Anyone successful using MyFitnessPal?

Options
I have been using my fitness pal for 24 days straight now and not lost any weight. This is the fourth time I have used this program because I can't afford to use ww or other paid weight loss programs.

Has anyone been successful? Do you use this program as a journal for simply tracking your food? Or do you totally rely on watching how much protein, fat, sugars etc you take?

Thoughts?

Have a great day

Replies

• EvaiTryst
    EvaiTryst Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    There has been a lot of success here. When I started my journey I used MFP and what I have found over the last two years I've been here is that it all depends on me. Logging my food has made me more aware of what I put in my mouth but in the end it is my decision what I eat and how much exercise I get. If you haven't had any success than I ask you this....

What is your calories intake?
    Are you exercising?
    What are you focusing on?

It's involved... the program doesn't do it for you.
  • Numb5kull
    Numb5kull Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    That was a little bit harsh.

But yes based on the stories and discussion here there are lots of people with great success. Nothing comes easy and its all about hard work and discipline. My major take from MFP (only a week in so far) is the great community and the tremendous support offered by it.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    No, no one ever has succeeded on here and that's why myfitnesspal is not popular at all.
  • Kayla_Ann_20
    Options
    I've been a little frustrated myself but even if I don't lose any actual weight, I feel so much better knowing that I am changing, even a little bit, for the better. Keep pushing and try mixing up your schedule or exercise. You're gonna do great! Don't give up!
  • Leggylass
    Leggylass Posts: 215
    Options
    Its worked for me , but i had to stop eating junk food.. i couldn't just eat anything i wanted.. i had to change my eating habits to healthier choices.

You get a lot of info and support from people on here too... read read read until it sinks in.

feel free to add me.
  • teresaingebrigtsen
    teresaingebrigtsen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was kind of a scathing response to a simple question, uncalled for I would say.

I use MFP to keep track of exercise, calories in vs calories out. It's a great tool. I try to keep track of protien and carbs, but I usually just do calories in vs out. Good luck with your journey.
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool so whether or not you lose weight depends on how you use the tool. Hundreds of folks are using this tool and have been successful in losing weight....myself included.

Are you weighing your food to ensure you log your calories accurately? Are you ensuring you don't consistently go over your daily targets? Is your weight loss expectation a reasonable one. Remember the tool can only return data based on your input.

Go to the Community tab, click on Home then check out the Success Stories.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I have been very successful using MFP. I have lost 53+lbs (from 232 to current weight of 179ish) in the last 18 months I have been an active member of MFP.

But it's more than just logging in... It's about honestly and accurately logging ALL my food, learning to make better food choices so I can get the most "bang for the buck" while staying within my daily calorie goal. It's about setting realistic goals and following through with a long-term sustainable plan of action.

Since this isn't your first rodeo, I would suggest that you take a close look at exactly WHY you didn't find success during your previous attempts and develop a plan to eliminate the factors that contributed to your lack of success. The following links may provide some insight and very valuable suggestions.

Good luck.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • teresaingebrigtsen
    teresaingebrigtsen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No, no one ever has succeeded on here and that's why myfitnesspal is not popular at all.

What is wrong with the male species? Grow up guys.
  • colonelkorndog
    Options
    Last year, I lost 44 lbs. I then had a knee replaced and while confelesing put most of it back on. S Here I am going for 50 lbs this time! Stay with it, if you are honest with yourself, and really commit, it works!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Way to insult an entire gender based on 1 or 2 responses.

ETA: OP, I posted the link to the success stories section of the MFP forums. You'll find many stories of people who found success using the tool to track their intake, macros, and such.

And here's a link with a lot of great info and advice:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Way to insult an entire gender based on 1 or 2 responses.

ETA: OP, I posted the link to the success stories section of the MFP forums. You'll find many stories of people who found success using the tool to track their intake, macros, and such.
    Maybe she should take her own advice.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options

lol. Right. I defer to the other posters here. ;-)
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool so whether or not you lose weight depends on how you use the tool. Hundreds of folks are using this tool and have been successful in losing weight....myself included.

Are you weighing your food to ensure you log your calories accurately? Are you ensuring you don't consistently go over your daily targets? Is your weight loss expectation a reasonable one. Remember the tool can only return data based on your input.

Go to the Community tab, click on Home then check out the Success Stories.

Agreed!
  • missylee117
    missylee117 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Ive been using it for about a year and a half, and look at me now! We all start out slowly and as you count those calories and burn them off you will also lose too. BUT you have to work on it, on yourself, you cannot lose if you don't try, put it this way did you TRY to gain weight? Probably not, so you have to TRY to lose it..............work it and keep it real and you too will get there, its free and costs nothing but you being honest with yourself.
    Many have succeeded, will you be the next one in a year from now? I hope so...................
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Species? Um. Okay then. *tries X-men powers, fails, sulks*

OP. Of course there are plenty of successful people using MFP. It takes weighing and measuring your food and being honest with yourself. I strongly suggest you take a good long look in the mirror and figure out if you want to succeed or not.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have tried for YEARS to lose weight and have not been successful at it. In April, after I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes, I tmade three major changes: I started taking metformin to treat my illness, I started exercising, and I began logging in on MFP. While trying to make the meals I enjoyed "fit" the program was a pain, it became sort of a puzzle, too, and I enjoy puzzles. The weight began to fall off, slowly but surely, and now I am 15 pounds away from the goal my doctor set for me. When I reach that goal I'll keep going, since I'll be about halfway to the goal that I set for myself. Either way I do it, I've already lost 27 pounds, weigh what I did 10 years ago, and feel *so* much better already. That's success, no matter how you slice it!

Good luck!
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure you:
    -Get an accurate calorie count of foods. Seasonings, condiments, and cooking oils count. Weigh/measure your food; don't eyeball it. People think they're eating one portion but it turns out that they're really eating 2-3.
    -Do not eat back all of your exercise calories. With underestimations in food and overestimations in burns, you will go over if you eat them all back. It's okay to have calories remaining at the end of the day, but calories eaten should not go below 1200. If you must eat back exercise calories, only eat back up to half of them.
    -Log your drinks... those calories add up quickly! Allow one or two non-water drinks per day. It's difficult at first (I cut out soda for New Year's 2013 and the first two weeks were miserable) but you will get used to it and each day gets easier once you get past the first week.
    -Do an 80/20 regular diet instead of having cheat days. Going over on holidays is fine (special occasions that only make up a few days out of the year), but no binge days or you'll cancel out your deficit for the week. Don't deprive yourself of the foods you enjoy, but have a small portion; son't go crazy. it's not a "diet" it's a lifestyle change and needs to be something you can maintain even after you reach your goal or you'll binge and gain it back (and sometimes more than you originally lost, which is really sad).