Advice at the Gym

Options
amandzor
amandzor Posts: 386 Member
This is the first time I've ever actually said something to someone working out. Usually, at the gym I"m focused, in my zone, and have no interest in conversations.

That being said, I saw a heavier girl (probably 260) on the leg press machine, just like jamming along at less than 100 lbs, and clearly had no idea what she was doing. When she realized I was watching her, she blinked awkwardly (I am the queen of awkward) and I mentioned that if she upped her weight, and did fewer reps, with 8,9,10 being fairly difficult, she'd have better results.

She looked at me, confused, so I mentioned that as far as legs go, you pretty much press your weight every time you stand up. So, start at your weight, and add a little from there, because she's a lot stronger than she thinks. The fog seemed to clear a little, I apologized for butting in, and went back to my own things.

I hope I at least offered her some food for thought, or maybe I just made a really awkward conversation.

Either way, I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them (on either side) and if not, what you would do if you saw someone struggling with properly using equipment?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Nope.
    Unless I saw something borderline dangerous, I wouldn't.
    I also don't see that as improper use. Maybe not the most efficient use, but not struggling or improper.

There are many programs and many theories to working out, some I agree with, some I don't. I decide for me what is "right" and I let other people do their routine.
    I generally don't give out advice unless specifically asked.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I have seen things in the gym that I would comment on but is it really my place to do so and how credible can I be. I see what I think is incorrect form that would lead to injury all the time but can I comment. Now people usually ask me for my opinion on

doing something right
    form of exercise
    How I lift what I lift
    etc

I actually had someone at the gym ask me "I do not mean to offend you but how are you still fat and you can jump rope like that?"
    My answer was my diet is trash. We both laugh and went back to working out.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've ever actually said something to someone working out. Usually, at the gym I"m focused, in my zone, and have no interest in conversations.

That being said, I saw a heavier girl (probably 260) on the leg press machine, just like jamming along at less than 100 lbs, and clearly had no idea what she was doing. When she realized I was watching her, she blinked awkwardly (I am the queen of awkward) and I mentioned that if she upped her weight, and did fewer reps, with 8,9,10 being fairly difficult, she'd have better results.

She looked at me, confused, so I mentioned that as far as legs go, you pretty much press your weight every time you stand up. So, start at your weight, and add a little from there, because she's a lot stronger than she thinks. The fog seemed to clear a little, I apologized for butting in, and went back to my own things.

I hope I at least offered her some food for thought, or maybe I just made a really awkward conversation.

Either way, I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them (on either side) and if not, what you would do if you saw someone struggling with properly using equipment?

I would actually thank you, if it was me you were trying to help. Never happened to me, but I would hope someone would help me if I was doing something wrong.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd be annoyed if I was working out and someone came up to me and told me that I need to up my weight. Why? Because you don't know why I am lifting the weight I am. I could be working out with an injury and light weight is the only thing that I can do. I could be just starting out, never lifted in my life, and therefore lifting something heavy isn't really something I can do yet. Or I could be on my last set of exercises and my muscles are fatigued and I am exhausted and light weights are the only thing I can handle for the last few things I have to do. Or I am doing shoulder and since I am incredibly weak in that area some exercises I am forced to use light weights on.

Also I have never "butted in" and told someone they were doing something wrong or told them to lift more or less or what have you because it's not my place. Yes, I see people doing things horribly wrong -- and one guy who goes to the gym teaches people how to do exercises completely wrong -- but it's not my place to say anything.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    20+ rep sets on leg press > 8 rep sets
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i'm failing to understand how she was improperly using the equipment?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I would never comment on someone's workout - that's just me. I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you if someone is doing something wrong because I don't look at one person long enough to notice. I once had a guy correct my pull-up form because I wasn't fully lowering myself to engage my lats (he was right), but I was still learning and didn't have the strength to fully lower myself. I still don't like that guy.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    nope, I wouldnt want to be responsible for someone possibly injuring themselves. What if she had bad knees or something?
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am usually open to receiving advice from people at the gym but lately this one guy pretty much follows me around and criticises me. it happened twice last week and it's beginning to get just a bit annoying.

I will always listen to people's opinions, and particularly those of the gym employees but this guy is not one of those.
    it makes me so mad, I know he's trying to help but when i'm doing what I am told to do by my trainer and it feels like I am doing it right based on what I have been told and which muscles I can feel it in, then it's irritating to say the least.

I don't offer advice to others as I don't feel it's my place unless asked.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If I see an attractive woman, I start spotting her without being asked
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Yeah,NO.

not your business.

There have been times when I am coming back from my back issues and need to go lighter, or am varying my workout and doing higher reps that day... I would hate if someone came up and started trying to school me.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    but do you share your cookies?
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    People think there are special rules to conversation in the gym but that's just silly. As with the rest of life, if you are just trying to be kind and friendly I don't see anything wrong with it. I think the biggest issue in the gym is most people think they are doing it right and most people are wrong. You need to appreciate the fact that there is a good possibility that you know less than the person you are advising.

Personally I would probably make an observation like you mentioned at the water cooler or in the locker room and phrase it as a question to find out why she was doing her reps that way rather than telling her how she should be doing her reps. She might be recovering from an injury or following a specific program and in the end you could learn something or end up helping her out if she wanted it.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Generally I would say hi to them first & then ask if they had used that machine much before. If they say no then I would ask if they would like some advise. If I can tell someone looks lost then i'll ask if they're having a problem and would like some help. Sometimes it's little things like not knowing how to adjust the seat on a bike ir nit knowing half the cardio equipment has a fan. I've seen people struggling or looking lost and those are the people who don't come back later because they feel intimidated. The people at my gym have made me feel nothing but welcome so I try to do the same with others. I've had random people just walk up and tell me they thought I was doing great. i need to loose a lot of weight and in my opinion positive reinforcement goes a long way. I guess what i'm saying is it's not bad to go up to someone and help, but how you do it is key. Basically, "hey you're doing that wrong, do this" is different then "hi, I was watching you and think you're doing great, but you also might try doing it this way because..."
    Just my opinion from personal experience. :)
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    People think there are special rules to conversation in the gym but that's just silly. As with the rest of life, if you are just trying to be kind and friendly I don't see anything wrong with it. I think the biggest issue in the gym is most people think they are doing it right and most people are wrong. You need to appreciate the fact that there is a good possibility that you know less than the person you are advising.

Personally I would probably make an observation like you mentioned at the water cooler or in the locker room and phrase it as a question to find out why she was doing her reps that way rather than telling her how she should be doing her reps. She might be recovering from an injury or following a specific program and in the end you could learn something or end up helping her out if she wanted it.

Or you could just not say anything because it's not your business why someone is working out a certain way.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I've had more than one person try to correct my form on squats when I am doing low-bar squats and they clearly have no idea what a low-bar squat is. It annoys the piss out of me.
  • amandzor
    Options

She was pretty cute. As for the awkward staring.

As I said, I apologized. It was a knee-jerk reaction, and too late by the time I realized I was saying something. I'm so not sly at these things.

It's unlikely I'll do it again. Just curious.
  • amandzor
    Options
    I've seen people struggling or looking lost and those are the people who don't come back later because they feel intimidated.

This definitely played a role. I'm always glad to see the full-figured ladies at the gym, because I really want to see them kick *kitten*. Way more than the cardio bunnies with their magazines. I didn't want her to give up because it "wasn't working". She did look more than a little lost and uncertain.

I hope she comes back. Minus my awkward staring.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I have been tempted but I don't .

I did, however, GET some advice last night which I gladly listened to, processed and tried out.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I think it's situational; if you feel like you can say something go for it. Depending on who it was and how they spoke to me I might appreciate the help a lot. But if I can tell it's just some creeper guy that's creepin' I'd rather he not.