My 14yo daughter

Options
Is 5'9 and 1/2" tall and weighs roughly 120lbs. She is still growing and hasn't started her menses yet. She has made a conscious decision to not eat meat, but did not eliminate fish, dairy or eggs from her diet. For general health and growth, I believe she is getting sufficient protein, though obviously I am not tracking her macros.

However, she made the JV volleyball team and part of her physical training is weight based, under the supervision of two certified trainers. I guess all that prelude leads up to my question: Is there any reason she couldn't use a protein powder to increase her general intake? Obviously she is not looking to bulk, but she does want to build strength and can get frustrated with what she perceives as her general lack thereof.

Thanks

Replies

• British56
    British56 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This needs monitoring as this is exactly how eating disorders begin and having worked in that field for over 12 years have witnessed it far too often. She is already a low weight for her height.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Certainly no reason not to
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Building some muscle certainly won't hurt at that weight, and she'll gain a bit of fat along with it, and yeah a shake or two a day is fine if she's eating a varied diet otherwise.

Please do not use the word BULK in any conversation with her, ever, btw.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options
    This needs monitoring as this is exactly how eating disorders begin and having worked in that field for over 12 years have witnessed it far too often. She is already a low weight for her height.

Who the heck are you to say she is getting started on an eating disorder? She eats a wide variety of foods and has grown rapidly. BMI is calculate somewhat differently for children than for adults and her BMI is 17.7 which puts her in the 26th percentile for her height and weight. I did not say she wanted to lose weight, in fact, I said the exact opposite, in that she wants to gain muscle.

What is wrong with you?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Building some muscle certainly won't hurt at that weight, and she'll gain a bit of fat along with it, and yeah a shake or two a day is fine if she's eating a varied diet otherwise.

Please do not use the word BULK in any conversation with her, ever, btw.

I have my own weight problems, obviously, but I have been very careful not to project that onto my children, lol. They are fit, active little buggers. But thanks for your input.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    have you asked her why she chose to not eat meat? If it is for ethical reasons I would support her choice and love of animals.

Research healthy ways for her to przctice being plant based, alternate sources of proteins, and talk to her pediatrician.

She sounds slender. I would not worry to much about that yet, the onset of puberty and menstration may give her the weight she needs soon enough.

In the mean time keep peanuts and greek yogurt, nut milks enriched with proteins and calciums available to her.

If she is passionate about not eating meat for ethical reasons support her because having a passion at any age is so important.

Yes, we have discussed her reasons for not eating meat, and part of the decision making process involved research about how to eat balanced (protein mostly), while giving up mammalian meat. I am not worried about her weight, that was not the point of this post at all, lol
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Protein poeder won't hurt. If she is still eating dairy and fish along with the protein powder she should be getting enough protein.
    Just make sure she is eating enough to support her activity. Do not have her track calories though that could start eating issues( I know from experience ).
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So becoming a Vegetarian is how Eds start. Now that's a bit silly and just nonsense.

There is absolutely no reason that she wont get plenty of protein from her general diet. It is infact very difficult not to get enough protein. I was a Vegetarian from the age of 14 for 15 years and then I have been Vegan since I have never had any issues. There is huge amounts of protein scaremongering around. if you have any real worries speak to a Doctor or Dietitian.

Good natural sources of Vegetarian Protein

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/
  • scode83
    scode83 Posts: 42
    Options
    In my non-expert opinion that all sounds fine, nothing wrong at all with not wanting to eat meat - especially if she's eating a good amount of other sources. I can't see anything there that suggests the beginning of an eating disorder as that other poster strangely put it, just someone who's decided something isn't for them. As the previous poster said, just don't put it over as 'bulking' - call it 'strengthening'.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is 5'9 and 1/2" tall and weighs roughly 120lbs. She is still growing and hasn't started her menses yet. She has made a conscious decision to not eat meat, but did not eliminate fish, dairy or eggs from her diet. For general health and growth, I believe she is getting sufficient protein, though obviously I am not tracking her macros.

However, she made the JV volleyball team and part of her physical training is weight based, under the supervision of two certified trainers. I guess all that prelude leads up to my question: Is there any reason she couldn't use a protein powder to increase her general intake? Obviously she is not looking to bulk, but she does want to build strength and can get frustrated with what she perceives as her general lack thereof.

Thanks

Why 'obviously' is she trying not to bulk? Adding a bit of muscle and fat would do her no harm...
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Protein poeder won't hurt. If she is still eating dairy and fish along with the protein powder she should be getting enough protein.
    Just make sure she is eating enough to support her activity. Do not have her track calories though that could start eating issues( I know from experience ).

Oh yeah, no tracking calories. As I said, I am not tracking that stuff and neither is she.

Thanks to all the posters with helpful answers vs trying to diagnose my kid with a problem she does not have over the internet.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options

Thanks

Why 'obviously' is she trying not to bulk? Adding a bit of muscle and fat would do her no harm...

Maybe I am using the incorrect terminology here. She wants to get stronger and add muscle, I meant bulk in the sense of bodybuilding type physique, sorry.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with incorporating protein shakes or "meal replacement" drinks to help her keep up with fuel demands of a higher activity level. Of course, check with her physician and perhaps even the trainers have insight into what additional fuel needs she may need.

Tell her she's AWESOME for getting into a great sport (Some bias here-I *loved* volleyball in HS! So many good memories). It's work, she'll do great with what sounds like a great support team to help her gain strength and sportsmanship!:flowerforyou:
  • scode83
    scode83 Posts: 42
    Options

Oh yeah, no tracking calories. As I said, I am not tracking that stuff and neither is she.

Thanks to all the posters with helpful answers vs trying to diagnose my kid with a problem she does not have over the internet.

This is the drawback with forums - half the people on it are amateur doctors. I've been 'diagnosed' with an eating disorder so many times.

"Hi, I just want to ask if I sho"

"EATING DISORDER, GET HELP!"

Literally like that.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Thanks

Maybe I am using the incorrect terminology here. She wants to get stronger and add muscle, I meant bulk in the sense of bodybuilding type physique, sorry.
    Her getting bodybuilder physique isn't something y'all need to worry about.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options

Thanks

Her getting bodybuilder physique isn't something y'all need to worry about.

Well, no :laugh: