About the gym...

Options
Archer9304
Archer9304 Posts: 113 Member
Okay so after seeing the price, I decided maybe the gym isn't such a good idea after all...

But I really need to tone up and *build muscle* (<emphasis on this). I'd like to do a bulk and cut. I'm a total beginner and noob when it comes to strength and I seriously have no idea what I'm doing. Or going to do.

Perhaps I need a good program I can do at home? With minimal equipment. Please?

ETA: the goal of this is to strengthen my arms a little but more to have a flatter stomach. Because I look pregnant but I'm already at a good weight.

Replies

• Archer9304
    Options
    With all of the above considered...please take a look at the 2 pictures of my belly in my profile...Because I'm not even sure if I've diagnosed the problem correctly. Should I lose more fat, or should I build muscle? I'm currently 5'1 and 127lb.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    is there only one gym available in your town?

i pay less than 20 dollars a month for mine (golds gym)

ymca is also an inexpensive option.

there are about 6 gyms in my neighborhood and they range in price from 85 dollars a month to mine, which was on special for 19.00 a month.

but you dont HAVE to use a gym. you can even do body weight exersizes.
  • chadya07
    Options
    and... you should both lose fat AND build muscle. the two together.
  • Archer9304
    Options

there are about 6 gyms in my neighborhood and they range in price from 85 dollars a month to mine, which was on special for 19.00 a month.

Yeah only one gym, that's why they charge outrageous prices. And then they want me to sign a solid contract. I can't just pay for one or six months. If I sign up it has to be a lifetime membership and I don't want that. They also don't have instructors or anything. Small town.

Can you recommend a good program for home? With minimal equipment?
  • Archer9304
    Options

I thought you had to eat at maintenance to build muscle?
  • chadya07
    Options

I thought you had to eat at maintenance to build muscle?

ok let me rephrase. you should both strength train and fat burn.

sorry about the small town. a lifetime membership is absurd. there is a book or program or something people keep mentioning called "you are your own gym" or something... hopefully someone chimes in with the actual name. i LOVE les mills body pump. the kit is pretty spendy but it is like a mix of strength and cardio and it feels great. i have been having good results with the classes. they have a home program around 180-190 for the equipment (barbell) and dvds
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I just bought You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren. It gives good descriptions of body weight exercises, and pictures of them, as well. I'm using it during the night shift, when I have downtime - there's no equipment needed and these exercises can be done anywhere. Good luck to you
  • Stephen318
    Stephen318 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of home workout dvd 's available with little equipment needed by beach body , Jillian Michaels etc.. You could also do the "basics" 3 times a week

Body weight squats
    Pushups
    planks or crunches
    small weighted barbell curl
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you want this book: http://amzn.to/1kLa5ZT

50% of my training is bodyweight only. As things get easier, there's a progression to make it tough again. Bodyweight legs is the only thing you might max out on from a strength perspective.

WRT gyms, I do use gyms but have yet to pay for one. There's always a way round. :D
  • lynetterose85
    lynetterose85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you tried kettlebells before? They're a good calorie burner and I've certainly noticed a difference in muscle. You can do this from home but it might be advisable to go to a couple of classes to get the technique right so you don't injure yourself! :)
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Yeah only one gym, that's why they charge outrageous prices. And then they want me to sign a solid contract. I can't just pay for one or six months. If I sign up it has to be a lifetime membership and I don't want that. They also don't have instructors or anything. Small town.

Spend a hundred and twenty bucks total and buy the Shaun T Insanity vids. I'm 52 years old and NEVER had obliques until I did that vid FAITHFULLY (note in all CAPS!)six days a week. There are a ton of very difficult full body exercises...they will build your delts, etc...it's not a sissy workout, trust me.

With that said, you can't spot-reduce. "Abs are made in the kitchen." work on your diet...and your cals/macros calculations.

Correction: VIDEOS, plural...I think there are about 8-10 in all. Good luck...then slowly invest in adjustable dumbbells, a barbell and plates as you can afford.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I agree with Darren - try bodyweight exercises. They cost nothing, and there are tons of clips on YouTube.

For example, have a look at this search: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bodyweight+abs+women
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    This guy has some prison workouts on his blog

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Rmenifield

They are designed to be done in a cell and still have great results. Possibly what you are looking for =)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

That's crazy. Does no one in your town ever move?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would go for eating at a small deficit - TDEE -10% and look into some strength/resistance training - you are your own gym, NROL4W, or if you want a dvd programme, P90X3 is excellent.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    swimming is a full body workout that requires a strong core, arms, shoulders, legs, etc. DO push ups. Get yourself some resistance bands for about twenty bucks. There are many many exercised to do with those. At all times of the day, focus on holding in your core muscles especially when going for walks/jogs/swimming/ or anything else. THat helps me. I swear by swimming. This is summer and the beach is free if you don't have a pool. Don't lose more weight. Check out youtube for stuff like tae bo. THat is great on the abs and whole body.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I suggest you look at litealloy.com for non gym workouts. It has all the old bodyrock workouts and you can substitute a lot of the equipment.
    Other good ones I have found are Christine Salus, loving fit, and hot body method.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    you can go on you tube and find lots of workouts.
    I am doing Jillian Micheals' 30 day shred....I have lost inches on my waist and toned all over.
    It is free, all you need is a mat or a towel and handweights or soupcans.
    This is an intense workout!:noway:
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    i would go for eating at a small deficit - TDEE -10% and look into some strength/resistance training - you are your own gym, NROL4W, or if you want a dvd programme, P90X3 is excellent.

^^^This. Based on your pictures, you still have some fat to lose, and you are new to lifting, so this is not a time for you to bulk. Also, you will get MUCH better results from your resistance training by following an established program designed by experts like those suggested, rather than randomly picking some exercises.

Best of luck to you!
  • fejiofor
    fejiofor Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Www.personaltrainer.com is a useful site for home exercises. Please get a gym ball and 2 or more dumbbells to do the exercises on the personal trainer site. Are you on twitter? If yes,then search fitness and follow as many fitness tweeps as possible.