Any tips to avoid boredom on the treadmill?

Options

Replies

• CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Usually when I get bored on the elliptical I just start reading a book, but it has to be something funny so that it keeps me upbeat.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    troga.
    you rang?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    RUN OUTSIDE. Dreadmill pretty much sucks and should be avoided at all costs.

QFT :flowerforyou:

Seriously...I can run for over an hour outside....but I can only take the dreadmill for 10-15 minutes, tops.

treadmill is OK for me but I absolutely can't do elliptical...I don't know why this machine kills me...even with all the good shows and musica and interval tricks...it kills me after 5 minutes.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Stick with what works. I love music, but not when I work out.... I need something that will take my attention more, like a TV or talk show. I always listen to Howard Stern or watch Netflix. The Netflix app is awesome!!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Pretend you're in training to steal the Hope Diamond. Always less boring than thinking about how many calories you burned already.

Has that thing been stolen lately? Found? Returned?
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    Ive been challenging myself as I have been getting quiet bored on the treadmill

I usually walk for 2 minutes, run for 2, walk for 3, run for 3, walk for 5, run for 5, you get the picture, sometimes I challenge myself with a bigger incline on the runs, sometimes I dont, but I find myself very busy on the treadmill looking at the time and prepping for my next long run. usually you are so exhausted after the run, the walk faze goes quick as you are catching your breathe

If you do not like to run, I am sure you could walk at a faster pace, then a slower pace, faster pace etc
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been doing this combo on the treadmill: C25k app and Pandora radio through a bluetooth earpiece and a Kindle Paperwhite on the console for reading, all at the same time.

Cardiocoach.com audio workouts are fun, too, if you can handle instrumental music with interval coaching mixed in. I like the ones that mix hills and sprints. He expects you to be using a HRM and know your zones.
  • abbymgonzo
    abbymgonzo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I watch the clock for most of my treadmill workout. I will run at a pace of around 6.5 for two minutes, and then sprint at 9 or more for 30 seconds to one minute. I repeat this until I have been doing the workout for about 20-25 minutes. It really doesn't give me much time to watch a show, because I'm focused on the time of the intervals and my breathing.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I watch the clock for most of my treadmill workout. I will run at a pace of around 6.5 for two minutes, and then sprint at 9 or more for 30 seconds to one minute. I repeat this until I have been doing the workout for about 20-25 minutes. It really doesn't give me much time to watch a show, because I'm focused on the time of the intervals and my breathing.

exactly this. :)
  • teenie_71
    teenie_71 Posts: 44
    Options
    RUN OUTSIDE. Dreadmill pretty much sucks and should be avoided at all costs.

TOTALLY agree! I would kill myself if i had to use a treadmill everyday, truthfully I've never run on one and never plan to LOL
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with Netflix? That's my number one answer if you are mainly using it for walking or slower running.

Also books on tape, podcasts, music, maybe Zombies Run! (I haven't tried it, but it sounds interesting), and if you are going to be working on speed or incline, working in intervals usually makes it more bearable.

Wondering the same thing. I usually watch Chopped when I use the elliptical, or some other favorite show that doesn't require much concentration. And I usually do intervals.
  • loislanew
    loislanew Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm a reader so I like to read books on my Nook while on the treadmill. I just set it to a big font so I can keep my place. I also have on wireless bluetooth headphones and listen to upbeat music. Finally, I throw a towel over the timer so I'm not watching the clock.
  • Idontwanttobeahamplanet
    Options
    There's really nothing wrong with Netflix. I only allow myself to watch OITNB when using the treadmill. The thing is, I'm looking for other unheard of activities while doing so. Walking outside is an option...for only half of the year, as I live in Winterpeg!
  • zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've found that electronic music motivates me the best while running. You can run to the beat and the fast pace of the music gives me more energy
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I listen to novels. Mostly mysteries and thrillers.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Get off the treadmill and run outside
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I agree outside running/walking is better for you than the treadmill. Which propels you forward. and in the nice summer weather infinitely nicer. Get yourself a nice mp3 player and listen to audiobooks or just music.

You might be surprised what jus walking can do as well. Last month I got myself to the point where I can brisk walk 2 hours a day and I do that and 2 lifting sessions and 1 circuit training/running high intensity fitness session a week. The result was a 3% drop in body fat in a month. Which put a big frikkin smile on my face.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Walking outside is an option...for only half of the year, as I live in Winterpeg!

Not if you dress properly. :flowerforyou: I ran outside (in freezing cold and LOTS of snow - we got almost 200" this past winter) all the way through early January when I got sick and was out of commission for over two weeks. It took so long for my cough to go away that I had to start back slowing with low intensity indoor workout videos and didn't resume running outside until April. :grumble:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree outside running/walking is better for you than the treadmill. Which propels you forward.
    Mine must be running backwards. :bigsmile:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Try Running.........................

this.