Gaining lean muscles.

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    So i have started workingout hard with my Personal trainer. But i know the hardest work is to e able to put something in my mouth every 3 hour

I want to get my body like Taylor Lautner.

Is it right that i need to eat every 3 hours?

Carbs, Protein and fats in each meal and snacks?

But what kind of foods should i eat for snacking?

Like this

taylor-lautner-before-copy.jpg

You do not have to eat every 3 hours. I consume all my calories in an 8 hour window. Usually about 2 meals, and 2 snacks

You need to make sure your macros are right for your goals, along with over all calories

Whatever foods that fit your macros and calories
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I am 172cm tall, 75kilos.

I calculated that i need 2850kcal a day to gain musclemass. Added about 300-400kcal ontop of my "daily need"

So

350g carbs
    150g protein
    65g fat

Does this seem allright?
    Protein is fine. ~1gram per pound of lean mass, so 150g at your weight of 165lbs is good. More protein may be beneficial when losing weight.
  • stepnstrong
    Options
    lol...reminds me of when I was 14.

I never post on MFP forums but I'll make this my first and one of the few. As a 19 yr old who is in shape, has been lifting since 14-15 and has read more peer reviewed journal articles on nutrition - I believe I got a fair amount of validity in my post.

a) Doesn't matter when you eat - or more precisely it is very insignificant to hypertrophy and fat gain/loss.

b) It is difficult to gain mass on a deficit (although I still do when I cut), so you have to be in a caloric surplus which I hope you're not complaining about.

c) Progressive overload is needed in training to gain hypertrophy or atleast to maximise your potential.

1g of protein per lb of lbm or 1.5 if you feel like it.
    fill the rest of cals with fat and carbs.

Eat whatever types of foods you want, but try to get foods with micronutrients that will also assist in recovery.

That is all.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

I calculated that i need 2850kcal a day to gain musclemass. Added about 300-400kcal ontop of my "daily need"

So

350g carbs
    150g protein
    65g fat

Does this seem allright?

If your goal is 2850 you may want to make sure your MACROS add up to that goal. At 350, 150, and 65, I'm coming up with 2585 a day which may put you below the 2800 cal goal by about 104,000 calories in a year. Just spitballing; I may have done the math incorrectly. And I agree making your P and F minimums just for sharts and goggles.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options

So

350g carbs
    150g protein
    65g fat

Does this seem allright?
    Protein is fine. ~1gram per pound of lean mass, so 150g at your weight of 165lbs is good. More protein may be beneficial when losing weight.

^This
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

So

350g carbs
    150g protein
    65g fat

Does this seem allright?

Up the protein.

150 in a surplus would be enough, I would suggest that fat and protein goals are minimums and carbs a max though. More protein and less carbs wouldn't hurt, just very little if any added benefit from adding more protein than that, but no harm in more either.
    My reasoning is that he's young as well, and probably still growing.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options

I never post on MFP forums but I'll make this my first and one of the few. As a 19 yr old who is in shape, has been lifting since 14-15 and has read more peer reviewed journal articles on nutrition - I believe I got a fair amount of validity in my post.

a) Doesn't matter when you eat - or more precisely it is very insignificant to hypertrophy and fat gain/loss.

b) It is difficult to gain mass on a deficit (although I still do when I cut), so you have to be in a caloric surplus which I hope you're not complaining about.

c) Progressive overload is needed in training to gain hypertrophy or atleast to maximise your potential.

Eat whatever types of foods you want, but try to get foods with micronutrients that will also assist in recovery.

That is all.

If you are gaining mass on a deficit you are denying the laws of physics. In reality it is more likely you are revealing more muscle due to lower BF %, which makes it appear as though you have gained mass.
  • stepnstrong
    Options

That is all.

If you are gaining mass on a deficit you are denying the laws of physics. In reality it is more likely you are revealing more muscle due to lower BF %, which makes it appear as though you have gained mass.

Just because you are genetically incapable and/or don't train hard enough (contrary to popular opinion - I train just as hard if not harder on cuts with weights) don't rule out the possibility of gaining LBM.

Obviously you look bigger when you get leaner, but when you measure yourself throughout a cut, you'll know if you are gaining mass. It's pretty damn obvious.

This is definitely the last comment. Only replied so peoples opinions don't get swayed from utter bro science as stated above.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Just because you are genetically incapable and/or don't train hard enough (contrary to popular opinion - I train just as hard if not harder on cuts with weights) don't rule out the possibility of gaining LBM.

Obviously you look bigger when you get leaner, but when you measure yourself throughout a cut, you'll know if you are gaining mass. It's pretty damn obvious.

This is definitely the last comment. Only replied so peoples opinions don't get swayed from utter bro science as stated above.

What mechanisms are you using to determine that you are in fact gaining lean mass while in a caloric deficit?
    How is it obvious?
  • jmt08c
    Options

That is all.

No offense but you are a child, and I competed in collegiate athletics working with some of the best weight coaches and nutritionists in the country. Something tells me that my sources of information are more viable than your internet articles. Physics > genetics buddy bring your ego down a bit.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Do not confuse "pump" with gaining LBM. Also, if you train harder on a cut, you're doing at least one thing wrong.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options

No offense but you are a child, and I competed in collegiate athletics working with some of the best weight coaches and nutritionists in the country. Something tells me that my sources of information are more viable than your internet articles. Physics > genetics buddy bring your ego down a bit.

To be honest with you after reading that, I think you are the child and you have no clue what physics are. The amount of energy to weight ratio between fat and muscle is almost 6 to 1. People who take steroids have no problem at all burning fat and building muscle. Yes they are powerful drugs but they are not magic and cant break the laws of physics. It doesnt work anywhere near as well, but yes it can be done with out the drugs.

Also if what you said was true about working with the best coaches and blah blah blah, then chances are you or people you know have hopped on the bicycle a few times.
  • amakayg
    amakayg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My coach eats for health and not pleasure but says that he eats 3000 calories a day to keep up his metabolism and exercises twice a day (or more on some days).
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Please eat OP.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Bump; some good information being shared here!
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yes! Eating every three hours keeps your metabolism moving. My boyfriend eats every three hours and has awesome lean muscle mass. Ask your trainer what snacks he suggests for you. Whatever they are, you'll want at least a little protein with every snack. Meat, string cheese and Greek yogurt are great, as well as protein bars and shakes. Happy training!
    Unfortunately this is incorrect. Food timing doesn't speed your metabolism, nor do you need protein with every meal. However making one believe it does is a great way to make people buy a protein shake....
    The metabolism doesn't work this way though it seems logical that it would. What matters is that you get it in. The problem with telling people this is that most struggle in prepping 6 or 8 meals a day, day in and day out. For some it's too hard to be sustainable and good thing that it's not required. When people make changes in their body due to meal timing or meal count it's causation vs correlation in that the person is reaping the benefit of doing something that allows them to get a better amount of food/macronutrients. Not that they ate a certain number of meals a day or time of day. Source:1 Sport Performance Research in New Zealand (SPRINZ) at AUT Millennium Institute, AUT University, 17 Antares Place, Mairangi Bay, Auckland 0632, New Zealand

2 California State University, Northridge, CA, USA

3 Division of Nutritional Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, USA

For all author emails, please log on."Previous optimal meal frequency studies have lacked structured resistance training protocols. Moreover, there are no studies that specifically examined meal frequency in bodybuilders, let alone during contest preparation conditions. Despite this limitation, the available research has consistently refuted the popular belief that a grazing pattern (smaller, more frequent meals) raises energy expenditure compared to a gorging pattern (larger, less frequent meals). Disparate feeding patterns ranging from two to seven meals per day have been compared in tightly controlled studies using metabolic chambers, and no significant differences in 24-hour thermogenesis have been detected [100,101]. It should be noted that irregular feeding patterns across the week, as opposed to maintaining a stable daily frequency, has been shown to decrease post-prandial thermogenesis [102] and adversely affect insulin sensitivity and blood lipid profile [103]. However, relevance of the latter findings might be limited to sedentary populations, since regular exercise is well-established in its ability to improve insulin sensitivity and blood lipids."
  • marise1113
    marise1113 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    have you talked to your trainer about how to eat?
  • jmt08c
    Options
    To be honest with you after reading that, I think you are the child and you have no clue what physics are. The amount of energy to weight ratio between fat and muscle is almost 6 to 1. People who take steroids have no problem at all burning fat and building muscle. Yes they are powerful drugs but they are not magic and cant break the laws of physics. It doesnt work anywhere near as well, but yes it can be done with out the drugs.

Also if what you said was true about working with the best coaches and blah blah blah, then chances are you or people you know have hopped on the bicycle a few times.
    [/quote/

Thanks for your rant about nothing. Maybe you should have read his post claiming he gained mass on a caloric deficit, but maybe that was too advanced for you to comprehend.

Calories burned > calories consumed does not equal a gain in mass (note mass is different than strength). Not sure why you decided to talk about steroids as that had nothing to do with his post. And you're right the weight training coaches in school had done cycles before, however I'm not sure how that relates to eating less and somehow gaining weight...unless you're suggesting he take steroids?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Unless you have the genetics to look (a bit) like Taylor Lautner, I wouldn't count on it.

eat: The every three hours thing has been proven unnecessary. Take a look at leangains.com. As far as the rest of it is concerned - whatever works for you, specifically. You won't know until you experiment.

I look like this

http://i58.tinypic.com/335e53a.jpg

But isent there something like. You have to eat carbs with protein, if not the body will turn the proteins into energy instead of using it to rebuild muscles?

Never heard that. It's probably nonsense.

Here's the deal. People have A LOT of advice to give. 98% of it is crap they made up/heard once from some guy/use to sell you stuff you don't need.

You want abs? Get to a low body fat percentage. Do that by eating at a calorie deficit. Lift weights, get plenty of protein. Drink water. Rest.

That's it.

Just because you haven't heard of something before doesn't make it BS.

The pairing of protein and fiber (carbs) makes you feel full for longer, that is why your trainer is suggesting it.

Outside of that pretty much what this guy says