Good mile time?

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    proper training will turn you into a good runner so long as your body mechanics aren't prohibitive... to look at it any other way is useless... A sloppy 6 minute mile isn't the same a a graceful 6 minute mile.

Food for thought.. Plenty of seasoned runners may have a slower mile time than someone else yet have a better marathon time. What kinda runner do you want to be?

This...a mile in marathon looks different then a mile in a 5K or even a one mile race.

Just run at your pace..the one that feels comfortable and doesnt get you injured and gets you to your goals..

speed will come with time and training

My question was about ONE mile. Obviously, my pace is not the same in a mile race than in a marathon.

I guess I'm gonna run that thing all out and try not to puke before the finish line.
    Then I'll use an age graded tool given to me by Google to see if I can make that result public or not :laugh:

That's pretty much how you run a one mile race. I also suggestion a good warm up. Most of the fast runners I know run 2 miles to warm up for it. I did at least 1 at a jog.

If you have a current race time you can plug it in here to give you an idea of where you may be
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You know, I get the question. I would ask it more like "What is a mile time that I could say to other runners my age and not totally lose all their respect?" At least, that's what I wanted when I was looking for a target time for my first half marathon.
    If you worded the question like this, i would say for a respectable time i'd want it under 9 minutes. if you told me you ran under 8 minutes i'd be impressed. Under 7 would be like damn...those are high school numbers.

When i was at my heaviest i could barely squeak out a 9 minute mile but i was always pretty good at keeping pace cardio-wise. Now i'm back at 7 minutes give or take....and i'm 30 in 2 months.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    proper training will turn you into a good runner so long as your body mechanics aren't prohibitive... to look at it any other way is useless... A sloppy 6 minute mile isn't the same a a graceful 6 minute mile.

Food for thought.. Plenty of seasoned runners may have a slower mile time than someone else yet have a better marathon time. What kinda runner do you want to be?

This...a mile in marathon looks different then a mile in a 5K or even a one mile race.

Just run at your pace..the one that feels comfortable and doesnt get you injured and gets you to your goals..

My question was about ONE mile. Obviously, my pace is not the same in a mile race than in a marathon.

I guess I'm gonna run that thing all out and try not to puke before the finish line. [/b\
    Then I'll use an age graded tool given to me by Google to see if I can make that result public or not :laugh:

That's pretty much how you run a one mile race. I also suggestion a good warm up. Most of the fast runners I know run 2 miles to warm up for it. I did at least 1 at a jog.

If you have a current race time you can plug it in here to give you an idea of where you may be

My plan was 2 miles WU - 1 mile all out - 2 miles CD.

My goal is to beat the time McMillan is predicting :laugh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

If I read "sloppy" as "inefficient" then I would say that running a 6min mile is not easy to do in an inefficient manner. To run that fast, you must certainly need biomechanical efficiency that is the diametric opposite of "sloppy."
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I guess I'm gonna run that thing all out and try not to puke before the finish line.

Sounds like a solid plan to me. Good luck.
    I'd say have fun but who am I kidding, racing a mile is not fun. (J/k)
  • _Josee_
    Options
    You know, I get the question. I would ask it more like "What is a mile time that I could say to other runners my age and not totally lose all their respect?" At least, that's what I wanted when I was looking for a target time for my first half marathon.
    If you worded the question like this, i would say for a respectable time i'd want it under 9 minutes. if you told me you ran under 8 minutes i'd be impressed. Under 7 would be like damn...those are high school numbers.

When i was at my heaviest i could barely squeak out a 9 minute mile but i was always pretty good at keeping pace cardio-wise. Now i'm back at 7 minutes give or take....and i'm 30 in 2 months.

What I'm getting all of all this is that it's all relative.

What might seems impressive to you might seems not that good for me. Or the other way around.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    .. A sloppy 6 minute mile isn't the same a a graceful 6 minute mile.

Just run at your pace..the one that feels comfortable

Lol the take away from this thread:

1- if me & you ran a 6:02 min mile, and I ran a 6:03 mile but looked better doing it then I won

2- the mile race should feel comfortable.. Just run at "your pace"

Hahaha
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

If I read "sloppy" as "inefficient" then I would say that running a 6min mile is not easy to do in an inefficient manner. To run that fast, you must certainly need biomechanical efficiency that is the diametric opposite of "sloppy."

I took it as getting a sloppy 6 min/mi because she carb loaded on Sloppy Joes. I could be wrong tho.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'd say about 2.5 minutes per mile...

but I ride a bike ;)
  • _Josee_
    Options

1- if me & you ran a 6:02 min mile, and I ran a 6:03 mile but looked better doing it then I won

Hahaha

And... It would depends if we were running it in a 10K or a marathon.
  • vmclach
    Options

Hahaha

Because in a marathon it's okay to eat sloppy joes.

But if I ran a marathon at 6:00 pace while eating sloppy joes & you ran a 10k at 6:00 pace then you are the better runner because you aren't sloppy!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I guess I'm gonna run that thing all out and try not to puke before the finish line. [/b\

That sounds like a fabulous target.
  • Stoshew71
    Options

Hahaha

But if I ran a marathon at 6:00 pace while eating sloppy joes & you ran a 10k at 6:00 pace then you are the better runner because you aren't sloppy!

Or maybe becuz she Canadian. Canadians are naturally more graceful.
  • vmclach
    Options

Hahaha

Also note I might get points knocked off from the judges for my sports bra showing... The judges scoring in running events is critical to winning races
  • _Josee_
    Options

Hahaha

Also note I might get points knocked off from the judges for my sports bra showing... The judges scoring in running events is critical to winning races

Oh oh, they will fail me. I do a lot of sport bra running. Are the judges mothers of 8yrs old boys?
  • Stoshew71
    Options

Hahaha

Oh oh, they will fail me. I do a lot of sport bra running. Are the judges mothers of 8yrs old boys?

touche
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    It looks like the world record for women is 4:12. So try to get as close to that as possible. :laugh:

This!!! Now get to work!!!!
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I am close to 30 and I average between a 9:50-10:50 min mile when I do distance running. If I was doing a one mile max I am sure I could do it in 8:00 but that isn't sustainable for me.

I have a friend who is an avid runner and her mile time average is 7:30 min mile. She is also about 7.5 inches shorter than me.

Run what you feel is a good pace for you- and challenge yourself.

The best quote I found that helped me get over thinking my mile time needed to be faster was this

"Whether its a 14 min mile or a 7 min mile, IT IS STILL A MILE"
  • joebeana
    joebeana Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If it's your first mile race, you are going to set a PR no matter what. Just run hard and have fun. It's only a mile, so you can't really mess it up too bad.