Chip Timing?

Options
congruns
congruns Posts: 127 Member
I am running in the Huntington Beach Big 8K on Sunday and the wife is running in the 2K with dog. I didn't realize that the starts are 2 hours are apart, so I want to run with my wife and dog in the 2K, but I don't want to pay a 2nd entry fee for the 2K because I am cheap and race entries are starting to pile up. If I run with my bib from the 8K, will this overwrite my 8K results. Or is it better to just take the bib off. I figure its such a big event, I can just join the crowd because I don't care about being timed in the 2K.

Feel free to not answer the question also and post unsolicited judgements. forums work well that way

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Please don't do this unless you are actually purchasing entries for both races.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, banditing races is poor form.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, banditing races is poor form.

x 2.
    If you do go against this advice, please do not enter the finish line area in the race you are not registered for.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    so much hate for the race drop in. These things are expensive. I don't blame the guy for considering it. Have none of you ever seen two movies for the admission price of one?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    so much hate for the race drop in. These things are expensive. I don't blame the guy for considering it. Have none of you ever seen two movies for the admission price of one?

I don't blame him for considering it but as someone who volunteers as a race director, I see the other side of the coin as well.
  • 126siany
    Options

I don't blame him for considering it but as someone who volunteers as a race director, I see the other side of the coin as well.

Exactly. It's also no picnic for the people who DID PAY and now have an overly crowded field due to banditing.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options

no biggie, I knew folks would say much about righteousness. i think i might be able to rob someone for the 2nd entry fund.

if i cared about my 1.2 mile time, I would pay the feel, but a rich man once said, its not about how much you make, its about how much you save.

at the very least, people could have said, "i don't know all the details about chip timing.
    I am lucky to find smaller race groups that allow me to volunteer for a race one weekend and then race the next weekend.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

no biggie, I knew folks would say much about righteousness. i think i might be able to rob someone for the 2nd entry fund.

if i cared about my 1.2 mile time, I would pay the feel, but a rich man once said, its not about how much you make, its about how much you save.

at the very least, people could have said, "i don't know all the details about chip timing.
    I am lucky to find smaller race groups that allow me to volunteer for a race one weekend and then race the next weekend.

I do know the details of chip timing. I also know the details of being a race director. Its about more than you and your mile time. There are logistics that go into it, based on how many people have registered for the race. Sorry for not supporting your idea to steal some shiz from others. Wait, no, I'm not sorry.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Um, I did suggest that if you do choose to bandit the race to avoid the finish area. That pretty much elimintates the issue with the bib as well as avoids any conflict you may cause if the organizers have a back up timing system in place.
  • 126siany
    Options

But you are "robbing someone". The paying participants of that race and the race organizers.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You'd probably only have results shown for the 8K, but I'm not sure if the 2K will overwrite anything. And a lot of places will pull you out if they see you running without a bib.

That being said, running both without paying for both is not cool.. especially since it's a charity race for fallen troops.
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Feel free to not answer the question also and post unsolicited judgements. forums work well that way

Are you mad because they aren't saying what you wanted to hear? Stealing isn't very nice and why do all the other people have to pay entry fees but you don't? The race fee encompasses more than just the finish line rewards and timing; all the money spent on setting up, materials, safety precautions, man power, etc etc. They're saying that it isn't fair that you want to skip contributing just because you don't want to pay for that but you paid for another one. The race also has a limited number of entries, more than likely, since its probably a set total they limit so that everyone that paid to race has enough space and their safety is ensured. Now crowd that all up with a bunch of bandits lol that's not the experience others paid for.

Its sweet you want to run with your wife and dog, but can you plan that a bit better next time? Or pick another race down the road to do it together? Or why not just run on your own together somewhere amazing like a day-trip. No ones calling you names, they're just saying you're not so special that you don't have to pay any fees and get to do what you want without SOME judgement.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Um. No? Is that a common thing in your social circle?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The fact you don't want judgments posted shows you know what you are considering is wrong. The erosion of basic civility continues as evidenced by the OP and his supporter.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    I missed that this was to benefit the families of fallen soldiers. OP, you'd have to be a real d-bag to bandit this race.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am running in the Huntington Beach Big 8K on Sunday and the wife is running in the 2K with dog. I didn't realize that the starts are 2 hours are apart, so I want to run with my wife and dog in the 2K, but I don't want to pay a 2nd entry fee for the 2K because I am cheap and race entries are starting to pile up. If I run with my bib from the 8K, will this overwrite my 8K results. Or is it better to just take the bib off. I figure its such a big event, I can just join the crowd because I don't care about being timed in the 2K.

2066659_o.gif

And it's a charity race for families of fallen soldiers?

2066659_o.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

No, I haven't. Should I?

However, maybe I will the next time the local theater has a charity fundraiser.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    OP,
    Tell a wounded warrior you're too cheap to pay to do the 2k with your wife ... or a Gold Star Mother ... I guarantee you'll get a less kind reaction then you've seen here.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you're cheap - get a second job. I'm also sorry that you're an *kitten* - can't fix that, unfortunately.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

For a charity run? And you also have the balls to scold people for not patting you on the back over it. Be sure to shove slower people down while you're doing it. You wouldn't want anyone thinking that you're only half a ****.