Is losing weight all about caloric deficits?

Options
Would someone lose weight if they ate fewer calories but they ate nothing but ice cream and soda?

Replies

• candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Of course, but less calories might be less than you think because we don't digest every single calorie we consume, some are a lot easier to absorb. Ice cream and soda are probably some of the easiest to absorb so you'd be getting every single calorie.

If you ate the same number of calories in uncrushed linseeds you'd probably absorb less than 75% of them.
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes, although you may not be the healthiest person in the long run and it's an unsustainable and boring diet.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes, but they'd also be miserable and unhealthy.
  • Tonakiga
    Tonakiga Posts: 10
    Options
    Agreed with everyone above!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    No. Other factors come into play with caloric deficits that can affect weight loss or gain. Ultimately, yes, weight loss is about a deficit - but weight loss isn't always fat loss.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Ice cream doesn't count as calories.
    It just counts as awesome.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes, people have done experiments only eating twinkles and junk, or only eating McDonalds. They lost weight.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options

I dunno, if I had to pick... death by ice cream might be the best way to go.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if they dont have issues with insulin then yeah they would
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I dunno, if I had to pick... death by ice cream might be the best way to go.

:laugh:

Preaching to the choir there-- I've got 13 kinds of ice cream in my freezer at the moment.

The problem is I would be starving if I ate nothing but 1800 calories of ice cream. That's only 4 or 4.5 cups of food.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Of course, but less calories might be less than you think because we don't digest every single calorie we consume, some are a lot easier to absorb. Ice cream and soda are probably some of the easiest to absorb so you'd be getting every single calorie.

If you ate the same number of calories in uncrushed linseeds you'd probably absorb less than 75% of them.

orly_zpsb7c92970.jpg
  • charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Not always. Hormones play a huge role in weight loss. I've seen lots of people do near starvation diets while doing 2 hours of cardio a day and not lose weight. Leptin plays a big role. If your leptin levels are high you will lose more weight than low levels while calories in/out remain the same
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Would someone lose weight if they ate fewer calories but they ate nothing but ice cream and soda?

Have you not paid attention to the answers you've received in your other threads?
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I lost weight and have a reward out - its name was Fido
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options

orly_zpsb7c92970.jpg
    Well when I eat whole linseeds they come out the other end completely in tact so I really don't think I've absorbed all there is to absorb from them. I am sure that sometime manages to pass out of their skin probably but most of it is clearly inside still because they are unchanged in shape, colour, texture and size.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    1) A calorie is a calorie.

2) Calories in/calories out. Law of physics.

Weight loss is a multi-billion-dollar industry based upon second-grade math.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You could do that, but you'd be hungry all the time and pretty miserable despite the ice cream as that's not a lot of food to make up your daily calorie allowance and it won't keep you full (if at all) for very long.
  • charlieibeling
    Options
  • charlieibeling
    Options
    1) A calorie is a calorie.

2) Calories in/calories out. Law of physics.

Weight loss is a multi-billion-dollar industry based upon second-grade math.

This is not true. I'm guessing you're trying to invoke the laws of thermodynamics. The second law of thermodynamics contradicts calorie in vs calorie out. Here is a link to read, although no one ever reads these- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/

last I checked they were not teaching entropy calculation in second grade