My 14yo daughter

Options

Replies

• pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This needs monitoring as this is exactly how eating disorders begin and having worked in that field for over 12 years have witnessed it far too often. She is already a low weight for her height.

Who the heck are you to say she is getting started on an eating disorder? She eats a wide variety of foods and has grown rapidly. BMI is calculate somewhat differently for children than for adults and her BMI is 17.7 which puts her in the 26th percentile for her height and weight. I did not say she wanted to lose weight, in fact, I said the exact opposite, in that she wants to gain muscle.

What is wrong with you?

I don't think there's a need to get defensive, people are just looking out for you and what a parent might not see (being too close). When my eating disorder began, at about age 12 or 13, I chose to stop eating meat so I could get out of meals. You might wanna ask her why she's making that choice, explore it.
  • scode83
    scode83 Posts: 42
    Options
    I was called anorexic

and made fun of for my "a cups" by a very overweight person

they're b cups actually and quite cute :)

Often the people making these medical judgments are the ones who are in no position to lecture. I've been told by badly over weight people that I'm too skinny. My reply is usually along the lines of if I stand next to them then between us we average out at two 'normal' sized people. I guess when someone's gut hangs out then someone who's waist stays where it's supposed to must seem skin and bones in comparison. I never like to judge others, but when they start giving out potentially damaging advice I just get infuriated.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Is 5'9 and 1/2" tall and weighs roughly 120lbs. She is still growing and hasn't started her menses yet. She has made a conscious decision to not eat meat, but did not eliminate fish, dairy or eggs from her diet. For general health and growth, I believe she is getting sufficient protein, though obviously I am not tracking her macros.

However, she made the JV volleyball team and part of her physical training is weight based, under the supervision of two certified trainers. I guess all that prelude leads up to my question: Is there any reason she couldn't use a protein powder to increase her general intake? Obviously she is not looking to bulk, but she does want to build strength and can get frustrated with what she perceives as her general lack thereof.

Thanks

Why 'obviously' is she trying not to bulk? Adding a bit of muscle and fat would do her no harm...

Maybe I am using the incorrect terminology here. She wants to get stronger and add muscle, I meant bulk in the sense of bodybuilding type physique, sorry.

I am a competitive natural female bodybuilder. I've been building a bodybuilder physique for two years now. I still don't look like a bodybuilder. Women just don't get big quick.

Extra protein in a shake form could help her recovery.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Protein poeder won't hurt. If she is still eating dairy and fish along with the protein powder she should be getting enough protein.
    Just make sure she is eating enough to support her activity. Do not have her track calories though that could start eating issues( I know from experience ).

Oh yeah, no tracking calories. As I said, I am not tracking that stuff and neither is she.

Thanks to all the posters with helpful answers vs trying to diagnose my kid with a problem she does not have over the internet.

This is the drawback with forums - half the people on it are amateur doctors. I've been 'diagnosed' with an eating disorder so many times.

"Hi, I just want to ask if I sho"

"EATING DISORDER, GET HELP!"

Literally like that.

Yeah me too, smdh. Anytime your diet is different or on the lower side people are quick to say your on the road to an eating disorder and they say I'm either going to be anorexic or I'm going to start binging. All this while not knowing anything else about me. They are doctor wanna be's and know it all's.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options
    This needs monitoring as this is exactly how eating disorders begin and having worked in that field for over 12 years have witnessed it far too often. She is already a low weight for her height.

Who the heck are you to say she is getting started on an eating disorder? She eats a wide variety of foods and has grown rapidly. BMI is calculate somewhat differently for children than for adults and her BMI is 17.7 which puts her in the 26th percentile for her height and weight. I did not say she wanted to lose weight, in fact, I said the exact opposite, in that she wants to gain muscle.

What is wrong with you?

I don't think there's a need to get defensive, people are just looking out for you and what a parent might not see (being too close). When my eating disorder began, at about age 12 or 13, I chose to stop eating meat so I could get out of meals. You might wanna ask her why she's making that choice, explore it.

It's been explored. And her not eating meat has certainly not let to her not eating meals, they're just heavier on legumes. :ohwell:
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options

what a pile of ****

I went vegetarian around the same age as OP's daughter and it was not the cause of any eating disorder

in fact it helped my previous eating disorder
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

What is wrong with you?

In a post above she's already discussed that they have talked about this.

I went vegetarian at age 13. I did not have an ED.

More protein sources

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • scode83
    scode83 Posts: 42
    Options
    Protein poeder won't hurt. If she is still eating dairy and fish along with the protein powder she should be getting enough protein.
    Just make sure she is eating enough to support her activity. Do not have her track calories though that could start eating issues( I know from experience ).

Oh yeah, no tracking calories. As I said, I am not tracking that stuff and neither is she.

Thanks to all the posters with helpful answers vs trying to diagnose my kid with a problem she does not have over the internet.

This is the drawback with forums - half the people on it are amateur doctors. I've been 'diagnosed' with an eating disorder so many times.

"Hi, I just want to ask if I sho"

"EATING DISORDER, GET HELP!"

Literally like that.

Yeah me too, smdh. Anytime your diet is different or on the lower side people are quick to say your on the road to an eating disorder and they say I'm either going to be anorexic or I'm going to start binging. All this while not knowing anything else about me. They are doctor wanna be's and know it all's.
    Yeah, these people seem to think one diet fits all and anything that isn't sticking to the old engraved in stone diet is wrong. That disclaimer at the bottom of threads should probably be placed somewhere more prominent just in case anyone does take this **** seriously.
  • baseballgirl2027
    baseballgirl2027 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse, not well-versed in pediatrics, but I thought I'd throw this out there - what about a supplemental protein shake in the form of Boost or Ensure? Sure, I mostly tout the benefits of those to my geriatric patients that aren't really eating anymore or are on a soft/pureed diet and need extra protein and/or calories, but it's a good way to supplement daily intake. A lot of my patients like to blend a chocolate Ensure or Boost with peanut butter and a banana. Meal in a cup!

I personally like Syntha-6 protein powder, or for my own weight-loss goals the GNC Lean Burn (30g protein/170cals).

I agree with some of the other posters - check with her pediatrician for the best advice. And I'm not a huge meat-eater either, although growing up in the Midwest, I can't pass up a good steak! I've never even liked eggs - I've had an aversion ever since my dad jokingly told me they were baby chickens that never had a chance. :)

Good luck to your daughter! I tried out for VB when I was in high school, but sadly, they don't really like to pick people who are 5'0. So I got into running!!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse, not well-versed in pediatrics, but I thought I'd throw this out there - what about a supplemental protein shake in the form of Boost or Ensure? Sure, I mostly tout the benefits of those to my geriatric patients that aren't really eating anymore or are on a soft/pureed diet and need extra protein and/or calories, but it's a good way to supplement daily intake. A lot of my patients like to blend a chocolate Ensure or Boost with peanut butter and a banana. Meal in a cup!

I personally like Syntha-6 protein powder, or for my own weight-loss goals the GNC Lean Burn (30g protein/170cals).

I agree with some of the other posters - check with her pediatrician for the best advice. And I'm not a huge meat-eater either, although growing up in the Midwest, I can't pass up a good steak! I've never even liked eggs - I've had an aversion ever since my dad jokingly told me they were baby chickens that never had a chance. :)

Good luck to your daughter! I tried out for VB when I was in high school, but sadly, they don't really like to pick people who are 5'0. So I got into running!!

Yeah, I was thinking of adding the protein powder to her morning smoothie. She is not a breakfast person but school puts such demands on at her age that I encourage (not force, encourage) her to at least eat yogurt and fruit, etc. She really likes smoothies, so it would be easy :)

Thanks for the input and wish me luck, I am about to graduate LPN school.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone's diagnosing anyone. I don't think there's anything wrong with monitoring a very low weight teen who's made a very adult dietary decision. I have a 14 yo daughter who's not low or high BMI and hasn't cut out food groups and I still am vigilant for any ED-type behavior.

Why would protein powder not be ok? I don't think it's any different from deciding to eat more soy or dairy or other protein rich foods. Though I guess it could be argued why don't you just get her to eat more non-meat, protein rich foods, if you don't want to go with powders?

Why not ask those certified trainers opinions, too?
  • baseballgirl2027
    baseballgirl2027 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Thanks for the input and wish me luck, I am about to graduate LPN school.

Good luck!! Way to go!!
  • eswolff
    eswolff Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't think protein shakes are the way to go. They are highly processed! Please do some research on this before giving them to your daughter. I have a couple links below, but these certainly aren't the only ones. Same goes for Boost, Ensure, etc. My friend is a pediatrician and she says that she'd rather give her kid a milkshake! You could do fruit smoothies, they are packed with calories.

If your daughter is still eating eggs, dairy, fish, nuts, beans, I think there is no reason she can't have a well-balanced diet. I know you are concerned because she is on the slender side, but turning to processed foods is not the answer.

http://www.naturallyintense.net/blog/diet/nutrition/are-protein-shakes-bad-for-you-and-do-they-work/

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11371/why-you-really-shouldnt-use-protein-powders.html
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is 5'9 and 1/2" tall and weighs roughly 120lbs. She is still growing and hasn't started her menses yet. She has made a conscious decision to not eat meat, but did not eliminate fish, dairy or eggs from her diet. For general health and growth, I believe she is getting sufficient protein, though obviously I am not tracking her macros.

However, she made the JV volleyball team and part of her physical training is weight based, under the supervision of two certified trainers. I guess all that prelude leads up to my question: Is there any reason she couldn't use a protein powder to increase her general intake? Obviously she is not looking to bulk, but she does want to build strength and can get frustrated with what she perceives as her general lack thereof.

Thanks

Why 'obviously' is she trying not to bulk? Adding a bit of muscle and fat would do her no harm...

Maybe I am using the incorrect terminology here. She wants to get stronger and add muscle, I meant bulk in the sense of bodybuilding type physique, sorry.

Just so you are aware, bulking is a term in regards to gaining weight and building muscle. It doesn't "just" pertain to bodybuilders.

If she is looking to actually build muscle or even gain weight, she's going to have to eat at a calorie surplus - basically go through a bulk.

I would research more into bulk and cut cycles so you have a better understanding of what you and your daughter are looking to accomplish.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html

Bodyrecomposition.com is a really great site with articles and studies if you want to go through them. Another good site is body-improvements.com.

There is also a group on here that has a lot of great info and links to studies in the stickies - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I see no problem at all with providing her with some protein powder. And think it's good that your willing to support her choices. :-)
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Totally agree this should be physician monitored...I amde this choice on my own when I was young and now I am 46 and have Osteoporosis.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I don't think protein shakes are the way to go. They are highly processed! Please do some research on this before giving them to your daughter. I have a couple links below, but these certainly aren't the only ones. Same goes for Boost, Ensure, etc. My friend is a pediatrician and she says that she'd rather give her kid a milkshake! You could do fruit smoothies, they are packed with calories.

If your daughter is still eating eggs, dairy, fish, nuts, beans, I think there is no reason she can't have a well-balanced diet. I know you are concerned because she is on the slender side, but turning to processed foods is not the answer.

http://www.naturallyintense.net/blog/diet/nutrition/are-protein-shakes-bad-for-you-and-do-they-work/

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11371/why-you-really-shouldnt-use-protein-powders.html

There is nothing wrong with protein powders or processed foods.

OP - you're her mom, you know what's best. Just make sure she is also getting all the calcium, vitamin d and b12 that she needs.

ETA: I think it's awesome you are supporting her and being proactive to make sure she is getting what she needs. High five to you!!!
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    yes, a protein powder should be fine however I STRONGLY recommend one that has plant based protein and no hormones as she is still prepubescent and would not want to upset them I recommend PerfectFit from toneitup.com certified organic all natural plant protein and as she is training and burning more calories I would mix them with fortied milk such as vit d and things such as a banana and some pb2
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I was always very slim (healthy) and active as a dancer. I was also a vegetarian for a long time, since the age of around 12. I'm not a vegetarian anymore, though I still don't eat a lot of meat. And I'm still a dancer.

Yes, she can use protein powder and make protein drinks. She can use whey protein. Or a vegetarian kind such as rice protein.

I'm a parent also, and I completely understand about how children have a different BMI chart than adults because they do not have the full grown bone structure that an adult has.
  • reachrenhere
    reachrenhere Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, my daughter is 17 now and my son is 21 (which is likely irrelevant) I have been adding protein powder to their breakfast smoothies for at least 2 years now. It didn't occur to me that it could be unsafe to do so. There is also no warning on the protein powder against giving it to children. There is also veggie based protein powder in case you didn't know (likely you knew that alreaedy). You're a great mom to be so supportive of your daughter's values and dreams :flowerforyou:

I also made a recipe yesterday called Adam's Special Banana Chocolate Smoothie that you can check out. Extremely high in protein and lots of carbs for energy. It would be a great pre-workout, pre-game drink for her.