Are you weak without meat??

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm weak without meat because I do not eat enough outside sources of protein to supplement. I acknowledge this.

And I acknowledge that if I was more conscious about choosing more protein filled foods- I'd have less issues, when and if I was "meat-free".

But I personally really enjoy meat- and I eat it regularly- chicken, fish, cow.

Oh- and for you fish only people- fish is meat- let's not kid ourselves- you're NOT a vegetarian- you're a pescatarian.

Secondly: I have no issue with ethical veggy/vegan folks, makes total sense to me- I don't agree with it- but I understand the motivation/drive to pursue that life style.

I take more issue with the ones that think it's substantially healthier. Because it's not.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any other responses but no, I don't feel any weaker without meat. I make sure that I have the right vitamin supplements to make up for the B-12, Iron and Vitamin D. My protein levels are just about the same as they were with meat, so I am not sure where the weakness would come from other than a vitamin deficiency, which is easy to fix.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Well, this gets derailed every time.

There's plenty of reasons to eat or not whatever. You don't like the colour pink? Don't eat beets. Eating fresh shrimp inflicts pangs of regret on your belief in Dagon? Don't. And so on.

Plenty of successful vegan athletes out there... if you find the idea of eating meat so repulsive, there's many ways to go around it.
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have a lot more energy and feel tons better since becoming vegan.
    I felt sluggish and gross physically when I ate meat.
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that I'm "weak" without meat. But I would probably be irritable if I didn't have any.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    It really hurts my feelings when I see how animals are being slaughtered for us to eat. SO after seeing a video/documentary, etc I wouldn't eat meat for a few days.. But after that, I'm back to eating it again. I feel like my body needs meat b/c I feel really weak if I had not eaten meat after a couple of days. I tried the beans and tofu thing for protein but I couldn't do it in the long run. Any thoughts on this guys? To vegetarians/vegans out there, how do you guys do it??

So you resolve to not eat industrial meat, so you stop altogether, then your resolve weakens so you go back to industrial meat.

Have you ever imagined a system where there *might* be something different from industrial meat supply? Or is it just some pseudo empathy thing, which is why there isn't commitment?

There are a lot of easy and inexpensive options to step out of the industrial food system, even in the most hell blasted urban areas like Boston. You should look into it, if the ethics of your food concern you.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I personally believe that God created animals for us to consume. So that is where my point of view is coming from. With that said....

From what I understand, the more sucessfull vegatarians/vegans have done a lot of research and collected enough knowledge and are truly dedicated.

I would say that you cannot just wing it or treat it like a fad diet (being a vegan) and expect to be sucessful. As many already noted, you have to know how to get complete protein sources, understand that you have to consume a lot of it and still stay within your calorie limit range. You limited yourself out of an entire food group or two. So you have to be real creative on how you prepare what food sources are left and keep it tasty and interesting. You have to be willing to try and like new things.

I personally vomit at the thought of tofu. I tried it many times with little sucess. I am peronally happy being a meat eater. Good luck to the rest of you on however you decide to eat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here - have been for over 25 years! I doubt I would be considered weak considering I hold a couple of National and State Powerlifting records.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I trust that all you vegans don't go around sporting iphones and nike shoes, because humans are getting exploited much worse to make these products than a cow getting milked is exploited.

Okay. Do YOU actually do that? Cut out those companies, cotton, diamonds, and gold... and the meat? Or do you just do neither and point fingers at those who are doing more than you because they aren't doing everything?

No I don't any of that. I eat meat, I buy goods from companies with shady production policies because I don't care about killing animals for food or slave labor and other countries and I am not going to pretend that I do.

I am just pointing out the hypocrisy of certain vegans who preach their faux ethics or morals on others.

I didn't see anyone preaching on this thread tho..
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    It really hurts my feelings when I see how animals are being slaughtered for us to eat. SO after seeing a video/documentary, etc I wouldn't eat meat for a few days.. But after that, I'm back to eating it again. I feel like my body needs meat b/c I feel really weak if I had not eaten meat after a couple of days.(snip)

You don't need meat and a lack of meat won't make you feel weak. I just ran 3.5 miles yesterday and haven't eaten meat in two years. I'm okay. A vegetarian diet is healthy and you can get the nutrients you need without meat including iron and protein. Beans and tofu are good sources, (snip)

I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, but you are both "right".

So too are those on whichever side of the fence they find themselves on (based on their personal "beliefs") regarding the "morality" of (or of not) eating meat. There are few "certainties" in the diet world, but one of which I'm pretty confident is that I (or anyone else) is not likely to "convince" anyone that "my" point of view is correct and their's is wrong. As a result, I prefer to spend the time I save by not doing so focused on the "science" rather than the "ideology".

It's absolutely true that you "don't NEED meat..." - millions of people have existed for thousands of years never a morsel of meat having passed their lips.

It's equally true, however, that you DO need many of the nutritive components (including "fats" and each of the Omega 3 components ALA, EPA, and DHA. It's also true that "some" (maybe even "most") of the missing components CAN be found in alternative foods and while that's important and good to know, I personally couldn't care less that tofu can. For me, I'd rather eat cardboard, but it "works" for others and that's just fine.

The whole "fats" issue (as in USDA recommended Food Pyramid, "low fat" diets, and the CICO "theories") are ones that have gone largely unquestioned since being deemed "conventional wisdom" in the 1970's. Too often ignored, however, is the simple "fact" that since adoption and widespread acceptance, obesity, diabetes, cardio, and many other often "terminal" diseases have been on a dramatic and steady rise.

Direct "cause and effect" has yet to be "proven" - conclusively, although scientific documentation (by way of "clinical" studies) is getting closer to doing so day by day. Much of the "research" goes back many decades (including some back to the 1800's and early 1900's. Many would argue that much of it has been either simply "ignored", "dismissed out of hand", or intentionally "suppressed" by those with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. That's a "political" and economic discussion for another day but one for which considerable support and "evidence" exists for those willing to invest the time to "uncover" it.

That the body "needs" specific nutrients though, is "science"- not ideology. It's the percentages of each that's in question, not the "fact" that they are needed.

IMO, if you are "substituting" carbs for meats (in an attempt to "replace" the missing nutrients) you are dealing yourself a deck that is NOT stacked in your favor. The human species existed for 10's of thousands of years on what your Grandma would have called a "balanced" diet that included foods from each of the "food groups" (which had yet to be defined as such). She (and indeed the entire "medical" and "dietary" communities) just "knew" that bread and potatoes "made you fat" and "processed" foods (when they came to exist), "just aren't healthy for you".

She limited (but probably didn't completely eliminate) your intake of the "bad" foods, tried her best to get you to "...eat your vegetables", and proudly proclaimed that she would never eat anything that contained "stuff I can't pronounce."

History has pretty much "proven" that Grandma "knew best" (and the politicians, current "experts", and mega "food" corps, DO NOT - or at least don't "care").

One need only be willing to examine the "results" of the "common wisdom", OR find an alternative (and scientifically documented) explanation for the disastrous "results" (in terms of obesity, disease, etc) produced by the "experiment" in low fat / high carb diets that has been forced on the public since the 1970's.

I'm not now, and never had "advocated" for any specific "diet" (especially any of the "fad diets"). I am though, beginning to seriously question what I've always been "led to believe" is the "best" (and most current) "conventional wisdom" when it comes to diet and nutrition. The more research and questioning I do though, the more I'm coming to believe that "low fat/high carb" diets (in the proportions dictated by the pyramid and blindly adopted by so many) are the PROBLEM and not the SOLUTION.

It is, of course, for each to "decide" on their own what is "best" for them. Doing so after having evaluating ALL the "evidence" is (IMO) the ONLY way one does themselves justice. "Myth", "dogma", anecdote, and conventional "wisdom" - don't quality as "evidence", "science" DOES.

"Diet" and "Nutrition" are (or at least IMO, should be), SCIENCE - NOT "ideology" or "religion".
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    So, without getting into the ethical debates too much, and going back to the OP....

Last week I went vegan for 3 days (it was almost nearly raw vegan, but I did have some olive oil and some nut butters, and I'm not sure what the exact definition of "raw vegan" is and I honestly don't care enough to figure it out, so I don't want to overstep - basically, raw fruits and vegetables plus a very small amount of nuts/nut butters, olive oil, vinegar, and flaxseed meal). I actually had zero expectations for the result, it was primarily just an experiment/personal test of my own willpower. (It was supposed to be a smoothie thing, but I caved by lunchtime on day 1 and ended up eating a salad, lolol. :laugh:) I learned 2 things: 1) I did feel pretty good by the end. I don't know if I noticed anything significant beyond a marked reduction in abdominal bloating (I'll let your own minds work out the cause for that:indifferent:), but I came out of it with the idea that if I ever decided to go vegan I could probably do it. 2) I WAS FRICKING STARVING. I ate the same number of calories that I usually do, and by the end of each day I felt like I could eat everything I had eaten that day all over again. I need protein to make it through my day. Granted, by doing it "raw" I was missing out on a lot of the most significant vegan protein sources, but still - I don't think that a couple servings of beans and quinoa would have cut it. So, sorry, little chickens and pigs. For now, it's not for me. :frown:
  • micheleb15
    Options
    So, without getting into the ethical debates too much, and going back to the OP....

Last week I went vegan for 3 days (it was almost nearly raw vegan, but I did have some olive oil and some nut butters, and I'm not sure what the exact definition of "raw vegan" is and I honestly don't care enough to figure it out, so I don't want to overstep - basically, raw fruits and vegetables plus a very small amount of nuts/nut butters, olive oil, vinegar, and flaxseed meal). I actually had zero expectations for the result, it was primarily just an experiment/personal test of my own willpower. (It was supposed to be a smoothie thing, but I caved by lunchtime on day 1 and ended up eating a salad, lolol. :laugh:) I learned 2 things: 1) I did feel pretty good by the end. I don't know if I noticed anything significant beyond a marked reduction in abdominal bloating (I'll let your own minds work out the cause for that:indifferent:), but I came out of it with the idea that if I ever decided to go vegan I could probably do it. 2) I WAS FRICKING STARVING. I ate the same number of calories that I usually do, and by the end of each day I felt like I could eat everything I had eaten that day all over again. I need protein to make it through my day. Granted, by doing it "raw" I was missing out on a lot of the most significant vegan protein sources, but still - I don't think that a couple servings of beans and quinoa would have cut it. So, sorry, little chickens and pigs. For now, it's not for me. :frown:

Just curious - were you eating the same amount of protein that you would if you were eating meat or no?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Just curious - were you eating the same amount of protein that you would if you were eating meat or no?

Heavens no - that was the problem. Obviously what I eat varies day-to-day, but on a totally average typical day, I eat in the range of 1500-1600 calories and get 80-100 or so grams of protein. On the 3 days I did the vegan thing, I was getting 30-35 grams of protein while staying in the same calorie range. Like I said, I acknowledge that I had excluded some of the main vegan protein sources (beans, protein-heavy grains, soy, etc). But, when you take into account the protein to calorie/carb ratios of those foods, I don't believe I could eat enough of those protein sources to feel satisfied while also meeting my fat and micronutrient goals AND staying in my calorie goal. It would certainly be a struggle. And, considering that I was consuming a ton of fat, water, and fiber in those 3 days, in terms of satiety protein is really the only missing piece. (Edit to add: I don't believe that I PERSONALLY could do it - I'm certainly not saying anything about what anyone else does, I just don't believe that it would work for ME.)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I like to think peas scream for their lives as I munch on them.
  • micheleb15
    Options

Heavens no - that was the problem. Obviously what I eat varies day-to-day, but on a totally average typical day, I eat in the range of 1500-1600 calories and get 80-100 or so grams of protein. On the 3 days I did the vegan thing, I was getting 30-35 grams of protein while staying in the same calorie range. Like I said, I acknowledge that I had excluded some of the main vegan protein sources (beans, protein-heavy grains, soy, etc). But, when you take into account the protein to calorie/carb ratios of those foods, I don't believe I could eat enough of those protein sources to feel satisfied while also meeting my fat and micronutrient goals AND staying in my calorie goal. It would certainly be a struggle. And, considering that I was consuming a ton of water and fiber in those 3 days, in terms of satiety protein is really the only missing piece. (Edit to add: I don't believe that I PERSONALLY could do it - I'm certainly not saying anything about what anyone else does, I just don't believe that it would work for ME.)

Our calorie intakes are very similar - I am around 1600 and my protein goal is set at 94, I am usually around 80-90. You are very right in your assessment about carbs v protein. My carbs are always over because of the sources of my protein. I can't imagine that I could ever get my macros in line without eating tofu and meat replacements (which I won't).
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Legit question for vegans; are there any plant sources for Creatine?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Not in 'food'...not for vegetarians either (or at least, not in any viable amounts). That is the one thing that actually can make a difference to strength, but is easily supplemented. However, most meat eaters will not get optimal levels of creatine and would need to supplement to be maximally beneficial.
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    having gone through various phases of being vegetarian and vegan and omnivorous (currently omnivorous) I would say that my body functions at its best on an omnivorous diet.

Elementary school biology class comes to my mind. First, we learnt about plants, then animals, then humans. When we learnt about animals, the most memorable lesson was when we "looked" at animals' teeth. By the shape of the teeth, you can come to know about their diet. Human teeth are similar to pigs' teeth, these are called omnivorous teeth. It means whatever we eat, we can survive on it, our body adapted the lifestyle successfully over many thousands of years.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Not in 'food'...not for vegetarians either (or at least, not in any viable amounts). That is the one thing that actually can make a difference to strength, but is easily supplemented. However, most meat eaters will not get optimal levels of creatine and would need to supplement to be maximally beneficial.
    That's why I thought of it, since low Creatine vs. Optimal is noticable very immediately.

Ah well, thanks Sara.
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    I trust that all you vegans don't go around sporting iphones and nike shoes, because humans are getting exploited much worse to make these products than a cow getting milked is exploited.

So I've tried to take it slow, to see at as a challenge to make a new good decision every week or so and to cut myself slack for not doing everything at once.

There's a quote from a vegan I really liked- "don't do nothing because you can't do everything, do something." ... I don't know if that's the exact wording but anyway... I really appreciated that. It can be overwhelming facing the problems of the world. Sounds like you are doing something. :flowerforyou: