Wait to log your weight?

Options

Replies

• oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, just to get used to the fluctuations and familiar with my body's rhythm, and I really don't weigh in every week. I weigh in when I'm positive I've lost. I recently weighed in at 192, but the day I did, the scale actually read 191.2. I am, of course, now hovering around 192 because of small fluctuations. I tend to be conservative with my weigh ins because not overstating my progress helps keep me grounded, I think.

So yeah, sometimes I can end up weighing in twice a week, sometimes it's not for a week and a half or more. I just let my body do its thing and don't get too hung up on a time frame. Slow and steady, right?
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day.

Sometimes it goes up.

More often it goes down.

Your weight is supposed to fluctuate. The trend is all that matters.
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Friday morning
    Naked and in the same spot

Log it no matter what
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I log when I see a new low weight on the scale. Inevitably I will see a slight increase the next several times I weighed myself, but I always go down again and then some more. I figure that rather than having numbers zigzagging up and down, I will only track the losses. And it's motivation to get back to that lower number! Hope this makes sense.

That's what I do also. Sometimes that might take as long as a month for the scale to drop, but I prefer to see the downward line.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Pick one day a week ( I personally like to Weigh in on Wednesday Mornings) weigh in and log it and Move on..... Don't over think it........
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    I weigh myself when i first wake up, and usually after I work out and then again before bed

I like to see the numbers and what ive eaten and done and what does good results. I do not take the numbers to heart as most of it is water weight or I was in the sauna for a bit, so I dont log or take the numbers too seriously, i usually update every 3 days, sometimes I wait weekly
  • justisroyster
    justisroyster Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You should weigh yourself in the morning after at least 5 days of working out. You won't see a change within the same day or the next day weighing yourself. You have to put in days of work and check your progress afterwards.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I always log losses. Then I wait for the fluctuation to get done until I see another loss.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If I see a loss that it is more than would be normal, I would wait for another week or just put a slightly higher number that the scale shows. Even when starting the weight loss I would log the weight only once a week, even if I used the scale daily.

But at this point in my weight loss (nearly the end), I usually take a larger span, like 2 or 3 weeks before changing my weight. The weight comes off harder now, so I can really see good results in a couple of days or a week.
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I weight once a week and only log if I lost weight. When I started this journey I worried more about the scale each week, but at this point I know if I'm following the program or not and that's more important than the number on the scale.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself first thing in the morning, naked, after you use the bathroom, and before you eat anything. That's the only way to get any sort of consistency in my opinion. I do this daily, and step on the scale 3/ 4 times just to make sure the reading is consistent, and I've never found any wild variations like some others report. I am using a mechanical scale, one with a dial, so there's no sort of digital funkiness from low batteries/ etc.

Re: water weight, you shouldn't have any really, if you weigh yourself like above, but of course you might be retaining water due to certain things in your diet. I found I retained a little water when I ate wheat, and possibly when I ate a lot of dairy, so when I cut them out, I always found I dropped a few pounds which I attributed to water weight. Also I'm doing lower carb right now, and for the last three weeks or so, and found I lost about 3 pounds in the first week which I attribute to water weight, but then again some of that could be the wheat thing also, as I've not touched anything with wheat in it since I started eating this way.
  • ladybird89
    ladybird89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you're having a problem trusting the scale then you should find out if it's working properly. Leave the scale in the same spot and then step on it a few different times. Does the number keep changing? Then your scale is probably broken.

I ONLY weigh myself in the morning before I have eaten anything. I always do it naked because even a bra and underwear can make a difference and I have a tendency to be a little OCD. If I lose weight, I hold off until that weight has stabilized (meaning I weigh myself on a consistent basis and get the same result) before logging it on MFP.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I weight myself naked every Thursday morning around 6:15a. This is the weight that I log once a week. Other days I check for flucuations, but I don't get all up in arms.
  • striebir
    striebir Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week on Sunday, first thing in the morning. This is the only time I log it. I may weigh myself periodically through the week but I only count the Sunday morning weigh in.
  • ExpectantHope
    ExpectantHope Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week - first thing every Monday morning and I always log that weight.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but only log the losses and only log those after I've been at (roughly) the same weight for two days in a row.
  • teemama2
    teemama2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log daily, and just watch the trend, although I use the 1 week setting on my iPhone app to guage. I read somewhere that weighing daily is a habit of those who have lost weight and kept it off (as is logging/journaling food, so go MFPers!). I don't ever want 5 - 10 lbs to sneak up on me again. :/

Love this ^^^ :love: :love:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You can trust the scale...but you have to realize that you have natural fluctuations too. I weigh every day and log an average of my weigh ins for the week. You should be far more concerned with trend analysis here than the exact weigh in to weigh in numbers. Even in maintenance, it's all about trend analysis...it's not static...nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs all of the time...it's a range and thus necessary to monitor the overall trend rather than getting all wrapped up in the minutia of weigh in to weigh in numbers
  • kherrons
    kherrons Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Sunday mornings, before I eat or drink anything, but after the usual morning routine. Birthday suit. Same spot in the bathroom. I log that weight regardless then shove the scale off in the corner til the following Sunday.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month or so, log what it says, only down since Feb (when I started this time round)

More importantly is what i see in the mirror, how clothes fit, and my measurements i take every Sunday morning.