Post exercise hunger tips!

Options
So I have just come back in from a long run and I had some fruit and a guarana drink and I quite fancied a late lunch....I came in, feeling rather nauseous (it was my first run in ages!) and after that passed, I starting feeling VERY hungry...it passed and now I am going to keep hydrated till my late lunch...but if I hadn't been distracted when I came in, I would have eaten a load of food and let myself down!

How do you all cope with that hunger? I usually drink water, go have a shower, drink some green tea (it tastes so bad it gets rid of hunger for a while!) or I will go look at bikinis and think about my holiday at the end of the year...but has anyone found anything else to help/

And does anyone know why I get the post exercise hunger???

Thanks!

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I eat! Usually a protein shake straight after my workout and rice and chicken about 30 - 45 minutes afterwards.
  • sed2209
    sed2209 Posts: 5
    Options
    Ah okay...I was having protein shakes...but they too make me feel sick ;) but yeah...I will try that :) lots of protein :) thank you!
  • TheMotivator123
    Options
    Protein shake with Glutamine or a small 1 serving G2 gadarote followed by a 4 to 6 oz chicken breast or tuna.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Ah okay...I was having protein shakes...but they too make me feel sick ;) but yeah...I will try that :) lots of protein :) thank you!

I find protein shakes can make me feel a bit nauseated too (right after working out). A couple of things I tried to make it a little easier on my stomach are: blend a banana and a little cinnamon into the shake (I use chocolate powder so the combination works well, I expect strawberries or blueberries would be nice too) or if this isn't feasible for whatever reason, I actually use lukewarm water to mix up the protein powder (sounds disgusting, I know, I don't know why this helped me but it did).
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the morning an hour after I wake up. I work out on an empty stomach except for some coffee.
    Main point: I have my largest meal of the day right after I exercise.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I do a small protien shake before I work out and then after ( iw orkout early so I eat breakfast) and usually have eggs and turkey bacon :)
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Food helps, usually.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Stop with the sugars and starches. Protein and fats will keep you satiated longer.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I am one of those hit the gym for an hour 45 mins types, generally at night - I come home from that and have a cup of Chocolate Milk w/Skim Milk and a piece of 15 grain bread w/Natural Peanut Butter, replaces the protein and gets some calcium in me, picks me right back up and I feel worlds better when I am done!
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5am, immediately have a protein bar and a bottle of water and get to the gym about a half hour later. Walk on the treadmill and then hit the weights for about 30-45min. Then I have a protein shake after, and about 2-3 hours later eat breakfast. I also drink a water with Mio sport added to it (for electrolytes, Gatorade will also work for this). I also used to feel sick until I started drinking the electrolytes and having the shake after.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    the way I cope is to plan that post exercise snack. My usual go to is a fruit/almond milk and flax seed smoohie. it keeps me satisfied until my next meal
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Soup, always. Or tuna. Or chicken. Or yogurt. Depends, really.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I eat.

I'm always ravenous after I work out... so I plan my day around eating late in the evening (when I work out- it's later anyway)
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I sort of incorporate the exercise and the food...

I ride my bike to an Arby's or Wendy's that's 10 miles away and get some grub there.

Easy and effective!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    What's a guarana drink?
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Stop with the sugars and starches. Protein and fats will keep you satiated longer.

Post workout? Wrong - totally wrong!
    Sugars (fast carbs) will spike insulin which will eventually distribute faster your macros broken down (carbs to replenish glycogen to muscles + liver, aminos and protein to start the process of tissue repair).
    Fat post workout to be avoided as it slows down digestion which will eventually slow down the breaking down of your macros to reach where they belong to!