IIFYM vs. low-carb vs. primal blueprint

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Jac White, how do I calculate that?

Is the fat mass 180 x %32= 57.6lb

No, thats not how it works. Your total weight of 180lbs, is a sum of your lean body mass (100%), and body fat of 32%. To calculate what your lean body mass is you divide your body weight by 132, and multiply by 100. Ergo, your lean body mass is 136lbs, and adding 32% of fat onto that, 44lbs (32% of 136lbs), gives you your current body weight of 180lbs. Lot of bad math floating around in some of the replies, but the above is correct.

wow.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options

No, thats not how it works. Your total weight of 180lbs, is a sum of your lean body mass (100%), and body fat of 32%. To calculate what your lean body mass is you divide your body weight by 132, and multiply by 100. Ergo, your lean body mass is 136lbs, and adding 32% of fat onto that, 44lbs (32% of 136lbs), gives you your current body weight of 180lbs. Lot of bad math floating around in some of the replies, but the above is correct.

lol.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    is this real life?

i'm just 12 kinds of pissed I didn't think of starting this thread to have dope and jac do my numbers for ME!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

just wanna let you know my eyes are cross eyed right now.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Does lean body mass = the amount of your weight that is not body fat?

No. It's total body mass - fat mass.

I hate to be pedantic. But those both say the same thing in different ways.

She was correct.

I thought it was that thing. the saaccharinchasm.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    is this real life?

Is it just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide...

No escape from reality.
    Open your eyes,
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What does this have to do with primal?
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options

^^this is not the way to calculate it. Your math is bad.

LBM + BF = total weight

BF = 32% x 180lb = 57.6lb
    LBM therefore = 180lb - 57.6lb = 122.4lb.

[Or, looking at it another way, 100% - 32% = 68% of LBM x 180lb = 122.4lb]

Hmm.. I was looking at it a slightly different way, and if I mislead, it was unintentional.

Way I was looking at it, was from lean body mass. Ie if my lean body mass is 100lbs, and my body fat measures 10%, then that body fat is expressed as a percentage of my lean body mass, ie 10% of 100lbs, or 10lbs. Is this wrong, or have I completely taken this up the wrong way ?

In any event, this would have been my assumption that drove my earlier post, ie that body fat % was expressed as a percentage of lean body mass. Now I'm curious to see it this is wrong or right :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

LBM + BF = total weight

Hmm.. I was looking at it a slightly different way, and if I mislead, it was unintentional.

Way I was looking at it, was from lean body mass. Ie if my lean body mass is 100lbs, and my body fat measures 10%, then that body fat is expressed as a percentage of my lean body mass, ie 10% of 100lbs, or 10lbs. Is this wrong, or have I completely taken this up the wrong way ?

In any event, this would have been my assumption that drove my earlier post, ie that body fat % was expressed as a percentage of lean body mass. Now I'm curious to see it this is wrong or right :)

If your lean mass is 100 lbs and you are 10% bodyfat, then your total body weight is 111.111. 100 lbs of this is fat free mass and 11.111 lbs is fat mass, and 11.111 = 10% of 111.111.

In the example you attempted previously I think you were confused, as Sara mentioned correctly.

Your % body fat is the percentage of your total weight that is fat.
    Your LBM is the remaining weight that is not fat.

I should be sleeping but I got up to pee.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

LBM + BF = total weight

BF as a % is always expressed as a percentage of total body weight.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You under estimated your body fat as well.

My body fat is 33% and I am 5'7" and weigh 168.8lbs. This are scientific numbers since I got it from a BOD POD (Body Composition Tracking System Analysis). My fat free mass was 113.2lbs. So, I should eat about 113-120gr of Protein. As others stated, fat is important as well. I distributed my macro Fat between 25-30%, Protein 25-30% and the rest filled with carbs, which is then 40-50%. Some days I am over that and some days I meet my macros. When I am over my carb goal, I am often under my protein. So, there is a co-relation.

Since I uppered my Protein, I am more satisfied and full, and I am dropping weight much faster, but still able to work out without fatigue or looking "fat-skinny".
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    BF as a % is always expressed as a percentage of total body weight.

Got ya, thanks for the clarification :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

My body fat is 33% and I am 5'7" and weigh 168.8lbs. This are scientific numbers since I got it from a BOD POD (Body Composition Tracking System Analysis). My fat free mass was 113.2lbs. So, I should eat about 113-120gr of Protein. As others stated, fat is important as well. I distributed my macro Fat between 25-30%, Protein 25-30% and the rest filled with carbs, which is then 40-50%. Some days I am over that and some days I meet my macros. When I am over my carb goal, I am often under my protein. So, there is a co-relation.

Since I uppered my Protein, I am more satisfied and full, and I am dropping weight much faster, but still able to work out without fatigue or looking "fat-skinny".

How do you know she underestimated her bf%?

And no, there is no such thing as "scientific numbers". They are measured with a machine that uses a two or three compartment model and as such, they are subject to model error, operator error and other variabilities. My "educated" estimate is that the bod pod gives an accuracy of +- 4% (at above 30% and female..., from various reads).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What does this have to do with primal?

When she did her original "calculations", her "math" was so far off that iifym have her a total carb allowance of 50 or something like that. Low carb diet gave her 40, and primal have her 100. Her real question, before this thread became a mathematics pop quiz, was "why do people make a big deal about iifym and give grief to low carb/paleo/primal eaters when iifym gives me less carbs to eat than those other options?"

Buuuuuut....and this will be difficult to believe, it turns out the premise of this thread was faulty.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

How do you know she underestimated her bf%?

And no, there is no such thing as "scientific numbers". They are measured with a machine that uses a two or three compartment model and as such, they are subject to model error, operator error and other variabilities. My "educated" estimate is that the bod pod gives an accuracy of +- 4% (at above 30% and female..., from various reads).

I'm curious as to how she came to this conclusion as well
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I heard there was π in here?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I heard there was π in here?

PI IS EXACTLY 3!!

KlUKKjT.gif
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

To all of the posters posting that the above are the same......thank you. You have helped me make my point.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

LOLWUT?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

To all of the posters posting that the above are the same......thank you. You have helped me make my point.

What point?

That you told someone no when they were correct?