Why the frenzy about almond milk?

Options

Replies

• jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    Options
    it is lower in calories (not many people will admit that's their reason)
    it tastes really nice and makes a change (just like buying chocolate,strawberry or banana milk for children)
    get more for your calories with the almond flavour (almonds are dense so you only get a few)
    plus there are health reasons (cant have dairy or vegan ect...)
    i like it on plain (original) weetabix but if i was going to have normal milk i would just top my weetabix with fruit........
  • jess17587
    Options
    Lasts longer in the fridge and has fewer calories.
    wow really i didn't know that!
  • jess17587
    Options
    I use it for lower calories in shakes, chai seed pudding etc. Much rather have cow milk (2%) in the other stuff.
    i should make a shake!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

I'm actually kind of annoyed that it's lower in calories. Compared to skim milk, those missing calories are basically the protein that's in skim milk, which is milk's only redeeming feature (imo).
  • DanielCathers
    DanielCathers Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I'm actually kind of annoyed that it's lower in calories. Compared to skim milk, those missing calories are basically the protein that's in skim milk, which is milk's only redeeming feature (imo).

Do what I do and add a low carb protein powder (ON Gold Standard Double Chocolate). Keto and need more fat? Add coconut oil and/or heavy cream. In the morning? Espresso shots. 3 net carbs.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Do what I do and add a low carb protein powder (ON Gold Standard Double Chocolate). Keto and need more fat? Add coconut oil and/or heavy cream. In the morning? Espresso shots. 3 net carbs.

One of my uses for almond milk is a base for my protein shake instead of skim milk. The whey is a constant in that scenario. There's no real way of getting around the fact that I'm losing some protein by picking almond milk over skim milk. Thankfully, the difference isn't freakishly large.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like it for the taste and long shelf life. I have never been a milk drinker and I travel a lot, so the cow milk I would buy would go bad before I could use it up.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    For me it's just another beverage option. I like the way it tastes, and I also like dairy milk, so we have both. Homemade almond milk is even better tasting, but it doesn't last as long as the store bought stuff. Cashew milk is another nut milk I like. I like to use it as a non dairy creamer for my coffee.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I just don't like the thought of drinking milk from cows that are forced to be constantly pregnant and lactating so I opt for the alternatives like almond and soy. Coconut milk is good too. Mix and heat up a combination of full fat coconut milk with almond milk = divine taste!!
  • jess17587
    Options
    at least it mean you could have a piece of fruit on the side :)
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I just don't like the thought of drinking milk from cows that are forced to be constantly pregnant and lactating

This is so not true. My husband worked on a dairy farm when he was growing up and they do NOT "keep the cow pregnant to continue lactating". Cows keep giving milk for months after the calf is born. The milk that comes out first is called "sweet milk" and that is for the calf because it has all the vital nutrients that it needs. When that milk is done they wean the calf and the mother continues to produce milk which is the milk that is sold for drinking.

I couldn't imagine drinking something like almond milk. I tried soy milk for a while -- unsweetened -- and it just tasted so darn funky. I now get raw milk from a farm up the road. So much better than anything I've ever had.
  • DanielCathers
    DanielCathers Posts: 53 Member
    Options

One of my uses for almond milk is a base for my protein shake instead of skim milk. The whey is a constant in that scenario. There's no real way of getting around the fact that I'm losing some protein by picking almond milk over skim milk. Thankfully, the difference isn't freakishly large.

Well, unsweetened almond milk has basically nothing to it. If you really want more protein, just use more powder or make another shake. Milk just has too many g of carbs for me right now that I can hardly drink it (keto).
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Almond milk and soy milk both taste better in coffee than cow's milk, so I drink them. Having a girlfriend who shops at Trader Joe's helps, too.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    People like to drink things that taste like sadness.
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just like the taste of it better. Simple.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use it because it isn't dairy. I'm trying to limit my diary intake, since I have PCOS. Diary isn't the best option for women with PCOS. At least not the non-organic kind.

This. And I'm lactose intollerant... and it has lower calories.
  • cyborg_mantisshrimp
    Options
    People like to drink things that taste like sadness.

But It Is Made From Nuts And Nuts Taste Happy
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Hashimoto's makes dairy a thing of sadness. I love cheese, milk, ice cream, yogurt... but eating it is a bittersweet experience when my digestive tract forgets how to digest. Hey, intestines! You're doing it wrong!

I have occasional hard cheeses, a bit of milk for my coffee, and a pail of ice cream in my freezer that will last longer than it ever could have before. Sometimes I eat good quality yogurt for the probiotics but I wonder whether eating it or avoiding it is more beneficial.

I prefer coconut milk over almond. I could drink that forever.
  • jess17587
    Options
    Well, unsweetened almond milk has basically nothing to it. If you really want more protein, just use more powder or make another shake. Milk just has too many g of carbs for me right now that I can hardly drink it (keto).
    [/quote]

i have never had the unsweetened one, it just sounds discussing the though it buying it has never crossed my mind.
  • jess17587
    Options
    [/quote]

i have never had the unsweetened one, it just sounds discussing the though it buying it has never crossed my mind.
    [/quote]