It's MFP and the "F" is awesome!

It's MFP and the "F" is awesome!

Everybody does things their own way. I get that; we are a diverse lot.

MFP is like the United Nations of various: IFFYM adherents, Sugar Nazis, Beachbody hucksters, "Pass/Hug/Spank/Merry" aficionados, People who lift serious Iron, People who move their A55, and people who eat low calories and don't exercise, Kitten Gif evangelists, Whiners, Cajolers, Advice givers with various fuse lengths, Noobs, Derps, Hall Monitors types, shameless flirters, Rah Rah helpers, Diary Voyeurs, Clean Eating people, Low Carb promoters, Calorie In vs. Calorie out drum bangers, People (like me) who can't stand the misuse of "lose" vs. "loose", sociopaths of garden varieties, and thousands of "Special Snowflakes".

The "F" is one of my favorites

I am an average middle-aged guy. I have about 40 lbs to lose, have a waistline that is 40", I am about 29% BF. I could run a 5K, but it would take me over 40 minutes. However I just realized something.

Working out - Exericse - Is fun!

It is not a "cross to bear" an "obligation" or a "burden". It has become fun. I like running on trails, I like picking up iron things, I like doing ab exercises to a video, I love looking at fitness blender for ideas, I am in a pushup challenge, a MYA group, a "Three things" group, and a running group.

I am actually planning my days NOT around food, but now around Exercise

This is a "lifestyle" and a journey. I really don't give a rip about how fast I lose. I probably will attain my goal weight a year from now or more. I am steadily losing netting between 1600 and 2100 calories per day. But I know one thing..

I will be Fitter

Looking forward to hearing from other people who feel lucky about geting to workout instead of "whining" about it :drinker: :smile:

** Of course I am sensitive to people who have chronic conditions and disabilities which prevent traditional exercise.

Replies

• Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    bump
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Cheers man that is definitely a good headspace to be in and it uas great that you have discovered exercise to be fun for you.

I enjoy being fit and I like hiking in the mountains but hiking isn't something I can do after work so for that I do work out videos. Honestly most times to me it still feels like a chore though so I haven't found that mix of weekday convenience and enjoyment.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    :drinker:

For me it's a stress reliever. I just get lost in my thoughts during cardio and I feel a lot better mentally.

Saying that I now realize I would be a lot better off turning to exercise instead of food when my emotions get the best of me.
  • Chevy_Quest
    definitely a good headspace to be in

@aaron - This is definitely the term. I realized my "head" is starting to look at things differently - Cheers!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Saying that I now realize I would be a lot better off turning to exercise instead of food when my emotions get the best of me.
    @jkal1979 - that is right on. If this was me a year ago- I would have gone on a Burger King Dairy Queen binge if I was bored. The exercise clears my head! :smile:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Well you managed to get just about everybody in there, but I think you left out us sarcastic folks :angry: :grumble: :laugh:

I enjoy the feeling of being stronger. I feel more safe and secure. As strange as that may sound. I also like the challenge of seeing how much further I can push myself. I hope at some point I can be more motivated by the fitness rather than the scale, but I still have a long way to go. I would be thrilled to get back where I was years ago. Still considered overweight, but fitting into a size 5/6. It was pretty cool.

It helps to have motivating people around though. :flowerforyou:
  • Chevy_Quest
    @nutmegero
    Well you managed to get just about everybody in there, but I think you left out us sarcastic folks :angry: :grumble: :laugh:
    I knew I forgot one group LOL!:laugh:
    I also like the challenge of seeing how much further I can push myself.
    When that feeling "drowns out" my scale angst - I know something is happening - It doesn't happen every day for me.. but I like it!:drinker:
  • Chevy_Quest
    shameless bump.. but I just got out of the Gym.. My T-Shirt is soaked through, My hair is matted down and I feel great! :drinker:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Different-faces-of-doing-exercise-and-not-doing-it-at-all.gif
  • Chevy_Quest

@Shadow - This is the best! :drinker:
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Yep honestly it's becoming a problem because even on my rest days I just "have" to get my 2hour brisk walk in or I feel like crap. And man my bunions hurt. sometimes XD. It's annoying though cos im just marking time with the weight lifting though. I've kind of hit my strength peaks for the amount of muscle mass I have so I wont get much stronger till I've finished losing the weight and do my first bulk. Which is kinda sucky. Still I got pretty damn far. In the time i've been dieting I got my bench press from 10 kilos to 35 kilos on a 10r/3set and seen similar improvement all round. Always sucks to hit a wall tho hehe.
  • Chevy_Quest
    In the time i've been dieting I got my bench press from 10 kilos to 35 kilos on a 10r/3set and seen similar improvement all round. Always sucks to hit a wall tho hehe.

@RH - That is so impressive that your bench has grown even while losing weight - That is really cool! :smile:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Feel free to add me. I'm less of a "running" type fit person and more of a "fast-walk-the-dogs and swim and pick up heavy things and put them back down and zumba and swing dance" kind of fit person. I need to be more consistent with all of the above, for sure.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Feel free to add me. I'm less of a "running" type fit person and more of a "fast-walk-the-dogs and swim and pick up heavy things and put them back down and zumba and swing dance" kind of fit person. I need to be more consistent with all of the above, for sure.

Thanks - request sent! :smile:
  • Chevy_Quest
    bump
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member

I love this!
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    You can add me. I'm addicted to roller derby, which is quite a workout in itself. I also just started 30 day shred, and the couch to 5 k, and a lifting regimen and I like to do yoga on Thursdays and Saturdays.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member

exactly. :)

loving this thread!!!
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Love your post! Well said, I too feel so much better after I exercise! I would like to work on becoming a runner, but right now I'm doing brisk walking, elliptical, stationary bike and strength training (all of which I've learned to love :-)). I'm going to send you a FR as I would love to work towards running a 5k...one of my goals in the next year or so and maybe I can get some tips from you.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Love your post! Well said, I too feel so much better after I exercise! I would like to work on becoming a runner, but right now I'm doing brisk walking, elliptical, stationary bike and strength training (all of which I've learned to love :-)). I'm going to send you a FR as I would love to work towards running a 5k...one of my goals in the next year or so and maybe I can get some tips from you.

@KBeardmore - Getting to a 5K is my goal later this year or early next year. .. FR Req sent. :-)