It's MFP and the "F" is awesome!

Replies

• TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Well, since we are already Friends - I already know how awesome you are.

I do need your motivation for exercise!!

My favorite F word is a bit different........It's Free shoes!! LOL :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for all your support. You rock :drinker:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Saying that I now realize I would be a lot better off turning to exercise instead of food when my emotions get the best of me.

So much this. It's weird because I know that I enjoy exercise when I do it regularly (especially activities that I actually like, like running and biking), and that it's great for stress and makes me a happier person overall. Yet once I stop doing it regularly and start getting out of shape that knowledge becomes just theoretical and somehow loses its motivating force, and I'll have crazy thoughts like "I can't exercise, I'm too stressed, I need to relax and eat a donut" or the like. Yet every single time I go do something active instead it makes me feel so much better. It's like there's a block that develops, or sloth-induced amnesia.

Luckily I've now gotten back in the exercise habit so I do find myself wanting to exercise regularly, missing it when I don't, and being more apt to turn to it as a stress-release, but I can't say my first impulse to go for the easier option is really gone. I'm sure it will always be something of a mental game.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    My favorite F word is a bit different........It's Free shoes!! LOL :laugh: :laugh:

@Rhon - Thanks so much! :drinker: Free Shoes That is just so classic - I am almost tempted to find a "Kitten in Shoe" gif... but I will restrain myself :laugh:
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Glad you're loving the "F." I for one have always enjoyed fitness and the good it does my body. Long time runner, and pretty new weight lifter. I see it as the fountain of youth. It allows me to eat more-yay, sleep better-like a rock, helps with mobility in everyday tasks, and gives me a grip of energy. It's really a win-win.
    I too pick my WO either from Fitnessblender or bodyrock the night before, and now that I have a fitbit, I'm even more obnoxious, lol
  • Chevy_Quest
    Saying that I now realize I would be a lot better off turning to exercise instead of food when my emotions get the best of me.
    It's like there's a block that develops, or sloth-induced amnesia. ......

--- I'm sure it will always be something of a mental game.

@lemurcat12 - That is right on - sloth-induced amnesia - It is like before I knew in "abstract" that exercise was good.. but I would polish off a whole pizza and chow on some oreos thinking 'Oh, I am too tired to workout.. ".
    It is that mental game! :smile:
  • Chevy_Quest
    and now that I have a fitbit, I'm even more obnoxious, lol

@kimberly - Oh.. I have to bite my tongue because I want to yell at the world how much I dig my fitbit... but then i don't want to hang out in a straightjacket :smile:

Carry On! :smile:
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Excellent OP. I've found as I get closer to my final goal weight that it matters less and less. I'm not nearly as proud of the number on the scale as I am of how much my body can do that it could never do before thanks to walking, running, HIIT and weights. And I'm with you* in thinking that any new changes that happen can happen as slowly or as quickly as they like, because I'm going to be consistent, be happy, enjoy excessive food and drink on occasion without guilt, and keep moving forward. It's stopped being a goal-oriented process and started being just life.

*I'm also with you on the "loose/lose" thing but it's a loosing proposition...ba dum ching.
  • Chevy_Quest
    It's stopped being a goal-oriented process and started being just life.

@knitapeace - I feel like a "prospector" mining all these gems and nuggets of awesome quotes - Well put!
    *I'm also with you on the "loose/lose" thing but it's a loosing proposition...ba dum ching.

Yes - and I understand that you will "be here the whole week" ---**tips waitress on way out**
  • stacynoell
    stacynoell Posts: 41 Member
    I swim 3 times a week with a group of older ladies who crack me up with their stories. Today I realized the class was over and we all stayed in the pool 35 extra minutes chatting and still doing aerobics. It can be fun. I also dance 3 times a week and lift weights 2 X. Lifting is a chore, but a necessary one....Keep up the good attitude! :happy:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I hope at some point I can be more motivated by the fitness rather than the scale, but I still have a long way to go.

This is my goal too. One of the reasons I wanted to work on fitness as soon as I could and started with a bunch of fitness goals, as well as a weight loss one, is that I don't want to get too focused on watching the scale move. I mean, if it wasn't I'd reevaluate my approach, but we all know that on a weekly level it does what it does sometimes, and overweight people (meaning me) can often get kind of defeatist or superstitious and worry that it won't work for them. So I decided that I would pick something I could control much more certainly--moving more and getting into better shape--and then whatever happened I'd know I was accomplishing something and getting healthier. I don't honestly know what I would have done if the scale had disappointed me, but this allowed me to obsess somewhat less about the scale and made it easier to see it just as data points.
  • RebeccaP1972
    RebeccaP1972 Posts: 101 Member
    I have been on the "better eating" thing for a while now but just started the F part of MFP. The more I work out the better I like it. (I'm totally with you on the lose/loose thing... drives me insane!!)
  • Chevy_Quest
    I swim 3 times a week with a group of older ladies who crack me up with their stories. Today I realized the class was over and we all stayed in the pool 35 extra minutes chatting and still doing aerobics. It can be fun. I also dance 3 times a week and lift weights 2 X. Lifting is a chore, but a necessary one....Keep up the good attitude! :happy:

@Stacy - That was like when I used to do an exercise class back in the nineties. About 8 of us would hang out and we all became friends. What is great about fitness friends is that they don't care about how much money you make, The house you have, the car you drive.. just the common goals of just trying to get more fit!
  • Chevy_Quest
    but this allowed me to obsess somewhat less about the scale and made it easier to see it just as data points.

@lemur - The data points thing is right on. I have an MFP friend and he posts the coolest graphs and they really show that "slow and steady" works and that being consistent is the key no matter what the scale says.

It is the long term "process" vs. the "quick results"

Great Job! :smile:
  • Chevy_Quest
    I have been on the "better eating" thing for a while now but just started the F part of MFP. The more I work out the better I like it. (I'm totally with you on the lose/loose thing... drives me insane!!)

@RebeccaP - Yes - Hooray for the "F" :smile:
    And I am so happy that there are others that get incensed about the lose/loose thing. There are standards! :drinker:
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    I love my exercise regime, I ride my bike to the beach 10 mile round trip. Then I go snorkeling while I'm there, swimming about a mile. I also started practicing Qi Gong again which is like Thai Chi. On days that I don't get my exercise, fresh air and sunshine I usually get the blues. My personality type: Weight loss/Healthy food/ self improvement Guru (wanna be) haha, but that's who I am, and I want to help anyone who will listen.

Lose a pound, then lock it down!
    Chef Steve
  • Chevy_Quest
    Lose a pound, then lock it down!
    Chef Steve

@Chef - Love the quote - Sending an FR
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

@Rhon - Thanks so much! :drinker: Free Shoes That is just so classic - I am almost tempted to find a "Kitten in Shoe" gif... but I will restrain myself :laugh:

I'll do it, because I am procrastinating on what I should be doing. Plus, the dogs have already been represented in this thread.

FunnyAnimalslolFunnyKittenCaptai-5_zpsa55758ea.gif

Edited: because the other one was seriously ugly, which is sad for a kitten picture.
  • Chevy_Quest
    I'll do it, because I am procrastinating on what I should be doing. Plus, the dogs have already been represented in this thread.

[picture of awesome kitten shoe themed

Edited: because the other one was seriously ugly, which is sad for a kitten picture.

@nutmegero - You are too kind - Now this thread is complete as it has {{dramatic music}} a kitten gif! :drinker:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

[picture of awesome kitten shoe themed

@nutmegero - You are too kind - Now this thread is complete as it has {{dramatic music}} a kitten gif! :drinker:

If you want an actual kitten with shoe gif:

009-funny-animal-gifs-cat-attacks-shoe_zpsc742f453.gif

But that takes us away from your OP, which is that feeling better, getting stronger, and being fit is a really cool final outcome and that the scale weight should take a lesser importance over the other benefits. :flowerforyou:
  • Chevy_Quest
    If you want an actual kitten with shoe gif:

nice gif! [i-m-g]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/nutmegoreo/009-funny-animal-gifs-cat-attacks-shoe_zpsc742f453.gif[/img]

But that takes us away from your OP, which is that feeling better, getting stronger, and being fit is a really cool final outcome and that the scale weight should take a lesser importance over the other benefits. :flowerforyou:

@nutmegero - On the contrary - Kitten Gifs are very important. This is MFP after all LOL :drinker: :flowerforyou: :smile: