Why the frenzy about almond milk?

Options

Replies

• Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use it because it isn't dairy. I'm trying to limit my diary intake, since I have PCOS. Diary isn't the best option for women with PCOS. At least not the non-organic kind.

Why would dairy be unsuitable for women with PCOS? (I'm not trying to argue against this, I'd just like to know why. I have PCOS, but apparently I'm a bit of a rara avis since I don't have metabolic syndrome/central obesity/blood sugar issues like many others with PCOS. All I get is an elevated serum testosterone level and some hirsutism, so I've never limited carbs or other foodstuffs because of my PCOS since I'm assuming nothing in my diet will affect the levels of testosterone. (I'm chubby because I eat too much, in other words. ;) And weight goes to my hips and thighs first.) I'm also Northern European, so I've retained my ability to digest lactose after infancy. Dairy has always been a part of my diet. I've seen a lot of people advocating cutting carbs, but I can't recall seeing anything about cutting dairy.)
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Don't judge it solely on its sweetened varieties. I use original flavored unsweetened almond milk or plain unsweetened coconut milk. 30 calories in a cup of unsweetened almond milk or 45 calories in a cup of unsweetened coconut milk (ready to drink not the canned kind). Even nonfat milk will be about 83 or so calories for a cup, or 2% at 120 a cup.

I don't have issues with dairy or anything, but since I get plenty of dairy nutrition through cheese and yogurt in my diet I prefer to keep the calories I drink lower (as personally, drinking my calories even for milk does little to curb my hunger). A bowl of honey nut cheerios with some almond or coconut milk tastes just as good as with skim to me but with less calories. I've also use coconut milk in recipes in place of milk for gravies or creamy stroganoff.

Dairy holds some very important nutrients that you shouldn't neglect. But if you're getting them from other dairy products I see no harm in choosing alternate, lower calorie milk in order to stay within calorie goals.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have recently dropped all diary from my diet, I do not believe its good for you. I do not want to get in an argument/discussion about it, just answering the post and explaining why I would drink almond milk.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Better for digestion, more readily absorbed calcium, isn't acidic and also much lower in calories (even skimmed I believe).

…real milk isn't acidic, either. And the calcium is added to almond milk.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Better for digestion, more readily absorbed calcium, isn't acidic and also much lower in calories (even skimmed I believe).

Dairy in general is pretty highly basic. That's why milk is often recommended for acid reflux, it neutralizes acid.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I like using unsweetened 30 calorie/serving almond milk for smoothies, but that's about it - I can't substitute it for milk in cereal, coffee, etc.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Don't judge it solely on its sweetened varieties. I use original flavored unsweetened almond milk or plain unsweetened coconut milk. 30 calories in a cup of unsweetened almond milk or 45 calories in a cup of unsweetened coconut milk (ready to drink not the canned kind). Even nonfat milk will be about 83 or so calories for a cup, or 2% at 120 a cup.

I don't have issues with dairy or anything, but since I get plenty of dairy nutrition through cheese and yogurt in my diet I prefer to keep the calories I drink lower (as personally, drinking my calories even for milk does little to curb my hunger). A bowl of honey nut cheerios with some almond or coconut milk tastes just as good as with skim to me but with less calories. I've also use coconut milk in recipes in place of milk for gravies or creamy stroganoff.

Dairy holds some very important nutrients that you shouldn't neglect. But if you're getting them from other dairy products I see no harm in choosing alternate, lower calorie milk in order to stay within calorie goals.

This is exactly why I opt for the almond milk. I use the unsweetened as well
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I live in UK, and use coffee creamer in my tea and coffee. I did see almond milk on a supermarket shelf ones, but can't remember where. The price was ridiculously expensive, and I didn't even bother to look at it. Another man made product like soya, I suspect. I have enough issues with the amount of additives, in the few ready made products, I occasionally consume, without worrying about almond milk. Don't take me wrong, I love almonds , and at xmas time, marzipan is the icing on the cake. I just can't imagine how anyone would bother to milk nuts. Whatever next?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    If almond milk tasted like Rumchata (or even horchata), I'd drink it.
  • JaneyB311
    JaneyB311 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use both and only use the almond milk in my protein shakes mainly because I still want some of the milk-like taste/texture but as I have 2 shakes per day sometimes, the unswettened one comes in at only a quarter of the calories of semi skimmed cows milk. I still use cows milk in my oats, tea/coffee etc.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I love whole milk, but I use almond milk when I want a lower calorie alternative, or want to limit my dairy consumption due to my occasional digestive weirdness. Also, I think it tastes nice! And almond milk does have more calcium than cow's milk, but cow's milk has more protein. So there are positives with both :)
  • just4jilly
    just4jilly Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    We use it because it is low calorie and my son is a vegetarian. I don't like it alone but in cereal, cooking or coffee it works great. My son LOVES it for drinking and any other reason.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I like cheese, right? But I don't like the stuff that may be in our milk. So, if I can't completely be milk free since I like cheese, I will try to make small changes and I do it with almond milk. I still have regular milk in my fridge right now because I wanted some and it was cheaper at the store I went to, but when I'm being a good shopper, I buy almond milk only.

Yo, it's tough knowing your milk, eggs, chicken is being produced in not-so-nice and unhealthy ways (chickens eating chickens, hormones in your food, cows eating corn and having stomach parasites, etc). It's also tough not having lots of money to go completely organic. I guess, it doesn't have to be so tough if I really thought about it and made better spending choices. So, I'll make these small changes and hope that one day I can effect bigger changes.

Oh and I like almond milk. It tastes good!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I prefer it over milk. I just buy the original or lite varieties (not the vanilla). It is lower calories than milk--even skim, and lasts longer in the fridge. Plus I like it, so...
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I think regular milk tastes gross, and my body has a hard time digesting dairy.
    I don't drink it straight because it does not taste that good.
    I use unsweetened plain almond milk. Maybe one small carton per week.
    It gives a creamier feel than using plain water, and it is lower calorie than coconut/soy/rice milks.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have digestive trouble drinking cow's milk and never really liked it. I really like how almond milk tastes (can't stand soy).
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options

This is exactly why I opt for the almond milk. I use the unsweetened as well

Unsweetened almond milk for me as well! I never was a big dairy milk drinker to begin with but I love dairy products like cheese and yogurt. So I agree with the above, why waste liquid calories on whole dairy milk if there is a lower calorie substitute? Also love using unsweetened almond milk for my protein shakes, it gives the shake a creamy taste that you don't get with water, yet it doesn't have all the calories of regular milk.
  • WreckaRed
    WreckaRed Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I tried it after hearing the hype and now I LOVE it. We don't even have cows milk in our fridge anymore. I buy the unsweetened Vanilla and use it for every purpose that cows milk would normally serve. I just prefer the taste, as does my little boy, and hubby has lactose intolerance so it works well for him as well.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I have digestive trouble drinking cow's milk and never really liked it. I really like how almond milk tastes (can't stand soy).

Yeah, I think soy milk is sooooo gross.