HOW LONG DO YOU DO CARDIO?

Options
Pretty self explanatory...How long do you do cardio for a day?

I've been an avid gym go-er for about a year now, and I'm pretty sure I have it down, but I wanted to hear your routine and advice.

On average, I'm in the gym for about 1 1/2 hours. I do my target areas first, then end with a little cardio. (20-35 mins)
Back in the day, I used to start with cardio and do about an hour on a machine; it kicked my *kitten* and it honestly didn't work. Finding the happy medium is very important.

What works for you? Do you put more emphasis on cardio?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm trying to do.

Swimming? 30-60 minutes.
    Bike? 30-180 minutes
    Run? 40-60 minutes

I'm training for a tri, so I have to put emphasis on cardio. Granted, days I'm with my strength coach, I don't do cardio before or after.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    20-35 minutes.
  • herewego85
    herewego85 Posts: 76
    Options
    I usually do 45-60 minutes a day. I just stared really exercising about a month ago. I am not really into strength training yet.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    4 days a week for an hour in classes i take 2 days a week walking about 30 minutes and one day off :)
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    What's a cardio?
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Probably average an hour day, split mainly between swimming, running and cycling
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I probably average about 5 hours of lifting and 2 hours of cardio per week.
  • Chibukalu908
    Chibukalu908 Posts: 212
    Options
    an hour on avarage
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    besides walking which is part of my job and a few days a week i go for long walks recreationally

I do 3-4 days a week at the gym now, 60mins a time usually split 30mins of cardio and 30mins of resistance training.
    fav. Cardio is the Expresso Bike http://www.expresso.net/ that gives me the biggest burns of any exercise now
    I also do jogging on treadmill, static rower, cross trainer and the app 7 minute which is a circuit training app.
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm like the others, I do about an our a day. I try to do 15 minutes on an elliptical machine during my morning and afternoon breaks. Then I usually do 20 minutes on an exercise bike before I eat lunch. I warm up for five minutes, then sprint for thirty seconds and do nine seconds of cool down. I do that five times and then cool down on the last five minutes.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    20-30 min if its HIIT

45-60 min of traditional cardio

^^same...my 'traditional' is power-walking, which can go on for over an hour...more of a mileage thing"
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I do about 2 hours heavy lifting, 2.5 hours pilates and about 2 30minute spin sessions.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    10-15 min HIIT on treadmill 2-3 x a week
    45 min treadmill 1 x a week
    also do TRX & yoga
  • angiepangie43
    angiepangie43 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do 1 hour of cardio 3 days a week. 2 hours of cardio on Sat. and I generally do two yoga classes during the week also.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Lost 61lbs so far.

And not a single day of cardio was done.
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I generally do around 45 min of cardio five times a week. I also walk some but don't normally record that as exercise since it does not get my heart rate up much. My weight training is spotty at best and consists of body weight moves that I can do without equipment.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't do cardio for weight loss either, I do it to increase my athletic endurance.

Cool.
  • 2_FitNFab
    2_FitNFab Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I do combination cardio, strength, and circuit training. I've lost over 45lbs and do between one~ two hours 6 days a week. Depending on the activity.