Good mile time?

Options

Replies

• arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am in the camp that says everyone's different and everyone's best looks different! My average time is 10:00 - that's roughly the pace I can sustain for runs of 3 - 6+ miles. If I'm *just* running a mile, I could probably do 9:00 or even under - I've never timed it.

I like to do a combination of long runs and sprints. Today, for instance, I'm about to do a workout where I warm up for 1.5 miles at 10:00 pace, then a series of sprints as fast as I can do, followed by a .5 mile cool down. This has absolutely helped me improve my pace!

I should also add, I've been running for years now and am happy where I'm at. I think a good pace for me is the one where I feel I'm working hard - and that's around 10:00. ;)
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I am 62, not really a runner. My fastest time was a 10 min mile, (thought I would die). I am usually happy w/ 12 min mile. Still, do what you can do and as others have said, race yourself. My first day, I "walked" a half mile and wanted paramedics. Good luck in your fitness quest.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    For the general 30 year old public...i'd say 9 minutes is okay.
    8 minutes means you've done some training and are in better than average shape
    7 minutes and you're in decent shape
    6 minutes and you're in great shape
    5 minutes...shut up, nobody wants to hear about your awesomeness.

I've done absolutely no research...
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    It looks like the world record for women is 4:12. So try to get as close to that as possible. :laugh:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I was brainwashed for quite a while regarding run times. The best time for YOU is the pace you can sustain. When I was young and in the army, I would always strive for an 8 minute mile. NOW, I've been hitting an 11 minute mile, and that is comfortable for me to sustain - for now. Once I get some more miles down, my ultimate goal is to hit a 9 minute mile pace. Oh - and FTR, I'm a 35 y/o woman. What is your pace for a mile right now?

I don't know, I've never raced a mile before.

It is the devil. A one mile race is a really tough race, don't let the relatively short distance fool you.

I'm with most others, I race against myself. My running club has a one mile race once a year and my goal is to be faster than last year (I was succeeding). Initially I wanted to be under an 8 m/m. Now I want to be under 7 (so close).
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify:

I've been wondering about running/racing ONE mile.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    proper training will turn you into a good runner so long as your body mechanics aren't prohibitive... to look at it any other way is useless... A sloppy 6 minute mile isn't the same a a graceful 6 minute mile.

Food for thought.. Plenty of seasoned runners may have a slower mile time than someone else yet have a better marathon time. What kinda runner do you want to be?
    Maybe turn you into a "better" runner, not necessairly a good runner.
    Some people just dont have it and will never really be a good runner, but proper mechanics will make you a better runner!
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 and have been running a lot lately and can do 3.1 miles (a 5K) right around a 10:00 mile pace, but it's still hard for me. A few months ago I was just trying to keep it under 11:00/miles for that distance. About a month ago I ran one mile just to see how fast I could do it and I ran it in 8:52, which is by far the fastest mile I've ever ran. I'm definitely not a runner by nature. I know I started around 12:30 miles and walking/running intervals.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify:

I've been wondering about running/racing ONE mile.
    Dont know many one mile races and the answer is still the same. What is good enough to place? Or for your age and sex? Your own ability?

A training run can differ quite a bit from a 1 mile race run when the adrenaline is flowing. I can never get close to race times when I train even when its with others.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    4:46

A bit slow... http://www.teamusaminnesota.org/index.php/heather-dorniden

4:30 seems like a decent bench mark.. Not gonna win the Olympics but do what you can lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=70UF82nysIU

For some mid distance motivation!

I would hire her for just about anything. Wow. What a spirit!
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I can run a 7 minute mile (just 1) and average between 8-9 min miles for long runs at 35. I feel this is pretty good. When I started I felt 10 min/mile was pretty good.

I think the only person you race is yourself... so go run a mile. Then try to beat that.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    for 30 year old female in a one mile race, 8 minutes is a 51% age grade...so 51% of the best time in the world for women of your age. A 6 minute mile would put you at 68% and in the 'local elite' class, though as davemunger pointed out, this is imperfect, "local elite" means different things if you live in Mammoth Lakes vs. BFE nowhere.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    proper training will turn you into a good runner so long as your body mechanics aren't prohibitive... to look at it any other way is useless... A sloppy 6 minute mile isn't the same a a graceful 6 minute mile.

Food for thought.. Plenty of seasoned runners may have a slower mile time than someone else yet have a better marathon time. What kinda runner do you want to be?

This...a mile in marathon looks different then a mile in a 5K or even a one mile race.

Just run at your pace..the one that feels comfortable and doesnt get you injured and gets you to your goals..

speed will come with time and training
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This...a mile in marathon looks different then a mile in a 5K or even a one mile race.

Just run at your pace..the one that feels comfortable and doesnt get you injured and gets you to your goals..

I like benchmarks. I have a mile, 5k, 10k and Half benchmark. I understand my 1 mile time will be different from my 1 mile out of 13.1 but they give me an idea of where to be pace wise for training. It keeps me motivated and moving forward.
    I also like to see how I stack up against others people.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You know, I get the question. I would ask it more like "What is a mile time that I could say to other runners my age and not totally lose all their respect?" At least, that's what I wanted when I was looking for a target time for my first half marathon.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm....well my fastest mile ever squeaked in just under 10 min. But when I started running, I was at a 15:00/mile pace. So 10 is awesome for me!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

My question was about ONE mile. Obviously, my pace is not the same in a mile race than in a marathon.

I guess I'm gonna run that thing all out and try not to puke before the finish line.
    Then I'll use an age graded tool given to me by Google to see if I can make that result public or not :laugh:
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I would try and break a 6 min mile; then go from there with future 1 mile races.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

How is a sloppy 6 min mile any different than a graceful one.. Do you get scored by the judges on form? Lol

You mean a 9:18 is NOT almost a perfect 10? Crap! back to the drawing boards for me.