Is losing weight all about caloric deficits?

Options
2»

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    1) A calorie is a calorie.

2) Calories in/calories out. Law of physics.

Weight loss is a multi-billion-dollar industry based upon second-grade math.

This is not true. I'm guessing you're trying to invoke the laws of thermodynamics. The second law of thermodynamics contradicts calorie in vs calorie out. Here is a link to read, although no one ever reads these- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/

last I checked they were not teaching entropy calculation in second grade

Thankyou for this! I have never believed losing weight was a simple ,matter of calories in, calories out.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    There's losing 'weight' by calorie deficit along depsite chitty macros and then there's losing 'fat' while maintaining muscle with calorie deficit and proper macros. In the former you'll lose both fat and muscle. In the latter you'll retain muscle,lose fat, be healthier, and look better.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

This is not true. I'm guessing you're trying to invoke the laws of thermodynamics. The second law of thermodynamics contradicts calorie in vs calorie out. Here is a link to read, although no one ever reads these- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/

So I can eat 6000 calories of clean holy food and not gain an ounce? Can I eat 1500 calories of total "crap" and gain weight with my maintenance calories being 2500?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Would someone lose weight if they ate fewer calories but they ate nothing but ice cream and soda?
    This will clear up your questions
    http://evidencemag.com/why-calories-count/
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Not always. Hormones play a huge role in weight loss. I've seen lots of people do near starvation diets while doing 2 hours of cardio a day and not lose weight. Leptin plays a big role. If your leptin levels are high you will lose more weight than low levels while calories in/out remain the same

Uh. No.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

So I can eat 6000 calories of clean holy food and not gain an ounce? Can I eat 1500 calories of total "crap" and gain weight with my maintenance calories being 2500?
    That's what you got out of that link?:flowerforyou:
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    losing weight, yes you can eat crap at a calorie deficient, but it only works so long, it doesn't keep the weight off, and it is not good for maintaining a healthier lifestyle. forget about losing weight with a diet, start thinking about achieving a healthier lifestyle through permanant habits and changes.

example. cutting soda, people do it, they lose weight, then they go back to drinking soda and maybe gain it back. if you're going to cut soda, cut it because it's unhealthy and you don't want to drink it....not because it's a quick way to drop calories. if you are confident that you can never permantly give up soda, then start figuring out how to fit it into your life in a moderate and accountable way.

I refer to this as method as the twinkie diet....yes you can lose weight eating nothing but twinkies at a calorie deficit but is it healthy? HELL NO. your body needs so much more, weight loss goal, or not.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hormones have certainly affected my weight but only indirectly. PMS made me cry during random Hallmark commercials which led to eating a large bag of chips, followed by a pint of icecream and a chaser of wine. But I'm sure it was the hormones and not what I ate that caused the weight :laugh: If only female hormone flucuatations lead to excessive kale consumption instead.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I refuse to believe ice cream has calories. I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • jaywolo
    jaywolo Posts: 4
    Options
  • jaywolo
    jaywolo Posts: 4
    Options

My thoughts exactly!
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I refuse to believe ice cream has calories. I reject your reality and substitute my own.

:flowerforyou:
  • charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly!

the link has nothing to do with clean vs dirty eating. these terms are subjective and cannot be scientifically quantified. It merely addresses the arguement people make that calorie in/out is supported by the laws of thermodynamics which it is not. The article does cite research showing that the body shows more thermogenesis with isocaloric amounts of protein than with fat and carbs. that alone suggests there is more to weight loss than calorie in/out
  • charlieibeling
    Options
    Not always. Hormones play a huge role in weight loss. I've seen lots of people do near starvation diets while doing 2 hours of cardio a day and not lose weight. Leptin plays a big role. If your leptin levels are high you will lose more weight than low levels while calories in/out remain the same

Uh. No.

um yes because i have trained them
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Uh. No.

In..

How large of a deficit are you claiming these clients are running while not losing weight to get Starvation + Cardio =/= weightloss.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Uh. No.

I can almost guarantee they're lying to you about what they ate. I used to binge eat and drink a lot. You'd never get me to admit to my trainer at the time though.
  • charlieibeling
    Options

Uh. No.

I can almost guarantee they're lying to you about what they ate. I used to binge eat and drink a lot. You'd never get me to admit to my trainer at the time though.

these were people i were training for competitions so I know they were not lying as we would spend tons of time going over contest prep. I know one girl was eating less than I wanted. She came to me with a shot metabolism and about a month out of her bikini competition i had her on about 1100 calories doing cardio in the morning and and evening session without dropping any weight. I know this is a much more extreme example than most peoples routines but it just goes to show how little we understand weight loss and what is really happening inside the body.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Uh. No.

these were people i were training for competitions so I know they were not lying as we would spend tons of time going over contest prep. I know one girl was eating less than I wanted. She came to me with a shot metabolism and about a month out of her bikini competition i had her on about 1100 calories doing cardio in the morning and and evening session without dropping any weight. I know this is a much more extreme example than most peoples routines but it just goes to show how little we understand weight loss and what is really happening inside the body.

Fair enough :). Nutrition and weight loss is definitely complex and there isn't a one solution fix.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Uh. No.

So, your client was netting about....what...500 calories and not losing weight if I read this right? Even if I read this wrong and she's at 1100 net she had to be in over a 1000 calorie deficit....and you're claiming she didn't lose weight. hmmmmmmm.....sure.

Let's say that metabolic damage WAS in play here. You just used a severe example to try to move the goal posts, and basically admitted it wasn't about WHAT she was eating it was trying to figure out her CICO equation that was failing. I don't know why someone would be training somebody and advising 1100 calories and 2hrs of cardio a day....but that a morals question someone else can answer.