IIFYM vs. low-carb vs. primal blueprint

Options
AsaThorsWoman
AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
Hello!

My lovely IIFYM friends on MFP gave me 8 levels of grief for following a low-carb diet this year.

That sucked so I quit doing it.

So today I was looking over this http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and it set my carbs at 40.

I'm not sure if I'm doing the math correctly, though.

I'm 5ft 7 1/2.

Weight: 180 - 182

body fat %32

I am 31 years old.

This says my BMR is 1585

And my TDEE is 2180

It also says

"- Protein: 1 gram per pound of body weight
- Fat: .45 grams per pound of body weight
- Carbs: The remaining number of calories left will be filled with carbs"

So...

I'm coming up with 180 g protien, which is %45.

80 g fat, which is %45

and the remainder is %10 carbs which is 40 grams.

(^^ I came up with this as I plugged the numbers into my MFP diary goal settings...)

What on earth is the difference between IIFYM and low-carb, they both seem like low-carb diets to me unless I'm simply doing the math all wrong. And why did all the IIFYM people give me so much grief over low-carbing if their diet is low-carbing too?

I'm guessing that if I weighed 120 lb, I would need far less of the other macros and then my carb allotance would go up, so it's basically saying the more you weigh the less carbs you take in for the IIFYM diet. That makes sense in some ways, but if that's the deal, than why are we celebrating IIFYM and knocking low-carbers if they're basically the same thing for the overweight populace?

Primal says for weight loss to eat between 50-100 carbs for weight loss.

Low carb is under 20 net, and this IIFYM is coming out too 40 per day.

Diets and macros are confusing.

I'll just wait for someone to link in the sexy pants thread.

:heart:

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Iifym has a keto option, too I think. It gets wonky sometimes. Try Scoobyworkshop one. I follow iifym and I can promise you I am not low carb. I mean, if you like it go for it but I just don't function well without I'm at about 300+ right now. In weight loss I was at about 250ish

ETA: for me, I focus on getting 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein, hit or exceed fat and fiber. Then, fill the rest with carbs, so as long as I'm hitting my micros, too
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    It should be 1g protein per pound of lean body mass, not total body weight.

I didn't do the math, but that'll change your calculations big time
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    When I filled out the calculator in IIFYM, under step 3 it suggested 1 g of protein per lb of LEAN mass, not body mass. I just think that's a typo on the page you linked. That will lower your protein goal and up your carb goal. You can also customize it to something like .8 g of protein per lb of lean body mass.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    So you stopped doing a low carb diet to do another low carb diet? I don't understand!

Set your carbs to 40-45%.....
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Did you actually use the macro calculator as it says to?

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

I put in your stats, used a 20% cut, and the middle options for fat/protein intake and it gave me:

1744 calories
    182carbs
    50fat
    142protein

Seems pretty reasonable to me. That's almost 40/30/30 which is extremely common.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    It should be 1g protein per pound of lean body mass, not total body weight.

I didn't do the math, but that'll change your calculations big time

That makes way more sense.

So how do you find your lean body mass?

If I weigh 180 and my body fat is %32, than my lean body mass is 122.4, so 122g protein daily?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would not use the IIFYM calculator to set your macros.

I would limit the fats to no more than 30% of your calorie allotment. Also, use your goal weigh rather than your actual weight for protein calculations (or LBM unless you are quite lean or on a large deficit, then it should be higher).

That part of the IIFYM site is just a calculator that gives you macros and calories. There are many other ways to set them. IIFYM means If It Fits Your Macros - your macros can be whatever you chose as best for you.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    When I was deep in cut mode I think I was eating about 20% carbs, 45 % protein, and 35% fat. But I would do weekly carb refeeds at maintainance calories which definitely helped a lot. Now I'm reverse dieting and adding more carbs in slowly.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I know I do not want a low-carb diet.

I'm trying to figure out what to aim for as far as the protein and fat goes, and carbs, too.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

I would limit the fats to no more than 30% of your calorie allotment. Also, use your goal weigh rather than your actual weight for protein calculations (or LBM unless you are quite lean or on a large deficit, then it should be higher).

That part of the IIFYM site is just a calculator that gives you macros and calories. There are many other ways to set them. IIFYM means If It Fits Your Macros - your macros can be whatever you chose as best for you.
    For fats, one thing I learned was if I kept them too low I had major mood issues (even when things were going well). The theory of keeping the fats higher served a duel purpose: 1) help satiety 2) help regulate hormones. Once I upped my fats I felt totally normal again.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Does lean body mass = the amount of your weight that is not body fat?
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

I'm 5ft 7 1/2.

Weight: 180 - 182

body fat %32

I am 31 years old.

This says my BMR is 1585

And my TDEE is 2180

It also says

"- Protein: 1 gram per pound of body weight
    - Fat: .45 grams per pound of body weight
    - Carbs: The remaining number of calories left will be filled with carbs"

So...

I'm coming up with 180 g protien, which is %45.

80 g fat, which is %45

and the remainder is %10 carbs which is 40 grams.

Edit: because my computer is a jerk

With 180g of protein, 80g of fat, the rest of your calories would be for carbs which would be 185g.

Which would work. But I would lower the protein, and up the carbs because carbs are yum.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Yes.

Go read everything here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

For fats, one thing I learned was if I kept them too low I had major mood issues (even when things were going well). The theory of keeping the fats higher served a duel purpose: 1) help satiety 2) help regulate hormones. Once I upped my fats I felt totally normal again.

I agree with your comments re fats being important, but 30% is not low. Generally you will see something like 25% - but up to 30% gives more wiggle room (although I should have been clearer that I meant 25 - 30%). The problem with fats, while tasty and beneficial, they have more cals per gram so cut into the 'leftovers' of your calorie allowance.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

I put in your stats, used a 20% cut, and the middle options for fat/protein intake and it gave me:

1744 calories
    182carbs
    50fat
    142protein

Seems pretty reasonable to me. That's almost 40/30/30 which is extremely common.

This^^
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I too wouldn't use the IFFYM calculator. It gets pretty wonky.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

1744 calories
    182carbs
    50fat
    142protein

This^^

^^^^
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

1744 calories
    182carbs
    50fat
    142protein

This^^

^^^^

Hai
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

No. It's total body mass - fat mass.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Jac White, how do I calculate that?

Is the fat mass 180 x %32= 57.6lb

and the total body mass 180 if that's my weight?