HOW LONG DO YOU DO CARDIO?

Options

Replies

• Pathend2
    Pathend2 Posts: 142
    Options
    Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do 10 minutes of cardio then alternate weightlifting. Tuesday and Thursday I do about 30 minutes of cardio with no weights. Typically I run on a treadmill at 6-7 mph, so my 10 minutes equates to a mile a day. On the Ts, I'll alternate between the resistance bike and the treadmill running at 7 mph for 4 minutes, then walk for 4 minutes for 30 minutes to hit that target BPM for fat burning.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Generally I get on the elliptical for 65 minutes and then get on the bike for 10 minutes

or

I do the C25K(running) for 30 minutes and then the elliptical for 35 minutes and the bike for 10 minutes

Either way, I generally do about 70-90 minutes of cardio at the gym every day or, from time to time, I go on a long walk to burn calories.
  • hyperchase
    hyperchase Posts: 13
    Options
    25 minutes of HiiT cardio 6 times a week.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i only do cardio on cardio days (2-3 times a week) and i do it for 60 minutes. because i hate doing it, it's usually a mix of different things like running on the track, versa climber, swimming, rowing, jump rope . i wish my gym had a heavy bag :cry:

ETA . like another posters, i dont look to any of my workouts specifically for weight loss. i work out to improve athletic performance, get stronger so i can start competing next year and improve my endurance for running 10ks
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I try to get in cardio everyday at least once or twice... once in the morning before work... (stationary bike) 45minutes to an hour.
    then instead of just sitting around watching tv I will often ride my stationary bike....

the reason I got fat was because I got lazy.... so I'm not letting myself because lazy again....

I don't normally do cardio at the gym...gym is for lifting...
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by your target areas? I ask because you cannot spot reduce.

I hatehatehate cardio. I call it the hamster wheel or the dreadmill. Horrible contraptions.

I lift weights 2x/week, so a HIIT class 1x/week, and a PRIMAL class 1x/week (basically go to the park and run and climb and play for 2 hours). I move more overall & I work in my yard. So to answer your question, I do absolutely zero steady state cardio.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Usually 30 minutes 2-3 times per week, although lately I've been avoiding it. I strength train 3 times a week for 30-40 minutes. Once a week, the family and I go hiking or something else outside and physical.
  • bubbly_charm2k9
    bubbly_charm2k9 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    60 - 80 minutes A DAY :smile:

65725604.png
  • LanceKarcher
    LanceKarcher Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Pretty self explanatory...How long do you do cardio for a day?

I've been an avid gym go-er for about a year now, and I'm pretty sure I have it down, but I wanted to hear your routine and advice.

On average, I'm in the gym for about 1 1/2 hours. I do my target areas first, then end with a little cardio. (20-35 mins)
    Back in the day, I used to start with cardio and do about an hour on a machine; it kicked my *kitten* and it honestly didn't work. Finding the happy medium is very important.

What works for you? Do you put more emphasis on cardio?

Do not really understand your post. How do you know the cardio did not work? Did it not elevate your heart rate? Our Federal government exercise guidelines recommend 120 minutes per week.
  • fjellrev
    fjellrev Posts: 5,078 Member
    Options
    Usually 60-90 minutes at the gym (elliptical and/or treadmill), or on lighter days when I just want to go for a walk, I usually go for 75-150 minutes.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Outdoor cycling 2-4.5 hrs most days, depending on weather. off days weights.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I aim for 30-60 minutes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Zero minutes. I don't do cardio.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    As little as possible.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, it really depends and varies! My goal with every workout is to work out HARD. Some days I do upwards of an hour of cardio. Other days, I may only do about 30 mins of cardio, BUT I might throw sprint intervals in to make it more intense. I also do weight training.

I also try to focus on cardio that gives me the biggest bang for my buck. Right now that's running (by a longshot!) and the stair mill. I really do need the cardio now - I was having some heart issues earlier this year & my cardiologist encouraged me to "get more active." The long cardio sessions in the last 3 months have basically stopped the issues I was having entirely - so, yeah!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I do two sessions of 30 minutes a day, noon and night. It's working fantastically. Working out usually makes me sleepy so I use it to initiate my siesta/night sleep much faster, as in deep asleep within 5 minutes.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 45 minutes to 5 hours...four to seven days a week.

My cardio is road riding.
  • LadyBaggins
    Options
    Lost 61lbs so far.

And not a single day of cardio was done.
    How was this done if I may ask?
  • LadyBaggins
    Options
    I just started going to the gym.. But for now I'm doing 20 minutes of the elliptical and burn 200 calories.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Lost 61lbs so far.

And not a single day of cardio was done.
    How was this done if I may ask?

Weight loss is mostly diet. For the first 70 or so pounds I hardly did any exercise. Now that my weight is lower and can no longer lose much on a 1800 diet, so I supplement with cardio to raise my calorie allowance and general fitness.