coke/Pepsi ones and don't want to do that again. I really don't miss it anyway.