Breaking up-give me my CD's back

DBoone85
DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
My BF of over 2 years and I are breaking up. We have been living together, in my house since we got serious back in early 2012. He has been packing up his stuff and moving it into storage until he finds a place. Well, here's the thing. We have this lamp, it is an antique Cambodian baby skin lampshade lamp that was given to US by his uncle. His uncle was in Viet Nam, and had smuggled this lamp back with him when he came home on liberty one time. We did not have anywhere to put it in out house, so I bought a reall nice antique table for it...it cost me a few hundred dollars...and the lamp is the focal point of our living room. Well, he wants to take the lamp. It was a gift to both of us...and I think that since i bought the table to display it...and since he does not even have a place to stay yet, I should get to keep it. Plus, I am the one who always buys the lamp oil for it anyway. He insists that since it was his uncle that gave US the lamp, it is his and I have no right to it. I am thinking about hiding it and just telling the BF tough titty. What do you guys think?

Replies

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    It's from HIS uncle. So now, you shouldn't get it. Stop being a child.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Ummm... baby skin?
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    You should grow up!!! It was to both of you but it was his uncle, he just gave it to "both" of you because it would have been rude to just give it to him. He doesn't care about you!
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Ummm... baby skin?

That's how you know it's high quality.
  • Iceberg_Simpson
    Iceberg_Simpson Posts: 737 Member
    I love baby skin lamp shades. They cast such a lovely glow for ambiance.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    That lamp is more sentimental to HIM than to the person that occasionally bought lamp oil and a sweet pedestal for it's display.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Just break up.

Oh wait. :wink:
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    It's his. you keep the table. How would you feel if your grandmother gave you both her *insert something sentimental to you* that he uses more (grandpa's watch, dining table, antique clock) and he tried to say that since he uses it more he gets to keep it? My guess is that you would say that since it was your family that gave it it's yours. If it wasn't for him you wouldn't have had the lamp in the first place. his uncle may have given it to both of you but I highly doubt that if it hadn't been for your ex he would have given it to you. Stop being petty. It's highly unattractive.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    just break... oh... uhm.

Yeah...
  • jnichel
    Ummm... baby skin?

Hurts less.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    You keep the table you bought, and he keeps the lamp from his uncle.

I'd feel this way even if you two were married for 30 years and the uncle was closer to you than his own nephew. It's from his family.
  • The_GingerBeard_Man
    The_GingerBeard_Man Posts: 197 Member
    Let him and the lamp go. You can find a new focal point for the living room, and one that won’t remind you of him.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Did you really think anyone would say that because you bought oil for it it should be yours?? Seriously??
  • jnichel
    Did you really think anyone would say that because you bought oil for it it should be yours?? Seriously??

Whale oil isn't cheap.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    If it was really over between you and your Ex..you would of handed it over gladly to be rid of him, so you can move on. Get over it!
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    beyonce-to-the-left-.gif
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    I instantly got Song for the Dumped by Ben Folds Five stuck in my head when reading this title.

OP, as nice as the lamp is and as much as you like it is from HIS uncle and his family and it seems to me that anything that was gifted to the two of you from his family has the right to go with him. How would you feel if it was your Aunt who gave the gift and he took it?

Don't needlessly draw this out. Allow both of you to move on and grow from your experience together.

And in all honesty it seems a little bit tacky to fight him over this gift from HIS uncle. Pick your battles.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    cliffs?
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    It's his lamp. It was given to both of you by HIS family. Why would you want to keep it?